• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

cheapest gun and scope combo cable of 1000y shots?

b20accord

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Hey guys. I own acouple handguns and shotguns but ive been looking into getting into rifles lately. Im looking for whatever is the cheapest i can get for a rifle and scope that is capable of 1000y MAX shots if i wanted. I live in socal and i really have no where i could make a shot like that (legally) so realistically i dont think i will ever make a shot over 500 yards even at a range but i would like the capabiltly if i wanted to. Looking for something in .308 or 30-06 if possible and perferably a new gun and scope. So throw me the cheapest combos you think are capable of this. I understand if this is not possible cheaply maybe (1000$ and under range) even if this means buying a mosin nagant for 99$ and slapping on a good scope lol. I have the money to spend as much as needed for a good setup if i have to but its easier to explain to the wife how i spent around 1000$ compared to like 3500$ on a gun lol..plus im really trying to be a cheap ass right now because im recently unemployed and dont know how long it will last before i find a job. THank you guys for your help!

Re: cheapest gun and scope combo cable of 1000y shots?

ps: this will not be for hunting. Strickly shooting paper if that makes a diffrence.

savage 10 308 $450
used super sniper 10x,16 or 20x $250
B&C stock $200
egw 20 moa base $40

that set up would be a nice starter set-up

just out of curiousity would the savage steven 200 models (budget model) be capable enough with a good scope setup? Also i see most of you guys add a stock to the list of what you need. What does a new stock add to the setup or is it just a comfort/look thing? I really dont know alot about rifles so this is all new to me. Thank you guys for the help.

Here is my current setup. Most people here would consider it cheap, or a beginner setup, This is high end for a college student.
wink.gif

Remington 700 sps varmint- 620
Super sniper 16x42 - 300
EGW 20 MOA base - 50
Burris tactical rings - 60
HS precision stock - 200
Bipod - 50

Total -1280

The only real drawback of the stevens 200 is the pencil barrel which will start to heat up in 3 shots with a magnum. The stock upgrade will keep the stock off the barrel when shooting since its stiffer. You could go with one of the wood laminate savages and save some money. Another scope to consider is the bushnell 3200 10x with tactical turrets. Brand new is less than 200 bones.

You could get a rem sps in 243, load some 105's put on the bushnell and an egw base and a set of rings for less than $1000. That combo is VERY capable at 1000 yds.

Check out Howa and if the Axium if its CA approved. If not check the Talon butthole stock. They have scope packages under $1000 and in several calibers that should do out to 1000 yrds.
Its the same action s the Weatherby Vanguard. The Vanguard is a good option too.
Howa Link

If you want the best low price rifle look at Tikka T3. Smooth as glass action.

maybe consider a 30.06 also or a 300wm. i can only offer what i kinda picked up from reading up on my rifle and the 308 while learning about reloading. but those two will go the distance your after also and possibly provide you better performance. ability for heavier bullets. more punch at the end too if im not mistaken. like i said, im a newb, ive shot stuff all my life, just not highpower or long range. i read then try. the 308 will do it too, but you mentioned cheap. there might be a 30.06 out there at a good price. you can get the savage in a mcmillam stock as well as a HS precision stock for i little more over the base fp also rather that look for an after market stock. im all savage, its all i know. you can get a savage action for $385 and a match barrel for $300 but then you gotta get a stock, its a trade off really. the basic FP tupperware stock everybody seems to have complaints about. they can be improved, but guys are eventually upgrading. you can get a mcmillan anything for the savage acation, a4, a5 all of them, but you gotta order. if you want to go savage, try jim at northland over on the savage shooters forum. he may have something for your purposes. stock, action and barrel. it its punching paper he has alot of stuff in stock and i bet can basically build you a nice savage.

The 30-06 is a all around round. You can load reduced loads starting at 100 grains. I have loaded for my son reduced loads from 100g to 150g and he and I can shoot it all day like its a 22mag, no recoil. Or you can load them up or buy premium rounds and reach way out there.

Stevens 200 Short action .473 bolt face = $230.00 + DROS, transfer, and tax fees, probably around $300.
(includes bottom metal, trigger, lug and barrel nut)
Savage Factory varmint weight barrel 308 = $205.00
(10 twist, 26")
EGW 20 MOA base = $50.00
B&C Medalist A2 stock = $207.00
Rings + Bipod = $120.00 max

Add scope of choice with remaining budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just out of curiousity would the savage steven 200 models (budget model) be capable enough with a good scope setup? Also i see most of you guys add a stock to the list of what you need. What does a new stock add to the setup or is it just a comfort/look thing? I really dont know alot about rifles so this is all new to me. Thank you guys for the help. </div></div>

Currently I'm running a Stevens 200 action with a heavy contour 223 barrel out to around 800 without issues. Its pretty much a stock stevens with the exception of the barrel albeit the barrel is a factory Savage 9 twist. I did a few modifications to the stock to stiffen it up considerably and added a Kydex cheek piece. I also did my own trigger work to get the stock trigger down to just under 2 lbs. Topped with 2 piece weaver bases(next thing to change) with weaver rings and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. The gun came with a sporter 308 barrel that shot very well, right around .75 moa with 169 SMKs or 155 SMKs. The 223 barrel shoots excellent to with 69g SMKS and 50g Vmaxs, consistently shooting around .5moa with the last 3 shot group yesterday at 300 yards measuring .68 inches horizontally strung.

Right now with the used 223 barrel I bought I have just over 600$ in it. That being said I got a hell of a deal on the scope. The bases came with the gun. I paid 300 for the gun, 35 for the rings, 160 for the scope and 100 for the barrel. I have a heavy contour savage 308 barrel coming I got for 40$ so after I buy a 20moa one piece base I'll be pushing beyond 800 yards with the 308 rather than the 223.

Its a snap to change barrels to, I can swap between 223 and 308 in the matter of 10-15 minutes. The only drawback is with the 223 I cant use the factory mag. I made a piece to fit in the stock so I can load single rounds easily though just by dropping them in the port. I could just buy a mag for the 223 to swap in but it doesn't bother me. I would imagine the gun would shoot even better with a good stock and a bedding job but right now its shooting so well and the stock fits me good enough I have no plans to change it. Here are some pics of the setup and 2 groups it shot yesterday while testing loads. The target on the right with the 69 SMK 3 shot group is the one from 300 yards, the one on the left is a 5 shot group from 100 yards.

DSC01608.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

wow! Thanks for all the reponses guys! I really appreciate it! This helps alot!! Im just going threw everyones posts and reserching everyones reconmendations right now! Again thanks alot!

hey look at this model too. they have a new edge and a long range hunter model. savage is what im talking about. its $934 msrp but you can get it cheaper i bet. its got the accustock so its better than tupperware. look at it...

4506701807_1b212247bd_o.png

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1732735#Post1732735

or look at the edge series, $329 msrp for a 30.06 not sure what you can do to it for mods, but still. thats less than a bare savage barrel. or put a nice match barrel on a stevens, put it in a stock and get a SSS trigger or any of the others. jim at northland does only savage/stevens just like a few other guys. not saying anybody cant work on them, but there are a few that have been at it for years and kinda built up a niche market and know how to tweak that brand. if you go savage om saying. lotta good non tactical stocks or wood composite bench rest / target style options that you can get a little cheaper than a mcmillan or HS.. anyway, feel free to ask for a link

Here is as simple as it gets, and what I just paid for it:

700 SPS 26" HB .308, $569...Bass pro Shops
Vortex 6.5-20X44, $379... Liberty Optics
EGW picatinny 20MOA base... $40 Midway
Warne Weaver style rings... $40 Midway

Paid $1028 for the whole thing, all new.

A Savage in 300 Win mag would be hard to beat if you don't mind recoil. I have seen some amazing results with a box stock savage wearing a heavy bbl. If you can find a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm rem mag...that would work nicely too!

Stick with a Stevens or Savage 10FP or hunting model. The edge can not be upgraded as it doesn't run a recoil lug and some of its parts are a bit questionable. My Stevens with the B&C, 16x SS, 20moa base, and TPS rings in 308 is capable of 1000yds. If you don't care about 308 matches go with 7mm-08 as it flies flatter and will reach out further with the right barrel. You will need to upgrade the Stevens 7mm-08 barrel however to go to the higher grain weights.

My stock 308 barrel will make it to 1000 but as stated before it will heat up quick. I'm going to be upgrading my barrel to a Walter here as soon as I get my VA money.

Good luck,
Merritt

Re: cheapest gun and scope combo cable of 1000y sh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could get a rem sps in 243, load some 105's put on the bushnell and an egw base and a set of rings for less than $1000. That combo is VERY capable at 1000 yds. </div></div>

+1

You can also check out the rifle packages at snipercentral.com

A .308 or .223. going to anything above a .308 and not having much rifle shooting experience is most likely going to give you flinch issues and the short barrel life is going to ruin your fun.
.308 is an easy 1k.
.223 is a bit harder in some respects. both are cheap to run and it's not likely you will wear a barrel out for many, many years.

Edit*
Forget the Savage Edge.

thanks for that link. They deffiently have some great deals. 975$ for a howa and 1150$ for a remington 700 both setup for long distance shooting out of the box. I am deffiently going to be considering those as well now.

So honestly im down to about 2 choices here.

-Go with the Stevens 200 and build it up
-Go with one of the pre built setups on snipercentral

A stevens setup would deffintly be cheaper but buying a ready to go setup that would only need minor changes could be a good choice too. I got a local gun show coming up in about a month this is why i am doing my research right now so i can hopefully find a good choice and good deal at the gun show but know before hand exactly what i am looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I got a local gun show coming up in about a month this is why i am doing my research right now so i can hopefully find a good choice and good deal at the gun show but know before hand exactly what i am looking for. </div></div>

Not to knock any vendors that attend a Gun Show, but I can tell you that from teh Shows I ahve gone to, the Vendors typically raise prices quite a bit, at least, @ here they do. So, make sure you have checked prices and such BEFORE you go, that way you know @ what you SHOULD be paying, and not some overinflated marked up price at a Gun Show. Again, just make sure you are prepared/educated before hand...

I bought a Rem700 in .270 for around $450, cant find the receipt. Put a Millett TRS on it with Weaver Rings and Bases, $300 for all that. So thats roughly $750 and i have a good gun.

Factory trigger adjusted and shooting 140gr Berger VLDs i can make cold bore shots at 700yds no problem on a 14" gong.

Im tryin to work on some loads and take it out to 1000yds. Im almost there and with good luck thus far.

Depends on what you meant by cheap??

We can go cheap cheap and get it out there but you wont be hitting anything.. Or do you plan on getting a hit every so often or a hit just about every time??

I'll sell this for $1,300 if you're interested. It's a 300wsm.

Flash off

TABGEARANTVOMITCAMMO009.jpg

Flash on

TABGEARANTVOMITCAMMO015.jpg

Let me know,

-Pat

He_shoot_me... I think a pic of a 100 yard target may help your cause. But that wouldn't be a bad rig for starters as long as it groups well.

Good Luck,
Merritt

That's a good idea Merritt, thanks!

It's sub MOA all day long, but pic's say a 1,000 words. I haven't officially put it up in the for sale section yet, but that idea should help. This baby is a shooter and I really don't want to sell it, but I'm obsessing over a 6.5 build.
smile.gif

Thanks,

-Pat

NS,

It's the Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist A5.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Good luck and welcome to world's most expensive hobby.

</div></div>

Cars, boats and women?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He_shoot_me... I think a pic of a 100 yard target may help your cause. But that wouldn't be a bad rig for starters as long as it groups well.

Good Luck,
Merritt </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">Also, it will probably be a good idea to make sure there are not any powder burns on that 100 yard target! Just kidding.

Bob</span> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NonnieSelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They dont make that for a Savage do they? </div></div>

No they don't. Closest you're gonna get is the B&C Medalist A2, and that stock has a solid bottom which means you will have to get it inletted for bottom metal. Not sure why they do that...

NS,

I'm not sure about the A5 for a Savage, but I'm pretty sure they make the A2 that will fit. Just take a look above at "msroseberry" signature. I think that's a A2.

Bob!

Ssssssshh......I figured-out that problem last year and had a .308 hole punch made for just such an occasion.
smile.gif

-Pat

You are going to get much better results and more for your money with a rifle built by an experienced gunsmith, than you would with a factory rifle.

We are putting together custom rifles on the Savage Action that are not expensive and shoot great. We don't use the Savage Action in all of our builds, but offer it as a moderately priced option for a custom rifle. We believe that if you are serious about Precision Marksmanship, you should have one rifle that is built specifically to you and it doesn't have to be a huge investment either. The Savage Floating Bolt Head is a great design and performs consistently well. I have one built on that action and have been shooting it for a couple of years now with great results.

We are still developing our PM Rifles webpage, but give us a call or email if you have any questions or ideas for a build. We are working on the AR Platform this year too, so that will be online sometime this summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Weiler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are going to get much better results and more for your money with a rifle built by an experienced gunsmith, than you would with a factory rifle.

</div></div>

Sure he will, and will also spend triple/quadruple the money.....

Edit...safe to assume everyone knows that you will get a better rifle going through an experienced gunsmith making a rifle for you. That's not his question...he wants cheapest route, NOT the best route

remington 700 ltr...hear great stuff about it (just picked one up but havent shot it cause i need to start saving for a scope)...$900 bucks and it comes with hs percision stock and 20 inch fluted barrel...i know you might want longer barrel for 1000 yards but this rifle should be real accurate for 500 yards and still be accurate if you get a chance to shoot farther...i know with a any scope besides a cheap one for a $100 your past where u want to be....def look into it