• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Checking a mil dot scope at 25 yards?

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I've got a variable mil dot scope and I want to determine what magnification setting gives me an accurate mil reading. The 100 yard positions at my range are fixed, meaning that if I measure it and its off by a few feet I can't really adjust. However, I do have 25 yards of open space in my backyard. Are my calculations correct that 4 mils = 3.6 inches at 25 yards?

Re: Checking a mil dot scope at 25 yards?

And for accuracy, measure that 25 yards from the front of the scope to the target. Use a tape measure, not a laser rangefinder.

Thanks. I'll definitely be using a tape measure.

Are errors in doing this test compounded at closer or longer distances?

Check Optics Faqs. There is a simple way to check your mil measurements using a 2x4.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for accuracy, measure that 25 yards from the front of the scope to the target. Use a tape measure, not a laser rangefinder.

</div></div>

Lindy, what part of the scope should I be measuring to? The front objective?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes - the objective lens.
</div></div>

Thanks!