• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap Trigger Time

Evilaviator

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Question for you guys. Hope this is in the correct forum.

I am just about done with my custom built .308 for F-Class competition. I am thinking about purchasing a CZ452 Varmant .22LR to get some cheap trigger time.. I have read that shooting a .22LR at 200yds is pretty close to shooting a .308 at 500yds as far as applying wind dope and elevation changes. I guess my question is this. Do you think this is a viable and economical way to practice or is there no substitute for practicing with the real thing? Dry firing isn't my cup o tea. Seeing immediate feedback with rounds on paper seems like the best way for me to learn. I just want to be able to practice trigger control, hold, wind correction....etc without breaking the piggy bank.

Re: Cheap Trigger Time

.22 LR at 200 on the NRA SR target is akin to the 308 at 1,000.

The sport of Mini-Palma is specifically designed for long-range rimfire training for off-season Palma shooters and masochists.

Seriously, though, .22s at 200 will give you lots of wind-reading practice.

Another option. You built a F-Class rifle, how about using cast bullet and shoot small bore targets. Cheaper then buying a new gun. It also allows you to use the same rifle for practice you'll use in matches.

I do that to keep in practice during the winter months for high powder matches and it helps me.

I think it is a great tool, but prefer the 17hmr. I know ammo is a bit more costly, but its not too bad.

ballistically it is leaps and bounds ahead of 22lr. Much more fun. Great for getting humbled by the wind as well.