• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap Lathe for Practice Threading & Chambering

edlin_79

Luke
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
Whidbey Island
This is a relatively new lathe from what I understand. Most smaller lathes that I've looked at normally do not have a through spindle bore diameter large enough to put a blank through but this one does at 1.5." Gets a couple of good reviews. With a sturdy stand and if it has the ability to mount a spider on the other side of headstock, would this suffice to practice on?

Last edited:
it weighs 180 lb not going to very rigid. even a smaller american lathe than that built 70 years ago would weigh twice that much for reference.
i think youd outgrow it real quick.
for that money you could get an older lathe. but like you meantioned the spinle bore will prolly be like 7/8" or something...,
grizzly often runs sales and another place to look would be precision mathews.

This is a relatively new lathe from what I understand. Most smaller lathes that I've looked at normally do not have a through spindle bore diameter large enough to put a blank through but this one does at 1.5." Gets a couple of good reviews. With a sturdy stand and if it has the ability to mount a spider on the other side of headstock, would this suffice to practice on?

I’m not busting your balls but instead giving you some advice: there is no such thing as a cheap lathe. Shitty, definitely. But not cheap. If it doesn’t work you will need to fix it or buy another. That’s only the beginning. Then there is toolholders, tooling, chucks, jaws, coolant, metrology gear ($$$!), material to machine, bandaids (if you are smart), doctors bills (if you are stupid or careless), etc. If you want a deal spend time searching for a good older lathe that is rigid. You may have to do some work on it but it will be very much worth it in the end. Think of it like this: how many people who machine barrels for income would use a sub-par lathe?

These guys are giving you the straight scoop. Disregard what they are saying at your own risk. Again, I’m trying to be helpful. I own a machine shop - there ain’t nothing cheap, especially machines that can’t do the work desired. You can always turn small stuff in a big lathe, but it is damn hard to turn things in a lathe that it is physically incapable of. There are ways, but you don’t want to go there.

Wait a bit and put that money towards a good used lathe in your area. As mentioned above, you don’t want to sink a bunch of money into a turd, find out you like it and then need to tool up another suitable lathe. In my area older Clausings, Leblondes, and Grizzlies are regularly available.

Reactions: edlin_79
I was looking at similar lathes also and my mind went to they are probably crap but I don't know squat about lathes.

I have a smaller lathe I've been practicing on. I got it off a buddy for next to nothing.

I honestly think I'm gonna wait until I'm ready and spring for something like this.

Reactions: XP1K and edlin_79
You cannot cut threads on the lathe you're asking about. It does not have the necessary mechanics for threading. That lathe will be a waste of space and a total headache even for chambering jobs. I would never buy a machine tool for fun/practice. I own CNC machinery, the cost outlay is serious even for manual machines. Once you're $15k into a fully operational manual lathe that is a nightmare to move you'll wish you paid $150 for a barrel thread job.

Here's a good example of what I am talking about: I found a smoking hot deal on a very used Mori lathe - $18K. After the transformer, wire, electrician, etc. I was at about $25K to get it to spin with ZERO repairs. over the years I have tooled it up and that's easily another $10K once you add in various jaws, consumable tools (inserts), toolholders, lok-lines, coolant ($1500-$1800 per barrel - cheaper per gallon), chip bins, etc. This doesn't include crash repairs, etc.

Think that's expensive? We haven't even started talking about mills yet. Once you get a lathe, you will need a mill. Trust me on this.

If all a man wants to do is turn a couple barrels a year and there is no other use for that equipment just have someone else do it. If you intend to pursue it as a hobby, for sure do it and enjoy it. But don't go into it thinking it will be cheap or you will be continually frustrated. What I am saying is that this skill will require dedication, time and money to learn. Just go into it with that expectation and you will succeed.

Regarding the moving of a machine - this is absolutely no joke. What a damn nightmare - shipping, levelling, wiring to local code. None of this is optional.

I was looking at similar lathes also and my mind went to they are probably crap but I don't know squat about lathes.

I have a smaller lathe I've been practicing on. I got it off a buddy for next to nothing.

I honestly think I'm gonna wait until I'm ready and spring for something like this.
I watched Ultimate Reloader's entire series on that machine and I'm seriously thinking of doing that when I retire. I just don't want to sink a bunch of money into something as a hobby and not be serious about it. I love building things and probably have way too many toys at home that I've built. Picked up my first Savage about 15 years ago and it just took off from there. I have the bug and after retirement it could supplement income and serve as a hobby.

If you want to do it as a hobby you might consider buying a used manual lathe, they're all around and can be had pretty cheap. Take a community college manual machining course and you'll be pretty well off to start. Supplying 3-phase power and moving the machine is no small ordeal though.

Good info so far. And cheap lathes are, well, cheap. Not rigid, not precise, not very straight (which is sometimes fixable). Threading barrels and especially chambering is not done very well on cheap lathes.

If you need to modify a little screw or bolt, or makin little widgets then they are usable.

Regarding larger and better machine…
Rotary 3phase converters work really good if you need but don’t have 3 phase.
Machinery skates are great if you have a heavy machine. Many times I have moved machines over 10,000 pounds with em.

Reactions: XP1K and edlin_79
I tend to agree with one point. When it comes to precise work, no point in purchasing a piece of equipment that is not capable. If a man wants to chamber and thread barrels, he needs to get a lathe that can do the work the way it needs to be done.

If it turns out to NOT be the fellow’s cup of tea or something that simply is a skill level a fellow is not personally capable of achieving, a good lathe can be resold, a “cheap” lathe will likely become a dumpster filler

If you want to do it as a hobby you might consider buying a used manual lathe, they're all around and can be had pretty cheap. Take a community college manual machining course and you'll be pretty well off to start. Supplying 3-phase power and moving the machine is no small ordeal though.
Completely agree with everything . . . except 3-phase. A Variable Frequency Drive will convert single phase to 3 phase. Inexpensive, easy to set up and most will allow programming such as spin up/down time.

Not sure why anyone supports Amazon .

As mentioned, I'd try to locate a good used lathe first as it may very well come with tooling that you'll need.

Related question. Totally clueless. What are the specifications needed, and recommended types of lathe and brands of lathes to chamber and tread barrels as well as any other type lathe style work for firearms.

1.5 thru bore, threading capabilites, dro , 4 jaw chuck.

Hardinge, clausing, south bend, trak are some

Not sure of your location but. For less money than that cheap lathe you could take a few machining classes at a trade school and learn how to do everything you will need. You will also learn what you like and don't like about certain lathes and that will help you pick out what you want when you buy a lathe.

Will also save you from setting up a lathe all the moving and wiring. You will also see if you really like machining

Not sure of your location but. For less money than that cheap lathe you could take a few machining classes at a trade school and learn how to do everything you will need. You will also learn what you like and don't like about certain lathes and that will help you pick out what you want when you buy a lathe.

Will also save you from setting up a lathe all the moving and wiring. You will also see if you really like machining
This makes sense. Much like a fellow or lady starting out in Precision Riflery. Rather than run out and purchase a rifle (which may be ok but may well not be good enough) and all kinds of stuff, take a class, learn what it is all about, what is really needed and go from there.

You could look into your local community maker space to get some practice in. They’ve been popping up more frequently throughout the country and it’s a cheap way to get some time behind some of the more expensive pieces of equipment and get some hands on experience without breaking the bank. Or perhaps a part time job at a shop.

Reactions: Taylorbok