• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Cheap tripod & binos for first few matches?

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
Nashville
I'm going to try to hit a few matches this summer if I can, and for the most part I feel like I'm pretty squared away on gear, but I know I'm going to need to get some binos and a tripod to rest them on for spotting targets and "watching the action" and such... thing is, I really haven't had any need or interest in getting a tripod, so I don't have one yet, and really besides for match use I've no need for binos really either.

So, I know this a buy-once-cry-once/go-be-poor-somewhere-else forum, but I don't have any reason to go whole hog on a tripod and binos (yet), so what would you experienced guys recommend just for getting by with for my first few matches?
Cheaper the better... this more than likely won't be my "forever gear", and there is a real chance this stuff won't get used a whole lot, so "good enough" will be good enough (for now).

Yeah, I indeed might end up getting a top-shelf RRS tripod and some sick legit binos down the road... but for now, I just want the bare minimum to get by.

I was thinking maybe a RT90C (~$300p IIRC, still more than I'd like to spend but not unreasonable if I can sell it later and recoup some of that) and really have no idea for binos (not even sure how much magnification I should be looking for)?

Thanks in advance.

If you really are only gonna use it for watching the action, do you need a tripod at all? Could plop your pack and your backside on the ground and use the pack as a rest to stabilize binos.

10x is a good do-most-of-it magnification, and should be more than sufficient for spotting impacts at PRS distances. Bushnell Forge binos are pretty good for the price, as are Minox.

Reactions: CK1.0
If you really are only gonna use it for watching the action, do you need a tripod at all? Could plop your pack and your backside on the ground and use the pack as a rest to stabilize binos.

So maybe just binos and a lawn-chair ;-)

So, I know this a buy-once-cry-once/go-be-poor-somewhere-else forum, but I don't have any reason to go whole hog on a tripod and binos (yet), so what would you experienced guys recommend just for getting by with for my first few matches?

If these are your first couple matches, I would not worry about a tripod or binos yet. There will be lots of optics and tripods there, one of your squad mates will let you look through their glass so you can locate all the targets down range. No, you won't be able to hang out on glass and watch for an extended period of time, but that's not necessary at this point. Just find the targets, make note of landmarks around them so you can locate them with your naked eye, and then spend the rest of your time mentally preparing for the stage - dope check, know the target order and course of fire, etc, etc.

Down the road if you get more into it you can decide how much you want to spend on tripod/binos.

You are going to want a tripod. Holding anything by hand won't be steady enough to see whats going on. You are going to spend way more time looking through your binos than your rifle scope. You want them to be steady and clear. Also make sure the tripod will go tall enough for you to see through your glass without bending over. It gets old having to hunch over all the time. I would suggest a tripod shelf of some kind also. Your tripod will become your "work station" to figure your dope and make your range card. It's nice to have a place to work from thats not the ground.

I have a two vets 40 mike mike. The RT90C looks very similar. I'm sure it will be fine for what you want to do.

10x binos will probably be fine. I like 12x-15x myself. I have Bushnell forge. I see a lot of Vortex, Athlon, Bushnell, and Swaros.

I’d suggest the Two Vets tripod and Bushnell 15X Forge binos on a budget.

I got the RT80 just for that reason and for holding up my binos they are fine but that's about it. For binos give Doug a call at Camera Land and give him your budget, he will point you in the right direction.

buy once cry once. You’ll never regret the approach. Maybe the execution, but not the approach.

Idk your range finder set up but I bought the rangefinder binos from sig and they’ve been stupid reliable always spot on on ranges according to stage brief I’ve treated mine like shit and they’re clicking right along, DO NOT BUY A BOG POD. Guys that say they’re decent don’t use them often

In all honesty I wouldn't bother getting a tripod and binos at all. 99% of the matches I've ever been to, there's at least 1 guy per squad rocking Swarovski binos sitting on a RRS tripod. They're always happy to share. 80% of the time there's so many spotter and tripod setups that there's a set or 2 of high end glass just not being used. I bought a leofoto tripod and a bushnell legend spotter and now they stay in the car. Plenty of dudes running better kit and willing to share. No reason for me to pack all that crap.

As a side note, I've found 15x to be the absolute sweet spot for PRS type events. Vortex kinda shit the bed on their new razor UHD's. 12x leaves you wanting just a tiny bit more magnification, while 18x is too much

I would waste my money on everything else first.
These are your first matches, you’ll learn that there will be 10 guys in a squad, 6 of them brought tripods and glass, only 3 of them are looking through at a time and the rest of them are usually empty so you can pick your poison.
The good news is you get to try lots of glass this way before you buy yourself.
I stopped bringing a spotter and tripod anywhere other than iron sight paper matches about a year ago.

I have the pig 0311, I think it's a solid "starting" tripod that'll do the job until you can get a nice CF tripod with a proper ballhead.

I have the Pig Lite CF version and am very satisfied with it for NOT being priced like a top tier bipod. Works great for spotting scope and RF.

Give @gr8fuldoug at Cameralandny. He’s a legit guy that will get you a smoking deal. They have a damn good sale on tripods and heads right now.

Buy good binoculars, and a mount. Lot of guy have a spare tripod that they will loan you. 12 power - 15 power would be a good place to start. More importantly, show up and shoot. Guys change gear like underwear. Might find used gear a little cheaper