• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap peq15? Somogear

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
I get the whole buy once cry once and quality made gear thing.

Butfor a cheap alternative for say a .22lr training ar, or just for fun. Is the somogear Peq 15 viable for this, or a better option for the price range these things are?
I just seen one at a local store in the green laser and thought it was cool. For the money and intended use I didn't think it was a bad deal. Would like some thoughts on it from more experienced NV and laser guys.

I second the hard pass.

I bought one to throw on my .22 because I saw some guys talking about how they were pretty good and cheap enough to take a chance.

Laser was fine, illuminator was jacked up looking (lots of distortion) and not that powerful.

It felt like I could snap the adjustment knobs right off and overall was cheap. I got rid of it right after I received it.

Money would be better spent on something like a Streamlight tlr-vir.

There’s a YouTube video review by a guy called Brass Facts that’s caused a Somogear craze. The video was very interesting.

I’ve never owned or used one but I have talked to several guys that have and they had varying experiences.

While I don’t have a dog in this fight, the take away seems to be if you decide to order one make sure you get the “full power” unit and make sure it’s potted.

If you do go that route for a rimfire gun I’d love to hear how it works out but you will get absolutely roasted on here for reviewing a PLA Peq.

They’re so cheap, why not grab one? If it sucks, no real loss.

They’re so cheap, why not grab one? If it sucks, no real loss.

Kinda what I was thinking Seems to be a varying opinion on these. Maybe a crap shoot of getting a good or bad one..

I have one on a dedicated 22lr AR upper. Mine was purchased at the beginning of this year (potted version). Early models often had reports of non-aligned vis and IR lasers or you weren’t able to zero the IR illuminator to the laser or messed up focus. I haven’t had any of these issues so far.

I have probably 300 rounds with mine on two day/night shoots. The most recent one was last night. We actually were able to compare the IR illumination and IR laser side by side with another guy running a new to him MAWL C1+. The Somo held its own. The MAWL illuminator is cleaner, but both were easily able to light up the 200 yard targets. The MAWL flood and switchology is obviously superior as is the build quality, but for $265 it cost me I’m very happy so far.

Reactions: EchoFiveIndia