• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheaper walnut media?

Corn cob shins/polishes brass the best, walnut media will give almost the same results with some polishing media but will really clean the crud out (even without the polishing compound)

And yes some suggest Lizard litter, its a decent product that will give about the same results as the stuff Lyman sells for 2X's the price.

Just an FYI, usually Petco is cheaper

Last edited:
Joe that's the stuff I use, add some NuFinish car wax to it, the first bag I bought lasted 7 years or about 30k of case cleaning, I bought another bag last year after I figured out brass does not need SS media clean.

Walnut isn't always walnut for purposes of getting brass clean, so be aware. Some of the stuff that I've bought over the years, has smoother edges and will take a bit longer, but I also add stuff like Flitz, or Dillon's rapid polish, so that helps, whatever you end up using.

Chris

Joe that's the stuff I use, add some NuFinish car wax to it, the first bag I bought lasted 7 years or about 30k of case cleaning, I bought another bag last year after I figured out brass does not need SS media clean.

I found a 10qt bag on sale for 7.49@Petco. I'll give it a try with a little RCBS polishing compound. The SS pin tumbled brass sure looks good but no extra funds for the setup.

I have heard white rice is the way to go. I am going to try it when my Lizard stuff is gone.

Been using the lizard walnut with a cap full of nu finish for a while now. Cleans my brass as good as anything I have used.

Exactly, zilla walnut and a capful of Nufinish, I cut it with a tablespoon of mineral spirits and it never clumps up. Really gets the the bling going and never sticks in the flash holes'

CHEAP WALNUT MEDIA
I live in a fishing town so there are a few marine supply stores. If you can go to one and ask for walnut media for non-skid. I bought a 50lb bag for $20. works great and every other tumbler bowl full I add about a cap full of Nu Finish to it.

I used to buy 50 pound bags of crushed walnut shells from industrial safety supply places for around $25/50 pounds. they also sell corncob media cheap.