• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap Ass Build Showing Promise

Fast Ed

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
I took a stock Rem 700 VS, cheapest heavy barrel in their lineup, had the barrel bobbed to 22" and recrowned. I had it bedded it in a B&C stock, and had the tactical bolt knob added. I then bolted a Springfield Armory 3rg Gen 4-14x56 scope (bought used for $350), one of Karsten's cheekpieces, and a cheap ass mag extension on it and went shooting.
308-Build.jpg

I was shooting at 200 yards, wind 5-10 at my back. Ammo was stuff I had loaded for my M1-A and not tuned at all to this gun. The bullet was a 168 Nosler J4. The first five are shown here. The shot on the left was the first, cold bore, clean bore shot. The shot on the right was called right.
Target-6.jpg

My next five were these. The high shot was called high.
Target-5.jpg

I then shot some 3 shot groups with the 168 SMK and 175 SMK, again, just stuff I had already loaded for the M1-A.

Target-1.jpg

Target-4.jpg

Then one more 5 shot with the Noslers again.

Target-2.jpg

For something that cost me less than $1100, I am pleased so far. I can't wait until I have the time to tune up some ammo for it.

Shameless plug. I had the work done by Jim See at Center Shot Sports in Pittsville, Wi. Jim is an F-Class and long range shooter, anal about his guns, and has opened up his own shop. http://www.centershotrifles.com/

Fast Ed

Re: Cheap Ass Build Showing Promise

Nice shooting Ed, glad to see that rifle doing so well.

The 25-06 is still out for blueing, I'll give him a call this week and see whats up. When it comes back it will be ready to go.
Jim