• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Checking your rifles Torque?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I recently ran into a problem with my Remington 700 .308 where it would not hold consistent when at the range and I suspected I might need a new barrel. I checked the Torque on everything but the scope base (slipped my mind until tonight) and was ready to throw in the towel. The base, although torqued with loctite when originally installed, was loose. My question is how often to you check the torques specs on your rifle (I.E.: Every range trip, every 100-500 rounds, etc...).

Re: Checking your rifles Torque?

it wouldn't be unreasonable to check every range session(especially with big calibers).Useful since u found yours was loose. Good mounting systems hardly ever need to be checked once torqued in place, but for piece of mind they get checked. Besides, this is precision shooting, so every little bit matters.

I would say it depends on how often they are used as opposed to how many rounds. I like to break the rifle down every other month or so and give it a good cleaning.

I check my rings after every couple of trips to the range. Seekonk wrench is in my range box. After reading this I will consider removing the scope and check the scope base screws periodically as well.

I check mine at least every year before the beginning of hunting season or just before the rifle matches start

We do extensive vibration testing on all the products we design since they need to be qualified for the military. Loctite is good stuff and most of the fasteners on rings, bases and such can handle the blue stuff since they have good heads and engagement for removal.

If your rifle is on a hunt or trip where you are on rough dirt roads then it can be a problem if loctite isn't used, but for the most part I have a torque wrench in my forearm. I have seen loctite build up and dry in threaded holes so don't get carried away with it.