• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap way to get into stainless steel tumbling

Quinc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
California
Have to make 100 meaningful posts so here we go.
After reloading 200rds of .45acp I realized I needed a better method then:

Tumbling with walnut
Wiping down each piece of brass
cleaning primer pocket
cleaning inside of brass with brush

Then beginning the reloading process.

So after a bunch of research Stainless steel is a no brainer. However, it is EXPENSIVE!

So to get into it as cheaply as possible:
Get a harborfreight 20% off coupon out of Sundays newspaper, or online.

Go buy the <span style="font-weight: bold">dual</span> 3lb tumbler for 49.99 after coupon + 9.99 2 year replacement plan comes out to 54$

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

Make sure and oil it all the time as they go bad quick if you don't. Also might have to buy a hoover vacuum belt for it from wal-mart.

Next call http://www.pelletsllc.com/ and tell them you want steel media for brass. 5lbs for 40$ shipped. You only need 2#'s so you can split this with a friend and save 20$.

6q5zL.jpg

1lb SS
1lb brass
1lb water
1 squirt of dish soap per tumbler
<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT</span>: Lemon Shine makes a huge difference in keeping the brass shinny after it drys.
PFUHs.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Before:</span>
R2qKQ.jpg

0DEnr.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">After 1hr:</span>
4dGfh.jpg

CyBJm.jpg

Re: Cheap way to get into stainless steel tumbling

There are 2 pieces of the media stuck in this case like l_ . I have tried beating the case against the counter and the media will not budge. So just something to keep an eye out for, and a reminder to run your resizing die with the de-capping pin still in it.
tEQYW.jpg

Very interesting. I didn't know you could use that harbor freight tumbler with stainless media.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Question, is that one pound of each item for each drum or total?</span>

Nevermind, I see each drum holds 3#'s. Should have read closer the first time.

Also, If you don't want to buy 5lbs the STM website has a 2lb bag of media for $20.

Would you approximate how many cases fit in the #3 drums with water and SS pellets?

I almost went the harbor route too. Then my brother in law said he has a rock tumbler. I told him to bring it by and so he did. Low and behold its a Thumler's Model B that he's had for more than 25 years. I've been in clean & polished brass heaven ever since.

I've been doing this since early 2010 as a cheap way to get into the tumbler.

I've smoked 2 of the dual drum tumblers now, they're the same motor and size drums as the single but they double the duty cycle on the thing by just running 2 drums on it.

The quality has greatly increased since 2010 though, that's good.

A piece of advice, as soon as you get the drum take off the end caps on the rollers and put a little grease in there, they are unlubed plastic bushings. Lube them up and it will help a lot.

Also, the black drums shed black rubber dust. Don't put them on something you can't get the dust out of (like a carpet, guess how I know).

Last time I cooked one of the dual drum units my local Hazard Fraught "tools" didn't have any duals in stock to replace it under warranty, so they let me take a pair of the single drum units.

I greased them right away as well, they have been going strong for more than double the time. I use the SS about 4 days a week.

I put ~1lb of pins in each drum, the other 3lb are in a coffee can for spare or if I get another tumbler at some point.

The drums each comfortably hold appx the following with 1lb of pins:

150-200 9mm cases
125-150 45, 40, 10auto cases
85 223's
45-50 308 sized
35 30-06
30-35 300WSM

I use a hefty squirt of cheap dish soap and a 45 case full of powdered lemi-shine.

The Lemi-shine is huge! Don't skip it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cluebat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Needlenose pliers will make short work of the stuck pins. </div></div>

That only works if you see them.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been doing this since early 2010 as a cheap way to get into the tumbler.

I've smoked 2 of the dual drum tumblers now, they're the same motor and size drums as the single but they double the duty cycle on the thing by just running 2 drums on it.

The quality has greatly increased since 2010 though, that's good.

A piece of advice, as soon as you get the drum take off the end caps on the rollers and put a little grease in there, they are unlubed plastic bushings. Lube them up and it will help a lot.

Also, the black drums shed black rubber dust. Don't put them on something you can't get the dust out of (like a carpet, guess how I know).

Last time I cooked one of the dual drum units my local Hazard Fraught "tools" didn't have any duals in stock to replace it under warranty, so they let me take a pair of the single drum units.

I greased them right away as well, they have been going strong for more than double the time. I use the SS about 4 days a week.

I put ~1lb of pins in each drum, the other 3lb are in a coffee can for spare or if I get another tumbler at some point.

The drums each comfortably hold appx the following with 1lb of pins:

150-200 9mm cases
85 223's
45-50 308 sized
35 30-06
30-35 300WSM

I use a hefty squirt of cheap dish soap and a 45 case full of powdered lemi-shine.

The Lemi-shine is huge! Don't skip it. </div></div>

No joke about the shedding black dust. That stuff gets everywhere!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

150-200 9mm cases
85 223's
45-50 308 sized
35 30-06
30-35 300WSM

The Lemi-shine is huge! Don't skip it. </div></div>

I can do 1000 9mms at a time in my Dillon vibratory. I dont see the extra bling being worth the added time and cost.

So, when you finish for the day, how do you seperate pins from brass, rinse, dry, etc. Do you rinse or clean tumbler?
Nice results, just wondering how the process finishes.

Anyone tried the harbor freight cement mixer?

Not exactly a "cheap" method, but seems like it would fit 20lbs of pins and 10k pcs of 9mm brass....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried the harbor freight cement mixer?

Not exactly a "cheap" method, but seems like it would fit 20lbs of pins and 10k pcs of 9mm brass.... </div></div>

Haven't tried it but I figured if I ever got into the reloading biz I would!
grin.gif

I rinse out the tubs a bunch of times to try and get as much of the soap out as possible while also not spilling any pins. Then while the tubs are still full of water I lift out all the brass upside down. After that if it is hot outside I put them outside in a pie tin or something to dry. If it's cold outside the pie tin goes on-top of the fireplace.

I am definitely going to have to try this method. Good instruction and thanks for sharing!

I've seen these at Harbor Freight and always thought they were to small for this. Now I think I'm going to pick one up. I see they are on sale for $50.

How long does it take to clean each batch of brass?

Hey I actually did this, too good to pass up and I hate case prep! Works like a champ, did 100pc of 308 in exactly an hour and they came out looking awesome. Flash holes were about 80% clean which is fine for me, and the insides were even shiny all the way to the bottom. I will upgrade to the STM product when I burn this one up, the extra money will be worth it. I just use a hair dryer to get them started and let sit over night to dry, tommorow is trim and prep the rest of the way and start loading them up.

Great info!

Thanks Quinc your thread finally got me started with STM just broke it in and it's awesome!

I want to get in to this as well, but the harbor freight tumbler sees too small for .308 brass. Just don't want to be limited to 25 pieces of brass at a time.