• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes "cheap" scopes

Csolson987

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
monroe, washington
So I recently purchased a Remington 700 sps tactical in .308 winchester. I am still still looking for scopes and I have noticed that there are a lot of scopes that are in the $150-$200 range that seem good such as the osprey or barska scopes. Are these scopes even worth buying or a waste of money?

Re: "cheap" scopes

they're a waste of money.... look at the Bushnell Elite 10x at midway, find the midway discount codes on here and it's in that price range

In that price range I would stick to a fixed power scope like the bushy 3200 tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're a waste of money.... look at the Bushnell Elite 10x at midway, find the midway discount codes on here and it's in that price range</div></div>

opps I guess you beat me to it....great minds think alike
smile.gif

I ran a Falcon Menace 4-14 mil/mil for a year until recently, actually not a bad scope for the $$. I had one catstrophic failure but it was replaced under warrantee. Going back a few years, I was running S&B, USO and NF on everything, but out of necessity I had to sell off the high end optics and go with the Falcon, it is not in the "high end" optics class but it got me back in the game shooting matches.

Bottom line, get the most optic you can afford, however much or little that may be.

Kirk R

depends on how serious you are, in my opinion...
bought my dad, who shoots once every 4 months, a Menace.
I buy Nightforce scopes, but should be buying more high end stuff BUT...I don't shoot every day and all that.
I don't have a problem shooting through my Leupolds...

couple of things...when you buy, for example, a Menace...
it works great when you take a first glance. Dial it up to max magnification and you will start to see things happen in your sight picture that won't happen with a higher end optic.

I'm happy with my NFs and Leupolds...

That being said, what happens when you're in really shitty conditions and you have everything working against you need something to negate those shitty conditions (like rain, fog, etc)... the cheap glass WILL NOT give you a clear sight picture.

just my opinion

You not only need to assess what your going to do with your gun, you have to assess what type of person are you. Are you the type of person that gets an adequate piece of gear and are happy with it, or will you want to upgrade? If you're the latter you should by once and cry once. If you're the former I'd look into the lower end Vortex scopes. They are good scopes for the money, and they still have the unlimited transferable warranty.

I'm surprised that you have not been struck by lightning for using "Barska" and "good" in the same sentence.

most every new guy makes the mistake of thinking scopes like barska, osprey, ncstar look cool so they must be what you need.

for 150 - 200 bucks i would look at the nirtex tr2. if at all possible i would save a little longer and go with a wotac

regarding cheap scopes...all depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

I agree that they are a waste of money in the long run. However, if you're just looking to put some glass on a rifle to actually get to the range without waiting a year to save for quality glass, there fine...some better than others.

problems you'll encounter is poor return to zero when going from one range to another or inaccuuate adjustments. for example on my Barska I'll make an inch adjustment and it takes shooting a few through it before it holds. Once it holds it stays. Another issue is poor paralac adjustment.

If all you'll be doing is sitting at a bench or shooting a deer at a fixed range it's fine. But it won't last long.

200 dollar scope...try to double that and you'll open the door to a bit more quality.

Burris for example has some great scopes that you can pickup for not much more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200193-Burris-Fu...=item20bca642ef

I'll suggest either Vortex or SS from SWFA. Both brands give you lifetime warranty. Like was already said, at least double your budget and your options increase.

Going too cheap will just cost you in the long run. You'll start out spending $200 which could very well be junk, then you'll save up all over again - $300-400 and try again. If you'd have just spent a little more the first go around, you'd have the extra coin still in your pocket.

If $200 is the max. you can or want to spend, I'd still lean towards a Vortex or a fixed power SS. Even if you have to go with a used model - you still have a bullet proof lifetime warranty to fall back on. Both companies will repair or replace if you ever have an issue.

Look on SWFA's sample list for used or the optics for sale section here on the hide.

What are your plans with this rifle..... hunting, punching paper, steel targets? How bout the distances you plan on shooting?

Another advantage to the Bushnell 3200 or SS10X42 is when you realize they too are sub-par scopes atleast you can sell them and recoop most of your money because they're aren't complete pieces of crap. A $150-200 barska or osprey you would basically have to just right off because you could probably only get $50 for them if anybody would even buy them. With the SS or Bushy you can sell it and only lose $25-50.

I would stay away from the Falcon too, just more chinese junk and doesn't even have a lifetime warranty. They do atleast somewhat hold their value too, but not like the SS's do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're a waste of money.... look at the Bushnell Elite 10x at midway, find the midway discount codes on here and it's in that price range </div></div>

+1 Stay away from the cheap scope other wise you spend your $$$ twice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSOlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info. I am planing on target shooting and possibly hunting with this rifle. I would like to compete later on but not until I have some more experience. I am now considering the bushel elite from midway or a leupold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=353744 </div></div>

That's not the one you want, that one has moa adjustments and a mil reticle which is retarded. Here is the mil/mil one and it's on sale for $50 less.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=950843

I have learned the hard way, so will just say that $150-$200 is just a down payment on a decent scope. I am sure you purchased the SPS Tac to reach out a little in distance, so you will also want to actually see your target. Good enough is not really "good enough."

I know everyone will say buy a $1000-$2000 scope, but...

My shooting partner has a 20" SPS tactical and shoots out to 1000 yards, returns the scope dials back to a verified zero @ 100y and went back out the next trip and hit 1000y in 6 shots (10" plate). All with a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50.

The guy who runs the range is an awesome shot out to 1000 yards with BSA tactical scope(cheap).

Bitchin scopes are nice to have but are a luxury not a necessity.

Vortex has the best warranty ever. I would get the Viper if you can budget it, Crossfire if you cant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know everyone will say buy a $1000-$2000 scope, but...

My shooting partner has a 20" SPS tactical and shoots out to 1000 yards, returns the scope dials back to a verified zero @ 100y and went back out the next trip and hit 1000y in 6 shots (10" plate). All with a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50.

The guy who runs the range is an awesome shot out to 1000 yards with BSA tactical scope(cheap).

Bitchin scopes are nice to have but are a luxury not a necessity.

Vortex has the best warranty ever. I would get the Viper if you can budget it, Crossfire if you cant. </div></div>

Agreed. I would say get the best you can afford, but if you can't afford much buy the best Vortex your budget will allow. I'm an admitted Vortex slappy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guy who runs the range is an awesome shot out to 1000 yards with BSA tactical scope(cheap).</div></div>

I just picked up a BSA Tactical from Midway... $160.00 to my door. I put it on my TRR to give it a shot. To be very honest, I really do like the scope!! I will be ordering another one come next payday for my .243 Predator MAX.

DK

Took the TRR and BSA Tactical out today for a few rounds... actually more like 150 or so. I personally like the BSA Tactical Scope. For the funds shelled out... it is a nice scope.

It did what it was supposed to do. I will be ordering another.

BSA1.jpg

DK

For $180-250 you can get some great hunting scopes now a days, but I just don't think you can get a great tactical scope in that price range.

IMO the best you can do for not much over that price would be something like a Burris FFII outfitted with Burris's tactical turrets for the $80 they charge to put them on.

I have the BSA Mil Dot Tactical 6-24x44 on my Rem 700 5R. I'm still new to precision shooting so I only have about maybe 75 rounds with it. It seems to be ok, I really have not had any other scopes to compare it to. I think it is pretty good for the price.

I have used a bunch of cheap scopes. They do what they are designed to do, to a degree. They dont last as long, are not as clear, have adjustment issues, dont always track right and a multitude of other differences between higher end glass. If you realize this when you buy them then you wont be disappointed. I used cheap scopes until I could afford better glass. There is no shame in doing so. The Bushnell is a great scope and should do you well for what you are wanting to do, like others have said you could also go the vortex route. I have been impressed with their quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guy who runs the range is an awesome shot out to 1000 yards with BSA tactical scope(cheap).</div></div>

I just picked up a BSA Tactical from Midway... $160.00 to my door. I put it on my TRR to give it a shot. To be very honest, I really do like the scope!! I will be ordering another one come next payday for my .243 Predator MAX.

DK </div></div>
I have that scope on my rimfire. You can't compare it to a higher end scope, BUT it gets the job done. Now Im spoiled and hate looking through fuzzier optics, but otherwise I haven't noticed anything inherently wrong with it.

For the money you cant go wrong with the Bushnell series scopes at Midway. If you want to keep it under $200 go with the 10x 3200. I got a great deal on there Elete 3x12x44mm FFP. When they were on sale. Worth the extra moeny.

as far as cheap scopes go, i like the ospreys, my dad has one and we shoot very well with it. But when you start zooming all the way in, or changing the turrets, you can get into problems, but for the money, i love the reticle, the illumination, and I shoot on around 6 power out beyond 200 yards and shoot well. Its a good little entry scope, but dont expect it to be anything like a nightforce. Just my thoughts though, hope this helps.

Mate I have recently bought one of these very rifles myself!
What an absolute fantastic rifle! I added a 10 round Mag conversion to it and then of course like you was faced with an optics choice and still do. haha.
I had a spare Knock off LEUPOLD Mk 4 Tactical that I got from EBAY china for 69.00 that I tried out on it the other day.
I got two because I thought they would be that crap I would need a spare for when one shit itself. Having said that I only normaly use it on a .22 to bang bunnies and sometimes small kangaroos. Anyway I did not have a spare good scope to put on it for the weekend just gone so I used the cheapy. Long story short, I managed to achieve a group of 108mm at 600m in only a matter of 15 rounds! Now realistically that's pretty good and you could not ask for much more than that out of something that cost me the same as a bottle of good scotch!
I tried the same scope out on my BA 110 .338 and could not get better than 300mm at 600m and swapped the Genuine M4 Tactical Leupold on to the SPS. I achieved a group of 67mm at 600m with the real deal. The real LEUPOLD cost 2 thousand and the fake was 69.00, so I guess the trade off is cheap vs expensive vs accuracy and reliability.
So in summation I will be using either a Genuine Leupold or a Nightforce.
I used both in the Army and Both were brilliant scopes and I currently use a leupold on a 22-250 that I shoot every night without fail.
The Fake Leupold is absolutely fantastic on my .22 and I can head shoot roos behind the eye from 137m away with subsonic rounds. Of course the .22 has virtualy Zero recoil so this is the factor for all I spose.
Go with a good one mate. It's a small price to pay for something that will last you years and years compared to one that will just piss you off and be unreliable from day one!
cheers.