• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Checkering

xs hedspace

hippie redneck geezer
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2005
Bearsville, NY
Foolishly offered to finish and checker a shotgun stock for a friend-----told my wife yesterday that if I said I was going to checker another stock, she should shoot me first, to spare me the misery. Every 3-4 years, I forget the headaches, crossed eyes, hand spasms, and back pains from doing this----but it sure looks nice when done! Do any of you guys do this for a living? How do you stay sane? Beer would probably help.....
Rant Over.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Just finished 4 I was working on a couple of weeks ago. Lots of beer helps. Of course it should be taken between cutting sessions, not during;-)

I can only go 2 or 3 hrs at a setting before I start making mistakes. I considered throwing my tools out after the last one!

Last edited:
I'll checker for really good customers but that's it. Too much trouble; too many headaches. Recutting a non-fancy pattern for $75.00 a panel if I am refinishing the stock OK but it will slow the refinish down a couple weeks because the checkering is a "spare time" job. My eyes bug out too quickly to sit and checker for hours at a time. Plus I can't stop thinking of the money I am losing because I am checkering a stock. As I explain to customers regularly...it's all about money. I can install 5 muzzle brakes in the time I can rechecker one stock. It's pure mathematics.

Done it once. Project turned out well, but I have NO desire to do it again.

A guy would have to have a full tilt walnut obsession to enjoy checkering.

I once thought I would make some extra money by learning to checker frontstraps on 1911s. I worked on my own guns until I could produce a good product, then decided I could work a day or two of overtime at my regular job and make more money.......and save my hands.