• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Check out a beast of a steam locomotive, a Union Pacific "Big Boy" pushing a stalled train

TexPatriot

Two Star General
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Taking a break from all the current negativity, here's showing off some American pride, a massive steam engine designed and built on drafting boards, not CADs, still getting the job done. Makes me want to be a hobo on my vacation, riding the rails for a couple of weeks. Just no Earnest Borgnine.

"Twenty-five Big Boys were built exclusively for Union Pacific Railroad, the first of which was delivered in 1941. The locomotives were 132 feet long and weighed 1.2 million pounds. Because of their great length, the frames of the Big Boys were "hinged," or articulated, to allow them to negotiate curves. They had a 4-8-8-4 wheel arrangement, which meant they had four wheels on the leading set of "pilot" wheels which guided the engine, eight drivers, another set of eight drivers, and four wheels following which supported the rear of the locomotive. The massive engines normally operated between Ogden, Utah, and Cheyenne, Wyo.

There are seven Big Boys on public display in various cities around the country. They can be found in St. Louis, Missouri; Dallas, Texas; Omaha, Nebraska; Denver, Colorado; Scranton, Pennsylvania; Green Bay, Wisconsin; and Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Big Boy No. 4014 was delivered to Union Pacific in December 1941. The locomotive was retired in December 1961, having traveled 1,031,205 miles in its 20 years in service. Union Pacific reacquired No. 4014 from the RailGiants Museum in Pomona, California, in 2013, and relocated it back to Cheyenne to begin a multi-year restoration process. It returned to service in May 2019 to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad's Completion."

That stuff is just so cool, I love the old machines.

I looked into the "big" model engines and rail roads, there are some really fantastic parks out there. Most of the "diesel" trains are battery powered, zero interest. There are some that use little diesel engines, like little Kubota or Yanmar diesel, little interested. There there are the "real" steam engines.....ok that looks cool.....I want to do that.

So I looked into it, I changed my mind.

In watching that video again it reminded me of something I read about when ships had steam engines. People would crawl around inside the smoke box and inside the tubes inside the smoke box, also inspect them for damage.

This dude is already very dirty, can you imagine being a sailor in 1919 and having to crawl inside the smoke box and clean it all out. And you know what kind of safety equipment they had back then, none.

Just amazing.

I recently moved from PA and had always meant to check these guys out (but never did, unfortunately...)

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
That is so damn cool. Just a monster. Steam engine at that, which makes it more cool.
Under 'a full head of steam', it was still faster than later diesel engines, with a top end speed around 85mph compared to a diesel's 75.

Under 'a full head of steam', it was still faster than later diesel engines, with a top end speed around 85mph compared to a diesel's 75.
Are the diesel really "topped out" at 75? My uncle worked on locomotives, he gave me a ride in one that wasn't attached to anything. I remember a sign or stenciling inside the control room of it that said "do not exceed 75 mph", figured it was a rule not to be broken rather than a limitation of the machine?

Are the diesel really "topped out" at 75? My uncle worked on locomotives, he gave me a ride in one that wasn't attached to anything. I remember a sign or stenciling inside the control room of it that said "do not exceed 75 mph", figured it was a rule not to be broken rather than a limitation of the machine?
Here's what I read. It says the Big Boy tops out at 80mph (I stand corrected) and the diesel at 75.

A steam engine's greatest power is at top end where diesels have more grunt and a uniform power band. But 'tractive effort' can only be so useful and then you get into slippage or wheel spinning.

Big Boy
Maximum speed80 mph (130 km/h)
Power output5,500 6,290 hp (4,100 4,690 kW) @ 41 mph (66 km/h) (drawbar)
Tractive effort135,375 lbf (602.18 kN)

AC600CW
Maximum speed75 mph (121 km/h) (worn wheels)
Power output6,000 hp (4,500 kW) (notice that's not just at a single optimal speed like steam)
Tractive effortStarting: 188,000 lbf (840 kN)
Continuous: 166,000 lbf (740 kN) @ 11.6 mph (18.7 km/h)

I recently moved from PA and had always meant to check these guys out (but never did, unfortunately...)

• Love
Time to fess up as the great-grandson of an MKT depot agent, I'm a member!

That is something everybody should experience at least once, maybe a few times. 37 miles of open land and scenery to cruise through, just wow. It would be even more awesome if a two seater row can be built into some of the carriages so a couple can sit together. As wholesome as it can get, but I figure the builders would not want to stress the limitations of the narrow gauge too far with an uneven weight/balance...

In watching that video again it reminded me of something I read about when ships had steam engines. People would crawl around inside the smoke box and inside the tubes inside the smoke box, also inspect them for damage.

This dude is already very dirty, can you imagine being a sailor in 1919 and having to crawl inside the smoke box and clean it all out. And you know what kind of safety equipment they had back then, none.

Just amazing.
Some of my family in Nebraska collected and refurbished old tractors and steam engines. My cousin spent part of a summer pulling the tubes and lining out of a steam engine so the state inspector could make sure it was safe to take to parades, etc. Once it passed, my cousin spent the summer crawling in and installing the tubes for the boiler. You can not just pound them in and seal them up cold. You have to allow for expansion. The expansion gap for the tubes was a finger nail thickness. My granfather made my cousin grow his fingernail out. He literally looked like some cocaine dealer / user. Once grown out he spent his summer in that belly with his finger nail putting boiler tubes back in. Hard work, but what a rare experience.

One of the regular participants in the Saturday Morning Breakfast and Talk Each Other Out Of Buying Any More Gun Stuff Meeting (a purpose at which we have failed miserably for almost 20 years) was a son of the roundhouse and turntable foreman on one of the railways back east. He reminisces about, being the bosses son, at 8 years old they would let him move the steam engines around the yard as needed.

He's better than 80 now so I pay attention to his experiences. One of the insights that really struck me was his observation that, at that age, the engines were alive. Never silent, there was always a hiss or a gurgle, click, squeak or an almost moan. Quite the memory.

Thank you,
MrSmith

When it was in Shreveport on a tour in 2021

B030069B-5FBE-49D0-9CE2-EB33D0051F96.jpeg

1FCD3DFC-8319-4AC3-9BCA-8AB2F27CF1B4.jpeg
D01482F1-E654-42DE-BB80-1BDF29904DC9.jpeg

So in the OP's second vid why are they continuously dumping sand? The thing is hauling ass at that point?

One of the regular participants in the Saturday Morning Breakfast and Talk Each Other Out Of Buying Any More Gun Stuff Meeting (a purpose at which we have failed miserably for almost 20 years) was a son of the roundhouse and turntable foreman on one of the railways back east. He reminisces about, being the bosses son, at 8 years old they would let him move the steam engines around the yard as needed.

He's better than 80 now so I pay attention to his experiences. One of the insights that really struck me was his observation that, at that age, the engines were alive. Never silent, there was always a hiss or a gurgle, click, squeak or an almost moan. Quite the memory.

Thank you,
MrSmith
I've slept next to my backhoe when doing work out of town and it's kind of neat to hear it click, sigh and relax throughout the night. It's like sleeping next to your horse.

Last edited:
So in the OP's second vid why are they continuously dumping sand? The thing is hauling ass at that point?
Whats the poing of dumping sand? Traction? I heard thats how they get traction.

The initial concept of trains was dismissed by many experts and investors just for that reason. They didn't believe steel wheels could pull massive weights on steel rails. I would have been in that group, especially when it came to snow and ice.
Thats where the sand was applied.

Reactions: Devildog
I did my apprenticeship in a sugar refinery, and back then we still had a triple expansion steam engine as a generator (Bellis and Morecambe, h.p. bore 36"), and a pair of smaller engines driving backup feedwater pump. The boiler ran continuously, so when we weren't boiling sugar the generator was spun up. I loved working on that thing.

All of the engines were taken from the HMAS Sydney (1912 Light Cruiser, broken up in 1928)

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Not totally related, but does anyone else remember popping Johns? That’s what this reminds me of. Sheer power that doesn’t care about you or your limbs. A lot like pumpjacks that run off of gas from the well sound like Johns. or what we called “powers” that moved the rods across fields that were attached to Oklahoma jacks. No OSHA, you used your common sense or lost body parts.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Not totally related, but does anyone else remember popping Johns? That’s what this reminds me of. Sheer power that doesn’t care about you or your limbs. A lot like pumpjacks that run off of gas from the well sound like Johns. or what we called “powers” that moved the rods across fields that were attached to Oklahoma jacks. No OSHA, you used your common sense or lost body parts.
John Deere single cylinder tractors. rode on them in Mississippi when I was a wee lad of 6. Cotton farmer behind the home we lived in , would give me rides. Funny sounding. Yep, If I am right, way off the topic.

Back to the subject at hand, Monroe, Louisiana had a beautiful old roundhouse that was burned to the ground by vagrants (naturally).

Not the greatest picture, but could have, should have been a Monroe monument. (along with the IC railroad station, also burned, by, take a guess).
5DC16439-185F-499B-BB7B-60EE20E6D061.jpeg

11710895-C4E3-4877-AADC-599022380F32.jpeg

Some of my family in Nebraska collected and refurbished old tractors and steam engines. My cousin spent part of a summer pulling the tubes and lining out of a steam engine so the state inspector could make sure it was safe to take to parades, etc. Once it passed, my cousin spent the summer crawling in and installing the tubes for the boiler. You can not just pound them in and seal them up cold. You have to allow for expansion. The expansion gap for the tubes was a finger nail thickness. My granfather made my cousin grow his fingernail out. He literally looked like some cocaine dealer / user. Once grown out he spent his summer in that belly with his finger nail putting boiler tubes back in. Hard work, but what a rare experience.
I enjoy stories like that. The people that know that skill are so few in number.

If you like steam stuff you will love this. You all might have seen a video here and there on the case 150, what you might not know is that is not restored, it was build from scratch. I can't even get my head around the scope of that project.

This is another good video on steam engines in general. I tend to grab little things with this, like when he is talking about the sound.

Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
Locomotives still throw sand to increase traction while building speed. They’re very green too, they’re hybrids! The all natural and organic fueled diesel motor is just a generator powering AC electric traction motors.

Reactions: Bender
Locomotives still throw sand to increase traction while building speed. They’re very green too, they’re hybrids! The all natural and organic fueled diesel motor is just a generator powering AC electric traction motors.
I use to load the Herzog rock train at Granite Canyon. They would bring it to our ballon switch and hop off, we ran it under the tipple to load. Usually had 5 or 6 power, we would cut it down to one, it would accelerate too fast otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmanss