• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest way to buy a 338 lapua rifle

mrskylinetou

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
I'm looking to buy my first long range rifle. It been a dream of mine to get something in 338 lapua. I was looking into a tactilite upper (t1) or snowy moutain sell one for 4 grand. Sako barret chevy tact all seem to be very expensive. I'm not gonna be competion much but I don't want to buy a crap barrel or settle for something of less quality.

Are there any others that I'm over looking where I can save money on not paying for a name brand?

What would you recomemd to not break the bank and still be a tac driver?
Any advice?

Thanks everyone,

Brian

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 338 lapua rifle

the cheapest way that I know of is the Remington 700 MLR. It is under $1500, and comes with Badger bottom metal. Shoot it until you are ready, then rebarrel and maybe upgrade the stock. But it is a hell of a way to get started in the caliber.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrskylinetou</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to buy my first long range rifle. It been a dream of mine to get something in 338 lapua. I was looking into a tactilite upper (t1) or snowy moutain sell one for 4 grand. Sako barret chevy tact all seem to be very expensive. I'm not gonna be competion much but I don't want to buy a crap barrel or settle for something of less quality.

Are there any others that I'm over looking where I can save money on not paying for a name brand?

What would you recomemd to not break the bank and still be a tac driver?
Any advice?

Thanks everyone,

Brian </div></div>

If this is your FIRST LONG RANGE RIFLE what other rifles do you own? If you are learning long range shooting you probably shouldn't start with that caliber. If you are looking for a "cheap" way into 338 lapua you are probably not going to be excited about the long term cost to feed it. Otherwise, the Remingtion would be the way to go.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definition of Omnipresent: Boltripper.</div></div>

learn it & live it..........carry on!

"Cheap" should not be used in the same sentence as .338LM or "precision" for that matter
wink.gif

The cheapest way is the Remington. I think the best value for dollar way is the savage. IMHO

Ive got a 338 barrel i dont use all you need is a hammer. and ammo. Have you look at the price of brass 2 bucks a round. Bullets 1 buck and up. Maybe a 338 is not for you. Cheap is not a word that goes around very good. Try best 338 for arond xxxx amount of dollars. I know i am being an ass but cheap and 338 Lapua dont fit ok

Hahahahahahah.......
Cheap 338LM?
I was waiting for the punch line to that joke!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahahahahahah.......
Cheap 338LM?
I was waiting for the punch line to that joke!! </div></div>

The joke is the punchline...

I got into it with a used AR-30. Cost me about 2k for everything. Rifle, Brass, Bullets, Powder, Primer. Only been shooting it for a week or so, but I LOVE it.

I have a 300 win mag, 308 and a few 223. I mean cheap as in 4k insted of 10k for just the rifle. I understand the cost in shooting a 338. I should have asked what is the best bang for the buck when buying a 338?

I already have the dies brass and a handful of bullets for it. I bought these from a lady who's husband passed away some time ago. He had a sako but she gave that to her son. I was looking through some boxes and found them. I figure a scope will cost me around 3k. I'm just not sure what's out there as far as rifles... Do I have to spend 7k on a rifle to be happy with it or can I find one for 3k that will shoot just as well (assuming I'm a decent shot).

My wife is buying the rifle for me as a present but since she is in Iraq at the moment she can't do any of the leg work and surprise me with one. She gave me a "budget" of 4k to spend as I like.

Thats one hell of a wife and one hell of a pressent. As was allready stated. the MLR is a great place to start. There's really nothing wrong with it but I like a longer barrel for a 338 then it comes with. with that said, you could easly spend a little of that money for a new match grade barrel and install. Other options are the Armilite AR30. I've never shot one in 338 but I have shot there 50bmg version (alot differnt but not). Its a decent system and is well setup. From there you could have one built for less than your budget just depending on what you want.

A good place to start spending time is the For Sale section. 338's pop up there for decent prices.

She's great. With a few of our rifles she is a much better shot than me. When she is here we spend most of our time at the range. So far she has 9 years in the guard and three tours. We both make good money and love guns so natuarly we are gonna have a few of them. We are looking I to moving to Montana, nor sure what city yet, just to get away from the gun laws here in Cali.

What about the tactilite upper? Is it a piece or a good choice? How about snowy moutain out od mussula mt?

Well, after adding on the match barrel (why not, your looking for long range accuracy) and the longer barrel (again, long range) you up to something like $1800 and that's for a single shot rifle that you still have to provide the upper for.

As far as spending $3K on glass, you can but its not necessary. A Nightforce for instance can be had for $1500 or so and is more than suitable for the 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, after adding on the match barrel (why not, your looking for long range accuracy) and the longer barrel (again, long range) you up to something like $1800 and that's for a single shot rifle that you still have to provide the upper for.

As far as spending $3K on glass, you can but its not necessary. A Nightforce for instance can be had for $1500 or so and is more than suitable for the 338.</div></div>

Are u talking about the tactilite upper?

I would start with the for sale section. A lot of people are needing to sell because times are tough and it is a buyers market. I have not looking the firearm section in a while since I have purchased a few guns lately and need to slow down. But I would bet you could find at least 5 high end 338 for sale right now that can be delivered immediately and at under the cost of the components used to make them.

OP.
Get a .308 and learn the gun.
learn what it likes to eat.
168 A-Max can do 1650.

My vids just show basics.

Talus 1999 merlot is good!
Kinda missing on the finish, but smoooth drinking.
I'm outa Burbon!

Have you looked at a zip type gun to do it on the cheap?

I guess I'll just do some more research... Thanks anyways

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrskylinetou</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, after adding on the match barrel (why not, your looking for long range accuracy) and the longer barrel (again, long range) you up to something like $1800 and that's for a single shot rifle that you still have to provide the upper for.

As far as spending $3K on glass, you can but its not necessary. A Nightforce for instance can be had for $1500 or so and is more than suitable for the 338.</div></div>

Are u talking about the tactilite upper? </div></div>

From what I've researched, yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrskylinetou</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My wife is buying the rifle for me as a present but since she is in Iraq at the moment she can't do any of the leg work and surprise me with one. She gave me a "budget" of 4k to spend as I like. </div></div>I bought the Remington 700P, Zeiss 6-24X56 scope with the 73 reticle (far better glass than NF), scope base from Murphy, Harris Bipod; all for under $3500.

Graf's has the best price on brass under $2 each and
Lapua brand 250 grain bullets for under 50 cents

Many guys on many forums are very happy with the 700P. I have read no negative reports on the post 2008 production models. They are all made in the custom gun department. While they are not as pretty as the $4k guns, they do shoot 1/2 moa typically.

mrskylinetou, If you're interested, I have a custom APA 338 Lapua that I have been thinking about selling. Nesika action, Broughton barrel, McMillian A-5 adjustable cheek, jewell trigger--I give you more details if interested. Really sweet rifle, I just have don't have anywhere far enough to stretch it legs out plus cash is tight now, so shooting it is too expensive for now.

I would keep your eyes open and check the FS section every now and again. Most people dream of 338lm and end up selling due to the high cost. heck most shooters avoid 300wm due to the higher price than 308. you should be able to buy a pretty nice used 338lm for $2500ish and have $1500 for glass rings and bipod!

Armalite AR-30 is the cheapest way to break into 338.

Savage 110 BA is the direction I chose to take. Good trigger, its got a gen 3 Magpul stock, muzzle brake that works well, and box magazine that holds 5 rounds just like the remington. Put a Nightforce on top and your still under what some rifles cost.

As several have said, watch the for sale section. That is where I picked up mine at a substantial savings. Also bought his brass, bullets, and dies. Should be able to find something nice for around 25 to 30% off retail.
It is a fun rifle/round to shoot, but not a real high round count per month, for me anyway.

I just picked up a Remington 700p NIB for $1198 on Gunbroker.
Gonna have have fun putting this together

The AR30 in on the lower end of .338LM offerings, however, it has a severe design flaw in the stock. I would lean toward a 700 type system due to the multitude of modification options down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AR30 in on the lower end of .338LM offerings, however, it has a severe design flaw in the stock. I would lean toward a 700 type system due to the multitude of modification options down the road. </div></div>

While I don't have any problems with my AR-30, the lack of aftermarket parts available is sorta disappointing. I am looking at making an adapter to accommodate AR style stocks.

Also, there is a 700 in .338 in the Snipers Hide classifieds for $1200 right now http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1909251#Post1909251

The 700P MLR .338LM would be a great way to start in the Lapua Magnum world.

Just put a muzzle brake on her, and use a good bipod and rear bag if you can.

IF you get to the stage of rebarrel, simply add a match barrel and get the bolt trued up.

I would be more inclined to go this path over the armalite or savage, as there are many stock options available especially drop in chasis systems.

Aint nothing wrong with the 700

Post up your wishes in the wanted section here on the "Hide". It worked for me. You may be surprised at the offerings coming out of the woodwork.

Would the Rem 700 MLR fit in the Accuracy International chassis? I guess not due to the OAL of the .338LM & mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Denny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would the Rem 700 MLR fit in the Accuracy International chassis? I guess not due to the OAL of the .338LM & mags. </div></div>

AI Makes a chassis system to fit .338LM

I recently got a 700P I'm very happy with it
smile.gif

I reload & can get 2700fps with the 300SMK & H1000.
I bought it to rebarrel & rechamber it to 338 Impproved.
Over here at least it is the cheapest entry level factory 338 Lapua available, 2k cheaper than HS but not sure about the Savage ?
I like the fact that there is endless modifications able to be done to the 700 platform
cool.gif

Look for a used AR-30. That's cheaper than the Rem 700 and a whole lot bigger tougher action when you want to rebarrel. BTW, Lothar Walther makes replacement barrels for them in all calibers offered by Armalite. New they are only $200 more than the Remmy and have a much more ergonomic stock.

Well the best thing out there that i have found is the Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua magnum! Savage is really on the top of their game lately and I think this gun is the way to go, for just at $2,000 bucks you need to look it up. Although you are going to have to drop some serious cash on a scope. Hope this helps!

Skyline,
I picked up a very lightly used Surgeon Remedy right here on the "For Sale" section early this year for just a hair over $4k, which was more than $1k below the price of a new one. With the components used in the build, I really don't know how it could be any better. It is as fine a rifle as I have ever owned or seen. It is just as accurate as my tried and true GAP Crusader .308, but will go a lot further out. Not cheap to own or shoot, but it sounds like you understand that part.

Shot the 5-shot group in the pic at 1k in the grass with a bipod and my left fist as a rear rest on a very windy day last May. All 5 holes were plugged after all 5 shots were fired and no corrections for wind were made between shots. I could not see where the hits were until after - just held the reticle on the center and tried to break good shots.

1zxplyp.jpg

It's definitely a shooter.

Erik

i'm a big savage fan and have maxed out my 7mm mag and am wanting to step up myself. The 110 ba looks like the way to go to me. I'm also considering a build, a switch barrel. I'm new here and don't want to do the wrong thing, do I start a new post? Thanks for the info, great site.

Welcome to the Hide, Dorsal. Before starting any new posts, you might want to spend some time using this search engine. The Hide search is a little clumsy, so use this.
smile.gif

Thanks Dave, I'm sure I'm not the first to want to do this, I've seen some discussions on this before. Just didn't know where to start.

To the OP, Armalite just came out with an adapter for the AR30 stock. I bought one and have switched over to a Magpul PRS. I haven't taken it out to the range yet, bet the concept seems promising. The cheek rest is still too low and the LOP a little longer, but at least I have a platform that I can modify to do what I want it to do. In my opinion, this adapter puts the AR30 in the running for a great system against all others.