• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest 7.62 ammo for ak47

JJRawr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
El Paso, TX
Tryin to find a cheaper alternative for plinking. 308 ammo is killing me! Anyone know why I can buy some bulk 7.62 ammo for cheap?

Re: Cheapest 7.62 ammo for ak47

Ammoman yugo 230.00 shipped per CASE. got mine in 8 days. Good ammo as well, its brass but is corrosive no biggie just clean after use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it safe to run a different media other than brass? </div></div>

Its an AK!!! Run the cheapest, nastiest, dirtiest crap you can get for it (regardless of whether it has steel cases or otherwise)...just be sure if it is corrosive that you clean it after you get done.

and by clean.....clean it like it's an ak...just spray windex down the barrel and run a bore snake down once...twice at most. yeah it's "corrosive"...but how many ak's can you name that have EVERRRRRR messed up due to the "corrosion"? The corrosive ammo promotes rust, ak's have chrome lined barrels to mitigate the rust. Corrosive ammo = no problem

Agree the corrosive issue is more a concern for the areas where the phosphate or whatever coating you have (durracoat for me) has worn down. The inside of the gas tube and gas block where the piston head rests come to mind.

Havent tested the idea but speculating a worst case scenario the rifle sits w/out a round in the chamber and rust forms around the piston head making it a bitch to charge. If the same happened wih a round in the chamber I'm fairly certian there is enough pressure to blow the piston back regardless of the amount of rust between the two. Just talking out loud have not and do not plan to test this theory.

As for brass vs steel the Yugo seems to be a bit cheaper than wolf or the other steel. Given a choice why not go with brass? Yes its an AK and it was built for steel but given the option I choose less wear and tear if possible. Also brass is more friendly for other x39 rifles such as AR's, Sig and Ruger if those ever find a way into the stable.

Cool thanks for the advice. I was going to get wolf on cabellas but I'll check into yugo

Cleaning? AK? What?

I thought the cleaning kit in the butt was to help balance the rifle?

The Russian surplus stuff is fine, but the primers are corrosive (I think). I just pour boiling water down the barrel, and then dry it off. It beats running those stinking patches.
I've shot Tula, Bear, Wolf, and Monarch through my AK74 without a problem.
Those aren't corrosive, but they are more expensive than the surplus stuff.

Which AK ammo is the cheapest changes weekly.

Generally though, its either the Yugo surplus stuff, Uly/Tula, or Wolf that are the cheapest.