• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap Scope for Rimfire

CyBuzz

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2020
All,

I am always intimidated to post my cheap setups here but there is so much knowledge i just had to drop this post in here. I got a new Ruger American Rimfire and was going to grab a scope off an old gun i dont shoot much so i could get a new stock for the RAR. Mind changed and i want to get a scope and leave my other rifles alone. I have been looking around, reading reviews, reading through SageRatSafaris.com and think i have narrowed it down to 2 scopes.

These two are at Eurooptic. From what i read, i dont think i can go wrong with either but thought i would ask here to see if people have real world experience with them. They are both limited quantity so....depending on when i make the decision....they could both be gone :ROFLMAO:

$299 Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 with EBR-4 MOA Riflescope SE-1627
$339 Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP Riflescope 6-24x50 MRAD Like New Demo DBK-10029 <- Edit to add this is gone now. I would have to get it at full price if that is the route/recommendation.

MOA or MRAD is fine and i dont have a preference(reading suggests FFP) on focal plane. I am fine with both reticles and even just a plex reticle would be fine too. Leaning toward the Vortex because of warranty (the SE is discontinued and DBT is Demo/used) and i have had good experience with other Vortex scopes. With aging eyes, i want the max magnification i can get and clear glass. I have read too many reviews on glass that is frosty or over 8-10x it gets wonky(technical term:)).

• What is the platform for the scope? Ruger American Rimfire - Bolt Action
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 22LR
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target mostly, maybe a bit of squirrel and rabbit hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Indoor and outdoor ranges and hunting in the daylight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? probably no more than 200 yards (that is the limit of the longest range)
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Old eyes so nice(for the $$) glass would be at the top and SF not AO
  • What is the price range you can afford? i was going to go cheap and keep it under $300 but that never works. < $400?

Thanks all for your help. I know there will be a lot of "for a bit more money" and i get it. This is a fun gun, nothing competition obviously but since many of you do the competition thing, i respect your opinion on optics and look forward to hearing from you.

Attached a picture of the rifle it will go on.

PXL_20211026_173628028~2.jpg

I am

Last edited:
Both the scopes you listed would do fine, and Vortex has great CS.
if it were me I would look for a swfa fixed 10x or 12x.
Imho the SWFA are the most robust scopes in your price range.

Vortex makes great scopes, I have tons of different Vortex optics. My new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C MRAD is a solid scope for the money. And the HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 MRAD has been a staple on my rifles since they first debuted. Their CS is amazing, like was mentioned above.

The SWFA SS scopes are also great for the money. I have several of those, as well. Still use them regularly. I have a very rare SWFA SS 3-15x42 Mil-Quad DM (Designated Marksmen) reticle scope on my custom 6.5 Grendel DMR.

Another good option to take a look at, are the Arken scopes. Since you're looking for good budget scopes, these fit your bill very well. I just bought my 2nd one last night with the $100 off promo for returning customers. I like the SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 FFP VPR MIL scopes. The zero-stop is a solid wall. The turrets are repeatable and solid. It has a 34mm tube with 32 MILs of elevation travel. And the glass is just as good as my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 that retails at $799 and my HS-T 6-24x50 scopes that MSRP at $949...

Gotta love technology... Bringing higher-quality stuff to us at much more affordable prices these days, thanks to robotics and cheaper production costs. 👍🏼

I have one of these. Mil turrets, Mil reticle. Magnification ring is very smooth. It works.
Glass is better than my Athlon Argos 6-24.
Everything cheap is Chinese, so you cant get away from that.
More expensive scopes come with better warranties, so if they break you get a free one. I think thats because you already paid for 2 or 3.
If this one breaks I'll give it to my buddies kid to play with.

I have a couple of the Hawke Optics caliber specific scopes…..one for my .17 and .22 LR. They are inexpensive (less than $200 I think) and glass is decent. The pre-set hash marks for range are not precision by any means, too many variables with ammo, scope height, etc. for that…..but close enough for plinking and fun shooting at cans and such.

Reactions: CyBuzz
Vortex makes great scopes, I have tons of different Vortex optics. My new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C MRAD is a solid scope for the money. And the HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 MRAD has been a staple on my rifles since they first debuted. Their CS is amazing, like was mentioned above.

The SWFA SS scopes are also great for the money. I have several of those, as well. Still use them regularly. I have a very rare SWFA SS 3-15x42 Mil-Quad DM (Designated Marksmen) reticle scope on my custom 6.5 Grendel DMR.

Another good option to take a look at, are the Arken scopes. Since you're looking for good budget scopes, these fit your bill very well. I just bought my 2nd one last night with the $100 off promo for returning customers. I like the SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 FFP VPR MIL scopes. The zero-stop is a solid wall. The turrets are repeatable and solid. It has a 34mm tube with 32 MILs of elevation travel. And the glass is just as good as my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 that retails at $799 and my HS-T 6-24x50 scopes that MSRP at $949...

Gotta love technology... Bringing higher-quality stuff to us at much more affordable prices these days, thanks to robotics and cheaper production costs. 👍🏼

I looked into the Arken and considered it...but since i am not a returning customer to get the $100 off....it is out of my price range.

I looked into the Arken and considered it...but since i am not a returning customer to get the $100 off....it is out of my price range.
Save up some extra coin and get the Arken... It's worth it over the other budget options listed...I can assure you of that.

Or, maybe shoot them an email, and see if they'll help you out and let you still use the coupon code?

Used Bushnell match pro.
Used Athlon Midas tac
Used Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25
all of these chinesium scopes have lifetime warranty anyways so why would you pay for a new one. It’ll have to go for repair eventually anyways and for them it’s cheaper to give you a new one than fix it

Reactions: CyBuzz
Used Bushnell match pro.
Used Athlon Midas tac
Used Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25
all of these chinesium scopes have lifetime warranty anyways so why would you pay for a new one. It’ll have to go for repair eventually anyways and for them it’s cheaper to give you a new one than fix it
I am keeping an eye on the Buy-Sell here

Check out the vortex venom definitely a step up from the diamondback for 100 dollars more
As far as equal features, the Strike Eagle is closer to the Arken, but as far as price, and if you don't need illuminated reticle, the Venom is a strong competitor to the Arken for about the same price-point.

I will give three things to my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 over my Arkens... 1.) The locking turrets, 2.) The RevStop allows you to go backwards 1/2 a MIL incase you need to make a random shot closer than your baseline zero, 3.) The SE turret is a full 10 MILs per rev, where the Arken SH4 is only 8 MILs per rev. Mentally, keeping up with your revolutions by 10's is easier than by 8's.

I will say, both the SE and Arken zero-stops are solid. And both have great turrets...But the clicks on the Arken feel nicer and more tactile when in the field because they are spaced a bit farther apart, so they are heavier and more audible. Glass on both the SE and Arken is nearly identical. Same with the FOV at equal magnification ranges. They each have their pros and cons and both are great scopes.

I just bought an Athlon Argos for my cz457 and for the price (290$-335$ depending on which generation you get), I couldn't believe how good it all looks compared to the other optics I have on hand. For the price, I'm very happy with it.

not sure how cheap or not it is but love our sightron s3 10x50x60 on our 22lr . it's been great indoor our out side

I just bought an Athlon Argos for my cz457 and for the price (290$-335$ depending on which generation you get), I couldn't believe how good it all looks compared to the other optics I have on hand. For the price, I'm very happy with it.
Did you see the new thread about Chinese OEM's that make scopes for Athlon asking for samples of Tyler's (MKM Machining) throw levers, and then after he sent them, Athlon had the Chinese company ripoff his design 100% and then started selling them with their scopes? That's fucked up. I wouldn't support a company that does that shit.

Vortex and Arken stuff might be made in China, but at least they're using their own designs and not ripping anyone off. I used to want to try an Athlon, but not anymore.

not sure how cheap or not it is but love our sightron s3 10x50x60 on our 22lr . it's been great indoor our out side
I think i might like that one too. It doesnt really fall into my price range though....> $1000

I will throw out another vote for the Arken SH4 in either 4-16 or 6-24. For the rimfire, I would lean more to the 4-16 with the additional elevation available. Either way, you won’t regret it!

DK

I have one of these. Mil turrets, Mil reticle. Magnification ring is very smooth. It works.
Glass is better than my Athlon Argos 6-24.
Everything cheap is Chinese, so you cant get away from that.
More expensive scopes come with better warranties, so if they break you get a free one. I think thats because you already paid for 2 or 3.
If this one breaks I'll give it to my buddies kid to play with.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm dealing with Vortex on a warranty issue with a PST 1 right now, and am not super happy with their response, so even a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm dealing with Vortex on a warranty issue with a PST 1 right now, and am not super happy with their response, so even a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much.
I have dealt with Vortex CS several times, and I have a hard time believing that... They have always gone above and beyond for me, and I'm just a nobody like everyone else.

I just dealt with them less than a month ago sending back a damaged Viper HS 6-24x50 that was discontinued, and they let me pay a small fee and upgrade to the Strike Eagle 5-25x56, so I would have a current production model scope that has features more suited to my needs. They didn't have to do that, as they could have just sent me some other leftover Viper series scope sitting on a dusty dealer shelf somewhere, but they were nice and let me upgrade. And believe me, compared to all the Gen1 glass in the Viper series scopes, the Strike Eagle is an upgrade with that big 34mm tube and locking turrets, RevStop, etc...

Reactions: BikeMike
Save up some extra coin and get the Arken... It's worth it over the other budget options listed...I can assure you of that.

Or, maybe shoot them an email, and see if they'll help you out and let you still use the coupon code?
It didnt hurt to ask....but no luck on the coupon code.

The Arken is still worth it, if you can save up the extra money for it. You won't be disappointed in it. It also has plenty of adjustment for reaching on out there with the .22LR, since it flies like a hammer, and a -0.350 BC... LOL

That's too bad, as it would make for a smoking hot deal for ya. I just had a warranty issue with Arken (my MOA SH-4 6-24 had a tiny loose metal shard or something inside the tube, and was visible.) They stepped up and sent me a return shipping label, and even sent a new MIL 6-24 version at my request. I couldn't be happier with the SH-4 series. I too got the $100 discount code, and will most likely get a 4-16 version just because it's a stupid great value at that figure. If they come back in stock soon anyway..

And as stated before, the turrets are really nice. As is the smooth as butter parallax & mag adjustment knob/ring. I've got a Razor Gen II 4.5-27 and sure the glass is superior, but it damn well should be. The Arken SH-4 line will be hard to beat for the $$$.

That's too bad, as it would make for a smoking hot deal for ya. I just had a warranty issue with Arken (my MOA SH-4 6-24 had a tiny loose metal shard or something inside the tube, and was visible.) They stepped up and sent me a return shipping label, and even sent a new MIL 6-24 version at my request. I couldn't be happier with the SH-4 series. I too got the $100 discount code, and will most likely get a 4-16 version just because it's a stupid great value at that figure. If they come back in stock soon anyway..

And as stated before, the turrets are really nice. As is the smooth as butter parallax & mag adjustment knob/ring. I've got a Razor Gen II 4.5-27 and sure the glass is superior, but it damn well should be. The Arken SH-4 line will be hard to beat for the $$$.
Yeah, if i could have gotten the discount, i would have found a way. 299 for the Strike Eagle 4-24 or 450 for the Arken. i know...buy once cry once...but i will have to wait if i end up getting the arken.....or i can get the SE now....will see what i can talk myself into this weekend.

Reactions: MackDaddy1962
Check out the Element Helix. Just put one on my 17 HMR. I have a Votrex Razor and Strike Eagle to compare . Quality feel of the element is far superior. Glass is brighter. Turrets are without a doubt way better. Zero stop is very simple and effectice. Element has won a new customer with me. I plan to buy the Nexus for my next centerfire. I have mo affiliation with the company. Just poor backwoods swamp shooter looking for quality, budget gear.

Thanks, I will take a look at them.
Check out the Element Helix. Just put one on my 17 HMR. I have a Votrex Razor and Strike Eagle to compare . Quality feel of the element is far superior. Glass is brighter. Turrets are without a doubt way better. Zero stop is very simple and effectice. Element has won a new customer with me. I plan to buy the Nexus for my next centerfire. I have mo affiliation with the company. Just poor backwoods swamp shooter looking for quality, budget gear.
Thanks, I will check them out.

Natchos has some of the Bushnell Nitro/ Forge/ Prime scopes on closeout right now. I own 2 of the Nitro scopes and optically are not bad and mechanically very durable. Made in Korea if the Chinese thing turns you off?

IMO, any scope marketed as a "rimfire" scope is probably crap. I'm old and have failing eyes too. I shoot a lot of precision rimfire and airgun target work and have owned a lot of scopes. Optical clarity is not the only governing factor here for me. I want a useful reticle for what I'm doing; not too busy, not too thick, not too thin and enough graduations to do the job. If cost is your limit, consider Clearidge or Mueller. If you want something really nice and are willing to pay in the $400-600 range, then consider an Element Helix (FFP or SFP), Athlon Midas Tac (FFP), or Aztec Emerald (SFP or FFP). The Athlon has the best optics and reticle. Have fun shopping. You will get all kinds of opinions here. For more scope reviews go on Youtube and look up Cyclops scope reviews. Joe likes Arken scopes. I bought one and it does what he says, but I find the 34 MM tube makes it too heavy and bulky.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Natchos has some of the Bushnell Nitro/ Forge/ Prime scopes on closeout right now. I own 2 of the Nitro scopes and optically are not bad and mechanically very durable. Made in Korea if the Chinese thing turns you off?
I have a Forge. Nice scope, but the reticle is a bit thick. Not a Bushnell fan.

All,

I am always intimidated to post my cheap setups here but there is so much knowledge i just had to drop this post in here. I got a new Ruger American Rimfire and was going to grab a scope off an old gun i dont shoot much so i could get a new stock for the RAR. Mind changed and i want to get a scope and leave my other rifles alone. I have been looking around, reading reviews, reading through SageRatSafaris.com and think i have narrowed it down to 2 scopes.

These two are at Eurooptic. From what i read, i dont think i can go wrong with either but thought i would ask here to see if people have real world experience with them. They are both limited quantity so....depending on when i make the decision....they could both be gone :ROFLMAO:

$299 Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 with EBR-4 MOA Riflescope SE-1627
$339 Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP Riflescope 6-24x50 MRAD Like New Demo DBK-10029 <- Edit to add this is gone now. I would have to get it at full price if that is the route/recommendation.

MOA or MRAD is fine and i dont have a preference(reading suggests FFP) on focal plane. I am fine with both reticles and even just a plex reticle would be fine too. Leaning toward the Vortex because of warranty (the SE is discontinued and DBT is Demo/used) and i have had good experience with other Vortex scopes. With aging eyes, i want the max magnification i can get and clear glass. I have read too many reviews on glass that is frosty or over 8-10x it gets wonky(technical term:)).

• What is the platform for the scope? Ruger American Rimfire - Bolt Action
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 22LR
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target mostly, maybe a bit of squirrel and rabbit hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Indoor and outdoor ranges and hunting in the daylight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? probably no more than 200 yards (that is the limit of the longest range)
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Old eyes so nice(for the $$) glass would be at the top and SF not AO
  • What is the price range you can afford? i was going to go cheap and keep it under $300 but that never works. < $400?

Thanks all for your help. I know there will be a lot of "for a bit more money" and i get it. This is a fun gun, nothing competition obviously but since many of you do the competition thing, i respect your opinion on optics and look forward to hearing from you.

Attached a picture of the rifle it will go on.

View attachment 7729617
I am

I have a Forge. Nice scope, but the reticle is a bit thick. Not a Bushnell fan.
Yep I agree, the reticle lines are a bit thick on the Bushnells. I have used it out to 500 Yds on my 7mm-08 but it got moved to a hunting rifle.
I wound up with an Athalon Aries on the 7mm-08 and it is a big step up in optic quality.
I paid $200 for the Bushnell and $800 for the Athalon and it shows

What? You mean you don't have to mount a ZCO 4-20x on a .22LR training if you want to be taken seriously on SH?

Reactions: FuhQ
...I would imagine you would want a scope that has the greatest amount of elevation adjustment range for the longer distances you stated. More internal elevation capability is always an advantage. Check the scopes in your budget range for that specific factor.

Reactions: FuhQ