• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes cheap scope

Re: Is osprey scope a good scope for starts on my sass

Sure go ahead and get one. Or better yet just go ahead and send the money to me and I'll blow it on a stripper next weekend. Either option is about equally useful. In all honesty though this has been beaten covered many times over and a simple search would have turned out numerous relevant topics. In fact you are the second person this week to bring up a Osprey optics thread.

The scopes themselves are useful as paper weights or boat anchors. But that is about all they are good for.

I have no experience with Osprey, I have had good luck with the varmint series Tasco's (mildot) they track and hold, although they are a bit dim... but they are cheap...

FYI, here is a better way to search for info.. (bookmark it)

Snipers Hide Google Search

Waste of money.

Spend 200 bucks on a bushnell 10X mil/mil fixed power scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Spend 200 bucks on a bushnell 10X mil/mil fixed power scope. </div></div>

+1 Great scope.....
or a WOTAC 12X...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waste of money.

Spend 200 bucks on a bushnell 10X mil/mil fixed power scope. </div></div>

+2

I'd avoid the osprey.

Ok, out of curiousity I am trying to buy a good scope for my husband. He saw an Osprey at a gunshow and he liked it, but everyone on here says they are junk. So can someone explain to me what makes them junk. I am new to this and I want to buy him a good scope. So i need to know what makes the osprey junk so i know what to avoid. Also any other tips on what to look for or things to avoid would be extremely helpful. I read in a thread that the osprey scope was heavy can someone tell me what is an average weight of a scope that I should be looking for. With your suggestions of the kind of scopes I am looking for please remember I am on a budget and I need scopes around the $300 price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, out of curiousity I am trying to buy a good scope for my husband. He saw an Osprey at a gunshow and he liked it, but everyone on here says they are junk. So can someone explain to me what makes them junk. I am new to this and I want to buy him a good scope. So i need to know what makes the osprey junk so i know what to avoid. Also any other tips on what to look for or things to avoid would be extremely helpful. I read in a thread that the osprey scope was heavy can someone tell me what is an average weight of a scope that I should be looking for. With your suggestions of the kind of scopes I am looking for please remember I am on a budget and I need scopes around the $300 price range. </div></div>

What makes them "Junk"? Chinese manufacture.

New optics in this price range are limited. Stay with fixed power. The Bushnell 3200 10x40 Mildot is a good choice.

Lot's of folks like the Super Sniper fixed power scopes in this price range.

At this price point, the fixed power optic has fewer moving parts and therefore less to break. Beware of anything with a wide magnification range, illuminated reticles, etc., for less than $300.

There are some used scopes that can be had for around $300 and are sound choices. One is the Vortex Viper (not the PST models). They sell around $450-$500 new but can be found used for much less.

The IOR 4x24 is a fabulous scope. Made in Romania, it's a tough, battle proven optic, Schott glass, bullet drop compensating elevation turret, and practical reticle designs. And they're illuminated. But it's only a 4 power optic.

Here's a Bushnell for sale>

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=313488

This one is gone but a good one to consider. It's an IOR 6x42 Tactical. Superb piece of glass. I would have bought it if I had seen it in time>

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=883999

Here's a great place to look around. Just type in what you want to search for and how far back.

Elite Deal Seeker

Just don't get in a hurry. Take the time to educate yourself. The longer you can save the better. Being about to double your budget will take you into a whole different level of optic, especially used glass. Look at what the guys are using. When they upgrade optics you can get a nice used scope for not a lot of money.

Good luck!!

Paul

This may be a good place for us to talk about something productive...Like the weather.
Beautiful day in NW mid 80's with a cool breeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys so what would you recommend for me Scope wise and rings for my LRT DPMS Sass for starts in a reasonable price range,And yes in reality my fellow Sniper brothers i would love to mount a NightForce,Swarovski,or maybe even a Zeiss, But that's not in my budget and i know you guys will help me make this happen.
Also if any of you guys have any pics of your scopes on your toys or any links of places with great deals on scopes please post them,especially you guys with scope mounted sass.
</div></div>

What is your budget? That would be a great help to us. Some of my favorites that I consider budget optics are:

Super Snipers
Vortex PST
Sightron SIIIs
Bushnell Elite

All these can be found for under $1000 but they still cover and pretty broad spectrum thus some specifics about what you are looking for would help.

Also there is picture thread for Large frame ARs somewhere around here but it alludes me at the moment. So here is a picture of mine.

DPMSLR308.jpg

What's he wanting to do with this scope? Is he wanting to sight it in and never touch it again? Or is he wanting to shoot long range and constantly be dialing the turrets?

I've used several cheap scopes and haven't found them to be as bad as many people online will tell you they are. That being said I've never used an Osprey.

What I have found is that most of the ones I've used have had decent enough glass, some of them have had really good glass, and some just good enough. I've also found with many of them, once sighted in they seem to hold zero okay. These seem to work for lots of hunters in this area, and all they do is sight them in, shoot a box of shells a year, and put it up for the rest of the year.

Now, the problems I've found with them is often at high magnification the glass starts getting dark and washed out look. I can't even imagine what 40x would look like with cheap crappy glass. This isn't always the case, but in a lot of cases it is. Low light performance also suffers greatly on some cheaper scopes, but I've had both a Tasco and Simmons that have been pretty good and competitive with higher priced optics.

The biggest issue overall that I've found is that the majority of them don't track true. Their adjustments aren't anywhere near accurate, and if you dial it up, then return it to zero, many of them won't return to the same spot. I've had two exceptions to this. One cheap Simmons on a .22 that tracks well, and a Center Point 4-16x40 I bought from Walmart to do some tests on. I then later had another similar but newer Simmons and the tracking was horrible on it. Now if he just is planning to sight it in and leave it alone this isn't a huge deal. However, if he is using it as a "tactical" scope is meant to be used, he is likely to run into problems with this with cheap scopes.

Cheaper scopes also have a tendency to fail more often. While I've never had one fail, and my friends have overall had good experiences, some of them have failed, and I certainly wouldn't trust my life to one.

IMO the best thing to do with $300 would be to look for a used Nikon Monarch or similar. Maybe even a Buckmasters. The Monarch's I've had have had traditional turrets, and BDC style reticles, but they have tracked perfectly, and been good scopes. The other scope in this price range I'd look for is Burris FFII. These have great glass for the price and are very solid scopes. The stock turrets aren't the friendliest for constantly dialing on them, but you can get them with Tac 2 turrets, or Burris will install them on the regular FFII's for $80. You could probably find a used 4.5-14x42 FFII and get the Tac 2 turrets installed which would make a decent tactical scope.

Another option if he wants more of a tactical would be the SWFA SS 10x, 16x, or 20x. This imo is probably the best option if he can deal with a fixed power. They should track well, and just are an amazing scope.

Another option is the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x scope. I had one and it was an okay scope. The scope overall didn't impress me, but it did track accurately and had decent glass. They also make these in variable powers, so he could maybe find a used one in a 5-15 or something like that. Just make sure you get the tactical model as the one I had that wasn't a tactical one didn't track very well, but it was a solid scope.

Those are what I'd look at in that price range, and I've used lots of optics in the $300 and under price range.

As for the rings, some of my personal favorites are the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts. These are great, they hold tight, they don't leave ring marks, no need to lap the rings, and if you have to shim the scope, you can just change the inserts, or if you want to try to zero your scope with the adjustments as close to center as possible you can do that with the inserts. Best of all these can be had for $30-40. I know they aren't as high priced or don't have the bling factor of some $100 + rings, but imo they are great and have done great with everything I've used them on. It's pretty much all I buy now.

If you can't get those, I'd just get a decent set of rings from Burris, Leupold, Badger, Seekings, etc. Just depends on what price you want to pay as to which brand to go with. I'd stay away from the cheap Wally World special aluminum rings. I've found they strip out very easily when installing them, and are just pretty weak overall.

Are there and variable scope in that range you can think of. thanks for breaking it down for me paul..

Very nice,I want the least 8 power but variable power,will be shooting from 300-500 yrds,,how do you post pics here.

He wants a long range tactical style scope. Have you ever looked through a BSA Cateyes 4-16x44?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there and variable scope in that range you can think of. thanks for breaking it down for me paul.. </div></div>

There are a few variables that you may find used that are in your price range. They have good glass, are reasonably rugged will hold their value if taken care of. This is important because one day he will want to move up. Keep in mind they nothing will be perfect at this price range but this is how I would spend my money. Listed in order of preference:

1) Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 or 6.5-20x50. These have 30mm tubes, side focus, Argon purged, very good glass, repeatable adjustments and Vortex has a warranty that is out of this world. This was Vortex's flagship model before the PST. Look for a used model with BDC or Mildot reticle. The BDC will have matched reticle/turret. They should list between $300 and $400 and are a very good optic.

2) Bushnell 4200 series. 6-24x40 mildot was probably the most popular. Adjustable objective, 1" tube. Rugged scopes, clear glass. Limited adjustment range.

3) Bushnell 3200 series. 7-21x40 and 5-15x40 mildots. Essentially same as above listed Bushnells.

That's really all I can think of in a variable that will approach $300. Most of these will sell between $350 and $400 but are very good choices for the money. They have fallen out of favor because of limited adjustment range, mismatched reticles and front focus on the Bushnells and have been surpassed by later models. But any will serve your husband well.

Keep us posted.

Paul

I know someone who fell prey to the gun show guy pitch and bought an Osprey. I tried to convince him to go the fixed 10X Super Sniper route, but he wanted the variable power and illuminated reticle. It works for him...but I'll caveat by saying the following:

- he shoots about once every 3 or 4 months
- he only shoots at targets set at either 50 yds or 100 yds
- he only shoots on a range that has cover from the weather
- he only shoots during the day during peak lighting conditions

My impressions after using it were:
- the turrets felt cheap, adjustments felt "mushy"
- glass wasn't nearly as clear as others in the price range and seemed dim to me (I have a Super Sniper fixed 10X, which costs about the same amount of $ and was worlds better in terms of clarity and brightness)
- reticle was thick, making precise shot placement a little harder
- rings it came with were ridiculously high, and obviously cheaply made

As stated above, there are much better scopes in the price range. Personally, I'd say get the fixed 10X Super Sniper from SWFA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys so what would you recommend for me Scope wise and rings for my LRT DPMS Sass for starts in a reasonable price range,And yes in reality my fellow Sniper brothers i would love to mount a NightForce,Swarovski,or maybe even a Zeiss, But that's not in my budget and i know you guys will help me make this happen.
Also if any of you guys have any pics of your scopes on your toys or any links of places with great deals on scopes please post them,especially you guys with scope mounted sass.
</div></div>

No offense but you don't really seem to have a clue at this point and when I first read this post I truthfully thought you were a troll. You start by asking about a 10-40 power scope for a SASS????? That isn't even remotely close to what you should be looking at. Also, you truely need to gain a lot of knowledge about optics quality. A 10-40 power scope with illumination for ~$300, you should be warned that this is almost laughable.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe you should be doing more research on the purpose & capabilities of a SASS. The information that has already been provided by some of the other users is very knowledgable but I think that you should really do some additional reading and wait on a purchase.

Either way good luck.

I have an old bausch and laumb elite 3000 4-12x scope with a standard duplex crosshair.

It has fingertip adjustable turrets, though not "tactical" turrets. i bought it YEARS ago before there were any options for "tactical" scopes.

The glass is decent, though not spectacular, the adjustments dead on, it is rock solid and reliable. A great scope for hunting and target shooting, if you are just going to the range for fun.

That scope was then called the Bushnell Elite 3200 and now, I'm not sure what, but they are available and are good scopes, for less than 300.

Another good offering is the Nikon buckmaster 4-14x mil-dot scope. It can be ordered though wallyworld. Very good glass and they are very nice scopes.

Thanks Paul I will definetly be looking into the scopes that you have recommended to me. I appreciate you recognizing the fact that I am new to this and needed some helpful advise not criticism to make me feel stupid like others (Jeo 556) have tried to do. Thank you again and any other suggestions or insights you may have would be appreciated. Another quick question what is your opinion about buying the used scopes that have been offered on this website. Or do you have a website you would recommend for the purchasing of a used scope. Do you know any retailers that carry the scopes you recommended so I can go see them? I will definetly keep you posted.

No offense but when I first read your reply I just thought you were facetious, then I realized that is just the kind of person you are. First of all I am doing research so I do know what to get second I came to this website for help and advice to avoid making costly, stupid mistakes. And up until this point everyone has been very knowledgable and extremely forthcoming with this knowledge. But since you have all the answers then let me stop and ask you to share your all knowing knowledge with me and not just your criticism. So explain to me and the other helpful repliers on this thread, Exactly what is my SASS capable of doing and what kind of scope should I put on it since a 10-40 with illumination is not what I want in your opinion. And I understand the price I gave was on the lower end and I just asked if I could get something like what I wanted for around that price, while I was saving for a nightforce. So the next time you want to criticise someone do it when the person isn't trying to obtain more knowledge to better themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense but when I first read your reply I just thought you were facetious, then I realized that is just the kind of person you are. <span style="font-weight: bold">First of all I am doing research so I do know what to get second I came to this website for help and advice to avoid making costly, stupid mistakes.</span> And up until this point everyone has been very knowledgable and extremely forthcoming with this knowledge. But since you have all the answers then let me stop and ask you to share your all knowing knowledge with me and not just your criticism. So explain to me and the other helpful repliers on this thread, Exactly what is my SASS capable of doing and what kind of scope should I put on it since a 10-40 with illumination is not what I want in your opinion. And I understand the price I gave was on the lower end and I just asked if I could get something like what I wanted for around that price, while I was saving for a nightforce. So the next time you want to criticise someone do it when the person isn't trying to obtain more knowledge to better themselves. </div></div>

That is exactly why I'm telling you to do some research and get some additional knowledge so that you can better spend your hard earned money. My intent was not to embarass you, or be mean, or a jerk. (And just so you know you will need a much thicker skin to hang around here if you think my post was mean.) When I first came here I was lambasted much worse than anything that you've recieved so far so just calm down a little and don't assume that people her are trying to insult you.

To answer your question though, a semi-auto .308 system doesn't even come close to being able to utilize the scope that you've suggested at either end of the maginifaction level. My first piece of evidence is look at what the army is putting on thier SASS'....variable powered Leupy's with a bottom end of 3.5 and a top end of 10x. The purpose of a SASS is multiple targets at shorter range(lower magnificatioin) with the ability to reach out to about 800 yards with the top end of the magnification. The osprey that you suggested has a lower end of 10x that will limit your field of view at shorter ranges, and the top end of 40x is just too much for a semi-auto .308....It's not a .338 Lapua Mag that you'll be shooting 1-1.5 miles with. You should be looking at much less magnification scopes like has already been mentioned and remember that you do pay for quality. Like I mentioned in my other(meaner) post, look around at other scopes with see what a quality scope with more reasonalbe magnification costs, then ask yourself what kind of quality you're going to get if you get a 10-40 power scope with illumination for ~$300........It just doesn't add up.

Now to address your oh so holy quest for info.......Look dude, I came here just like you a few years ago and had a lot of questions and not many answers. First I read a lot before I asked any questions, when I did ask a questioin I did not take it personally when someone pointed out my lack of knowledge. There are a lot of guys here that have a significant amount of knowledge about long distance and military shooting. They are really here to talk amongst themselves and share expierence(s) that they've gained over many years. To just come here and demand answers without putting in any work yourself seems a little lazy. Again, I wasn't trying to be a dick so I hope I cleared that up, just wanted to impress upon you that a little reading here would have given you more info so that you could make better decisions rather than just asking a question. Good luck on your purchase.

Oh, and to add a suggestion like the others..... The SS 3-9 with the newer reticle would be a fine choice if you ask me. It's probably more than you want to spend but its a quality scope with a great warranty and the newer reticle seems really nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks Paul I will definetly be looking into the scopes that you have recommended to me. I appreciate you recognizing the fact that I am new to this and needed some helpful advise not criticism to make me feel stupid like others (Jeo 556) have tried to do. Thank you again and any other suggestions or insights you may have would be appreciated. Another quick question what is your opinion about buying the used scopes that have been offered on this website. Or do you have a website you would recommend for the purchasing of a used scope. Do you know any retailers that carry the scopes you recommended so I can go see them? I will definetly keep you posted. </div></div>

Here's the best place I've found>

Go here> Elite Deal Seeker

Type in what your're searching for and how many days back you want to look. This site pulls up classifieds from several popular sites. You'll need to join the one's you want to deal on but for starters I would recommend: AR15.com and Long Range Hunting.com. Along with this site. Also look on eBay, etc. Just run on verifiable feedback like anything else.

If you have any additional questions, feel free.

Good luck!

Paul

Sho Biz,
Do a lot or reading and research before you spend your hard earned money.

Go back up to the first post in this section and read all 87 posts concerning optics selections. That will be a good start. Next is to figure out just what you are looking to do with your gun. Long range shooting, close quarters or a combination of both.
After you figure that out, then and only then should you make a decision as to what magnification ranges you need for your scope or if you can do with a fixed power scope.

The next thing I write here you need to pay very close attention to. You don't get something for nothing. I would rather have a scope with clarity and resolution with a lower (under 10X) magnification than some 10-40X that has shit lenses that can't be cranked above 15X. The problem with cheap high magnification scopes is that the resolution is crap from beginning to the highest magnification settings.

If you want a decent higher magnification scope for around $300.00 new, you basically have only one choice. Nikon Buckmasters. 4.5-14 or the 6-18. That's about it.
If you can get away with less than 14X on the top end (and I am absolutely positive you can), do as Paul suggested and look at the Bushnell 3200, the Burris fullfield II and some of the others mentioned.
Lastly, If you are shooting 100yds and up, don't be afraid of the 10X SS or the 3200 10X.

Five years ago I kept hearing how shitty the NC Star scopes were. So I had to go and see for myself. I bought one in the 6-24X magnification range and put it on an extremely accurate 223. This gun has always been capable of shooting five shot groups of 3/10" and less. with the NC Star, it's best group was over 4". Any chance of accuracy and proper tracking was impossible. Total waste of money. It is also blurry as hell above 15X

I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED AND DONE MORE RESEARCH BEFORE SPENDING MY $$.

Mike your post was awesome along with Paul,what would you recommend as far as magnification?? I will be doing combination shooting up to about 100-600yrds.The gun im shooting is a 308 Lrt DPMS sass. I'm not the smartest but fixed powers magnification is very limiting .
Your ncstar experience was once mine I have a ROCKRIVER 556/223 and my good friend "GAVE" me a the small tactical 3-9-42 with red dot, and it is cloudy and 9 power looks horrible I Have got to get a s ops fore it next but I'm more focused on my sass jus wanted to throw that out there my neighbor (BIG RED NECK but very cool guy) came over and let me looked threw his hunting scope boy aS that thing clear but it was a cheap scope (Bsa catseye) 4-16-44) but it was clearer than the ncstar lol.

Hey Mike how many yards were you shooting to get that 3 /10" groups with your 223. Out of curiosity. I have Fred to post picks on here but can't fig it out.

Sho-Biz, thanks for joining the hide. Please do more searching and less posting. I still consider myself a newbie on this site and my general rule is to read 5x more than I post.

Use the search engine that Chppr posted at the top. Use it to search your weapon, scopes, rings, everything. Read a lot.

I have a hunting scope on one of my rifles that I took out to 750 yards. Bushnell 3200 3-9x. I could see my impacts and everything was pretty crisp. The Bushnell 10x would be a really good option. Same with the Weaver 3-10x. If you're looking for the tacticool look and want to invest in the look and features instead of the glass quality, you have the Millet TRS-1 as an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey Mike how many yards were you shooting to get that 3 /10" groups with your 223. Out of curiosity. I have Fred to post picks on here but can't fig it out. </div></div>

Biz,
That particular 223 of mine is accurate beyond belief. When I got it in 1994, I was about to give up on it because I had put over 175 rounds through it in the first week and it showed no promise with 1-1/2 to 2" five shot groups. It suddenly began to get smaller and smaller groups. By the time I got a little past 200 rounds, it was staying below 1/2" and doing the occasional 1/4" group. I couldn't believe it. Group size average fell below 3/8 and has stayed there.

I shot the gun in 5 registered benchrest matches in Oregon and the worst aggregate for shooting 100 and 200 yards was .447. Aggregate for 100 yds only was .322. (Aggregate is five, five shot groups at each yardage)
The best registered single group was a .169. I still have the targets.

The gun now has over 10,000 rounds through it and it still shoots great. When groups start to open up, I will send it off to be set back and rechambered. I know many think setting back a barrel is a waste of money, but this particular barrel has been so good that I will breathe whatever life I can back into it. When it dies for good, it will get a place on my wall somewhere.

I should take it out and try the dot drill with it.

Back to the scope thing. Before you spend any money. Get your choices narrowed down and do yourself a favor. Get an eye chart print out and check the resolution of each of your choices. Once you do that, you will find that magnification will make things big, but resolution will help you see much clearer and make out better what you are looking at. Ask anyone who has shot prairie dogs how many times have they drawn a bead on what they thought was a prairie dog, only to find out it had wings and was a burrowing owl. Resolution matters much more than magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHO~BIZ308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mike your post was awesome along with Paul,what would you recommend as far as magnification?? I will be doing combination shooting up to about 100-600yrds.The gun im shooting is a 308 Lrt DPMS sass. I'm not the smartest but fixed powers magnification is very limiting .
Your ncstar experience was once mine I have a ROCKRIVER 556/223 and my good friend "GAVE" me a the small tactical 3-9-42 with red dot, and it is cloudy and 9 power looks horrible I Have got to get a s ops fore it next but I'm more focused on my sass jus wanted to throw that out there my neighbor (BIG RED NECK but very cool guy) came over and let me looked threw his hunting scope boy aS that thing clear but it was a cheap scope (Bsa catseye) 4-16-44) but it was clearer than the ncstar lol. </div></div>

Once in a while BSA lets a good one slip out their door. My dad came over to my house once to show me his new 6-24X44 BSA Platinum that he bought for $49.00 out the door (Used). I asked him why he wasted MORE money on another BSA. His answer was to hand it to me to look through. In all honesty, that thing was as clear as the 6.5-20X leupold that I had on a .243. I told him it looked great, but the proof would be in shooting it. To our surprise, it stayed clear, tracked great and never let him down. He sold it a few years later and has regretted it. Every time he sees another like it, he hopes to get another good one. Well, ten years have gone by since then and he has not found one even remotely close to the first one.

When you spend your money on GOOD optics yo do get what you pay for EVERY TIME. And you get the great customer service to boot. Sounds to me like you could do well with something like a 4.5-14X.

Super Sniper 3-9x42 w/ Mil Dot for $499

Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x44 for $649

Both of these scopes are good deals and have very useable magnification ranges.

The SS 3-9 gives you an FFP reticle and matching knobs/reticle.

IMHO, the Nikon gives you better glass and side focus but no FFP.

I don't think FFP is a deal breaker in an optic that's magnification tops out at 10x since most people shoot their rifles at 100+ yards and only use their scope at the highest magnification setting.

Get a Vortex Viper, great glass, great quality, great price, and the company will stand by it forever. The customer service Vortex has is enough to choose them alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know someone who fell prey to the gun show guy pitch and bought an Osprey. I tried to convince him to go the fixed 10X Super Sniper route, but he wanted the variable power and illuminated reticle. It works for him...but I'll caveat by saying the following:

My impressions after using it were:
- the turrets felt cheap, adjustments felt "mushy"
- glass wasn't nearly as clear as others in the price range and seemed dim to me (I have a Super Sniper fixed 10X, which costs about the same amount of $ and was worlds better in terms of clarity and brightness)
- reticle was thick, making precise shot placement a little harder
- rings it came with were ridiculously high, and obviously cheaply made

As stated above, there are much better scopes in the price range. Personally, I'd say get the fixed 10X Super Sniper from SWFA. </div></div>

I fell prey to the fancy illuminated mil-dot scope, in the 3-12 power, at gun show. I knew it was cheap, but it had a life time warrenty and came with free rings!! How sweet is that?

As stated above, dont waste the money. I feel bad even putting it on my 10/22. Holds a zero well as long as you dont touch the knobs is prob the only plus, but thats on a .22 with zero recoil

Dont look past Burris scopes either. Not bad for the money, and the higher end ones are made right here in Greeley, CO
I have a 6.5-20 that has served me very well on my 22-250. Can spot hits at 100 yds and has decent glass. Not as nice as my USO or NF, but gets er done for a 400 dollar scope.

Regards,
DT

I have a Osprey 10x40x50, traded a old beat up REM 870 shotgun for it a couple of years ago. It was new in the box, when I finely got it on my CZ 550 varmit in 308, I took it to the range, and in the sunlight you could see a yellowish color in the glass, so I called the distributor in Georgia (I think that's where they were), he told me to box it up an send it to them, about 10 days later I had a new scope, and it has held up great, and tracks perfectly, But every time I pull the trigger I'm afraid the lens may fall out, or the recticle may go crooked. So far it hasn't. I guess I got a one in a million.

Here's my take on it-
My wife knows that I would love to get a scope as a gift. She also knows that she is not qualified to buy me a scope. It would be a good thoughtful gift, but chances are pretty good that she would get me the wrong scope. That is, unless she knows what exact scopes I want. I think a better way to do it is to ask him what he wants and have him do his own research. If he's the one using the gun, he needs to be the one to determine what exactly he should need. A better way is to ask him what he wants and tell him you'll buy it for him. With the number of variations and configurations, the chances of getting it right the first time are pretty slim.

And FWIW, be wary about buying scopes at gun shows. There are a lot of snake oil salesmen and idiot dealers that love the fleece people out of their money by selling them junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my take on it-
My wife knows that I would love to get a scope as a gift. She also knows that she is not qualified to buy me a scope. It would be a good thoughtful gift, but chances are pretty good that she would get me the wrong scope. That is, unless she knows what exact scopes I want. I think a better way to do it is to ask him what he wants and have him do his own research. If he's the one using the gun, he needs to be the one to determine what exactly he should need. A better way is to ask him what he wants and tell him you'll buy it for him. With the number of variations and configurations, the chances of getting it right the first time are pretty slim.

And FWIW, be wary about buying scopes at gun shows. There are a lot of snake oil salesmen and idiot dealers that love the fleece people out of their money by selling them junk. </div></div>

Love the wife analogy. I would never say to her I want a scope, get me one.
I hate it when she says "Just get me jewelry, I don't care what kind." Because I have such a huge margin to get it wrong, and not get what she will like.
I don't know even what questions to ask, because I know NOTHING about jewelry and haven't researched it enough.
I would rather her just tell me "A white gold chain necklace with a 1 karat diamond charm." (I'm not sure what I just said but it sounds right)

So my point is...
Let us know what you want first and make sure it's supported by researching it.

Need scope research opinion and pics

I've done Some research of some different optics and a lot of reading like you advised this is what I've come up with,I have a DPMS SASS 308, and I plan on doing some 200-600 yrd shooting, I've been looking at a few scopes and I'm on a budget but tring to choose the right starter scope, and need u guys and girls help on choosing here's the following scopes I'm interested In a 4,6,or 8 power variablepower with 44,50 or 56mm objective lens,the only scope Im liking on the 56mm is the Millett Trs1 6-25x56 or the 4-16x50
Next Konus 6.5-25x44 m30 or 6-24x50
Nikon Monarch 6-24x50sf (8429)--8-32x50ed st (8480)
I'm open on CounterSniper,,And Vortex
I know this is a lot but I haven't look threw none of these nor do I know the pros and cons and I know some of you guys do because this world of scopes is not a cheap game to just guess at not for me any way ,send me some pics of u guys scope mounted toys, especially any AR style,DPMS,sass,and the pimped out tactakool players THANKS GUYS for your help.

Re: Need scope research opinion and pics

Putting Counter Sniper on you list is asking for trouble dude.

Apparently you have not taken our advice. Bigger is not better.

In a cheap scope, you are better off sticking to the lower magnification ranges. 6-24 in a cheap scope would be useable to about 14X. So why waste the money paying for 24x when it is blurry.

Go back and re-read all of the advice given to you. In the end you will probably just waste it on some piece of shit because you did not heed the great advice given to you. If you are gonna spend 300.00 on a scope and you must have a variable, then go for the Nikon 6-18 Buckmasters. You don't need a 56mm objective to see a piece of paper or steel in daylight.

Why am I wasting my time with this???

Re: Need scope research opinion and pics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Putting Counter Sniper on you list is asking for trouble dude.

In a cheap scope, you are better off sticking to the lower magnification ranges. 6-24 in a cheap scope would be useable to about 14X. So why waste the money paying for 24x when it is blurry.

Go back and re-read all of the advice given to you. In the end you will probably just waste it on some piece of shit because you did not heed the great advice given to you. If you are gonna spend 300.00 on a scope and you must have a variable, then go for the Nikon 6-18 Buckmasters. You don't need a 56mm objective to see a piece of paper or steel in daylight.

Why am I wasting my time with this???</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Putting Counter Sniper on you list is asking for trouble dude.

Why am I wasting my time with this???</div></div>
Thanks for your kind advice mike and no sir you didn't waist your time .

You don't take direction too well do you? After all the information that has been provided you still mention Super Sniper? You must be fucking with us........

I read the entire thread and the advice given is solid. If the advice does not equal to what you wanted to hear and/or will accept, then you are on your own as far as what you want to pick as your first optic. Guys on here have been where you were and are giving you the best options out there for your budget. A cheap optic that does not track repeatably or is of shotty quality will do you no good, and even iron sights would be a step up for shooting to 600yds over a cheap scope b/c you know they work. If you have ever been on a range and looked out 300 yards, I'm sure you would know that it is FAR and even a 40x optic would have a hard time discerning .22cal holes. No optic is going to give you a view like you are right up on the target at any distance. If you are shooting for very small groups then higher power optics do help, but to an extent. I would not go over 20x b/c if you get any heat or low light you can loose visability and makes the optic again useless. Now, when you go with higher power optics, you have to move up in price to make that higher power worth while, and I don't know of a higher power optic over 20x that is less than $800 that would be worth the money.. and more honestly less than $1500. If you are shooting at bigger targets like 12x12 steel, then a 10x or something to 15 power would be excellent. Fixed 10x would be perfect for this b/c you can get good optics that are more durable than variable power scopes b/c they have less moving parts. The Bushnell Elite mentioned is fantastic and I have 3 of them myself I use on various rifles. Here is the order of how I start looking at optics for purchase:
1. Tracking - Will it track 100% and return to zero
2. Durability - Is it going to last if it falls or gets knocked around
3. History - Is there a history of producing quality optics from this company
4. Reviews by "Real Life Marksmen" - this is very important not to go to sites and take the advice of guys that post a review the day they got their scope say it's great when it hasen't even gone on their rifle yet. Or their next post is about "SHTF" or zombies.
5. Glass clarity - this is pretty low on my list and unless you are looking over $2500 doesn't really come into play and is VERY subjective.

So read, read, read, then think and then read some more. If you've already made your decision to buy crap and not listen, then do so and be done. Otherwise, do your research and make an educated decision. To me, the Bushnell 3200 10x is a great starter optic as it is a value in every sense of the word and will give you an idea or what you need/want after putting 5000rds on her. Resale loss would be maybe $30 if you decide it's not for you. Try selling an Osprey and see what your resale loss would be..

Cheers,
Hawk

Thanks for your reply and i have done some research,that why im asking about other scopes,What bothers me the most about this thread is the first asshole that makes a smart ass kno it all reply to my question everyone follows it like little girls.
Hell I'm a woman and I notice that! And if some of the ones BEING NO HELP BUT smart asses that running there Suk Suk would read they would see I'm trying that's why i asked about a few diff scopes and not the shitty osprey,And i am taking in all what you helpful members are posting like HAWK,I understand you guys are giving me great leads i just wanted some options on some of the current ones i read about and for everyone that says one scope is a no go there's others that say there ok when reading the threads that's why i ask directly and I thank you all {I repeat} for your help and tough love AND im not looking for you guys to give me nothing with out me reading and researching.But for you that cant help me or reply to what i ask on my post KEEP IT MOVIN and dont post,and those of you members that understand my need for help thank you!!! thank you!!! thank you!!!!. And for all you great SnipersHide, VET no disrespect meant.THANKS GUYS.

sho-biz,,,,,,,

someone should have told you about the rule of thumb on jocking up some glass for a rifle off the rack

if you seek to do good things with this whole lash-up and see and hit things out long......

EXPECT to spend more on the base/rings and optics than you did for the rifle.

sometimes i quote myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sho-biz,,,,,,,

someone should have told you about the rule of thumb on jocking up some glass for a rifle off the rack

if you seek to do good things with this whole lash-up and see and hit things out long......

EXPECT to spend more on the base/rings and optics than you did for the rifle.

sometimes i quote myself</div></div>
Thanks BolTipper
Now this is the type of advise i need I totally agree with you i just want something mid way decent to get me down range till i can get my dream glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm an asshole, you're a moron. We all have our faults.

Good luck finding something.</div></div>
No offence JEO, you been great help and you shouldn't think of your self like that,but since you called your self that in my eyes your an exceptional A\HOLE cause you don't know any better and a lot of help. the world and schools need more people like you could you image the rise in collage graduates due to you, hell it took you to teach me i was a dumb ass;as you call people that don't know morons. i promise Im not and won't be the only one on here that is not lucky enuff to be a MR SnipersHide know all as you. GOD BLESS

your post has been very helpful,