• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cheap shooting mat mod

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
I have one of the cheap Midway shooting mats. It is simple and functional, but the one thing I hated was when I tried to load my bipod the feet would slip down the apron. So the last time I was at Walmart I picked up a piece of canvas material and some heavy duty thread. It cost me about $7. I just figured out where I wanted the flap and sewed it on. I think it turned out OK and it really helped controling the rifle.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTguanBn.jpg

Re: cheap shooting mat mod

Looks like pretty good work to me. Should have come that way to begin with.

Nice. I almost did the same thing except I didn't want to sew a section in the center. I cut a 3/8" wood dowel rod as wide as the mat itself. Rolled the front lip down over the dowel and marked where to sew it. Pull the dowel out, had my mom bust out her sewing machine and she ran a single line along the mark. I put the dowel back in. You have to really push the rifle to get a Harris to 'roll' over it; haven't tried the Atlas yet.

I agree. Something like that needs to be done on that line of mats. I don't really like where they put it on the bigger mats.

Looks good. I like the fabric idea because it's fordable. The dowel idea isn't bad either.

I used a dowel though the eyelets and sewed a simple loop at the front middle of the mat to secure the dowel there. Worked well, but after I got my Atlas I didn't feel the need for it anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Midway pro mat does come that way.</div></div>

I ordered this one right before they came out with that model, which always seems to happen to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just get pod claws lol

cool mod btw</div></div>

I am going to order some pod claws for hunting, but I would think they would just slide down the cloth like the rubber feet. Thanks for the compliments, I enjoy little projects like this and thought it might help somebody.