• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cheap scope

ccajigas07

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2014
Hey guys I got my first taste of distance shooting the other day and I am now hooked so I am going to be buying a r700 sps tactical but I dont know what scope to get I want something within the 200 dollar range now I know some will disagree with this but I already have a sig 716 with a nikon m308 scope so I dont see why I should spend so much on it seeing as this rifle will just be a range rifle and all the ranges close to me are no bigger than 100 yards so what do you guys think is a good scope for 100 to 200 yards

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

For strictly a range rifle look as the swfa fixed 10 power, I have one and really like it, haven't looked at their prices in awhile but I think I paid around $200 for it

Edit: so it looks like they're $299 for a new one but you should be able to find a used one in your price range...if you want more magnification they also have a fixed 12, 16, and I think 20 for the same price

Here's the 10
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

Last edited:
Yea I have heard of of those I think I am going to look into them thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

For strictly a range rifle look as the swfa fixed 10 power, I have one and really like it, haven't looked at their prices in awhile but I think I paid around $200 for it

Edit: so it looks like they're $299 for a new one but you should be able to find a used one in your price range...if you want more magnification they also have a fixed 12, 16, and I think 20 for the same price

Here's the 10
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope

I agree, I have both the 10x and the 20x I always like more magnification for the range the problem comes in with the swfa when you go to the 20x it's a more of a pain to get your eye just right to see, I think it's called exit pupil, on the 20x it not so good but for the range it's just fine as long as your not doing drills where speed is involved, as for the tracking and box testing both work out very very well for a 300$ scope not as good as your nxs and luepolds but good enough

Great advice.

BUT, while you are only shooting at 100 - 200 yards now, in a month or two you might be able to find ranges with more distance. So those scope will work, but you will be wishing you had gotten a better scope for longer ranges.

Buy once, cry once.

Great advice.

BUT, while you are only shooting at 100 - 200 yards now, in a month or two you might be able to find ranges with more distance. So those scope will work, but you will be wishing you had gotten a better scope for longer ranges.

Buy once, cry once.

Normally ^^^ That is my standard response, but in this case you aren't going to loose much on either of the scopes mentioned if you re-sell it for a later upgrade, so I'd say go with it. I have one of the SWFA fixed 16X on my 22 trainer and I'm very happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone for this type of application.

I can't say anything about the bushnell but I am used to shooting the higher end scopes like nightforce and luepold long range and was looking for a scope for my daughters rifles, I bought 2 swfa one 10x and one 20x both worked way better than I expected for a 300$ scopes, we do shooting anywhere from 100 to about 1200 yards, I liked using the 10x to about 650 yards and the 20x worked well to 1000 which was the farthest we shot with the 308 but I was most impressed with how close the click values were, they were not as good a some but REALLY good for a cheap scope, we were shooting from 300-1000 and were just practicing on working the turrets back and forth shooting known distances but the values always returned very very close to original zeros, with that sort of performance for a cheapy scope is why I would recomend it, the only problem I have with the scopes is when they sit the first couple clicks is always very tight and can throw you off if your not looking and just dialing, but once you move them that day they seem to click normal throughout the full range the rest of the day. So if you get to possibly shoot at long range for up to about 600 I would say the 10x will do you just fine and to about 1000 I would go for the 20x the 20x also works well for close shooting cause you can see your poi on targets, but the trade off between the 10 and 20 is the exit pupil, the 20x wouldn't be to good if hunting or shooting in lower light, plus do not buy the sun shade for it, it only makes it much worse

Last edited:
The SWFA SS is undoubtedly a better optic than the Bushnell 10x. Check the SWFA Samplelist for a used one. They can be found for $225-275 Regularly.

Chip

Little known secret. The Primary Arms 4-16 for $158 is the best sub $200 scope out there. It has great glass, a standard mil-dot reticle and tracks perfectly. You can bump up the the FFP Mil-Mil for another $100. Marshall and crew at PA stand behind their stuff too. Great customer service. You won't be dissapointed.

Doubt it. LOL I have both - SWFA is mechanically very sound, but the glass is sub-par at best; the fact that SWFA has adjustable objective might make it a better scope for an application, but glass is definitely better in Bushnell.

In my experience the Bushnell and SWFA glass compare favorably. In fact rumor has it that Bushnell makes the SWFA. I know that they do the Warranty repairs. The Bushnell has a 1" tube with Wire Reticle with standard Mil Stadia, and no Parallax adjustment. The SWFA has a 30mm tube with an Etched Glass Mil Quad Reticle (Diamond Mil stadia), Adjustable Parallax, and a very good build quality. I am a huge Bushnell fan, and I still hold to my recommendation. For the $100 over the Bushy your get a lot of desirable features.

If you plan to shoot Accurately at varying ranges your need a parallax adjustment. To be blunt I would give up glass quality to have the features of the SWFA. That said the difference in glass quality between any scope in the sub $500 range is almost negligible.

TC

I liked my swfa 10x42 for 100-400 yards max. High value for the build and mechanics.

I happen to be selling mine. If you're interested, PM me.

All I know when it comes to lower end scopes I would never buy a used one, a higher end yes, but if you buy a used scope for 200$ and a new one is 300$ to find the used one doesn't work as it should you send it to get fixed now you have probably spent more than the new one and your still stuck with a used scope that may have scratches and what not that you dont have a story for, like you know how this got scratched??? Not worth it in my opinion, buy a new cheap scope and call it a day, if you don't have the money save until you do, if you bought a used scope that had to get sent back it's not gona be a fast fix, you could probably save and get a new one faster, take it for what it's worth

I have both the Bushnell Elite 10X and two SWFA 12X scopes. I find that the Bushnell is fine out to about 600 yards, but longer than that and the lack of parallax adjustment becomes more problematical. I also much prefer the SWFA mil quad reticle over the basic mil-dot in the Bushnell. With the SWFA 12X I have no problem consistently dinging the round 6" target at 1000 yds (wind permitting) with my Rem 260 rifle. Last weekend I qualified the Rem 260 at 1200yds with 5/7 hits on 10" target.