• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek pads

SpookM14

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Mountain West
So now that I have the rifle I have always dreamed of (FN SPR) I went up and shot it. I knew that I would need some kind of cheek riser to really get comfortable when down on the scope. The first thing that I wanted to do is send the stock back to McMillan and have them install a cheek riser, but after thinking about it, I also wanted to see about one of those strap on cheek risers. What are your guy's preferences on these two options or are there others that I have over looked? Can you use these strap on cheek pieces with adjustable cheek risers like the McMillan risers? I need some ideas so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Karsten makes a good kydex cheek piece. Stock packs with something like foam under them are good. Some companies include extra strips to add under the stock pack to reach a desired height. Yes you can use stock packs on top of either the KMW style built in risers as well as the kydex style. If weight is an issue to you then go with just a stock pack or a Karsten riser or combo of the two. It you don't mind adding around a pound then go with the built in adjustable style.

The adjustable cheek pads Im looking at are the McMillan ones that are aluminum. I just cant find myself using a kydex one because I hate the feel of them. Karsten is a local company here in Utah so I might still give them a try and use the stock pads over top of them. Does anyone have any pictures of the adjustable cheek pad with these strap on cheek pads? How bulky are they?

The adjustable cheek pads Im looking at are the McMillan ones that are aluminum. I just cant find myself using a kydex one because I hate the feel of them. Karsten is a local company here in Utah so I might still give them a try and use the stock pads over top of them. Does anyone have any pictures of the adjustable cheek pad with these strap on cheek pads? How bulky are they?

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Triad Tactical*::*All Triad Stock Packs™*::*Triad Stock Pack™

Click on the view detailed pictures link. I would think that the decision between a riser and a stock pack and a riser would be based on personal preference, ring height and budget.

So now that I have the rifle I have always dreamed of (FN SPR) I went up and shot it. I knew that I would need some kind of cheek riser to really get comfortable when down on the scope. The first thing that I wanted to do is send the stock back to McMillan and have them install a cheek riser, but after thinking about it, I also wanted to see about one of those strap on cheek risers. What are your guy's preferences on these two options or are there others that I have over looked? Can you use these strap on cheek pieces with adjustable cheek risers like the McMillan risers? I need some ideas so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

How much elevation do you need?? I would hate for you to have to add a hard cheek pad, if all you need less than say 1" from a Stock Pack™.

I try to get the scope as low as possible so the rings I use are Low with 50mm objective. The FN i need probably 3/4 of an inch but the Remington is probably around 1 to 1.25 inches. So I think that I will probably go with the the Mcmillan cheek piece on the FN but go with the strap on cheek piece for the Remington.

Hit up Kyle at XLR Industries, he's a member here (sponsor??). He has a really nice aluminum adjustable cheek piece with a thin cushin layer over it so it's not cold/hot. I have 4 of them and for less than $30 (at the time) they are the best buy.

Third option down here: XLR Industries | options

+1 on the Triad Tactical, works great for me. I have it riding on a Rem 700 AAC-SD residing in a Bell and Carlson M40.

You may want to check out Bradley cheek rests as well. Have several of them on my rifles and very pleased with how they work.

Old School: Closed-cell foam and olive colored rigger tape. Drive on.

If it comes to this I will do just that.

I think that I will probably order a strap on cheek piece first and if I dont like it ill move it to the remington. Does anyone know of a cheek piece that comes in A Tacs AU?

I just sent Stockdoc a PM so im getting the ball rolling. I think I will go with a Triad Tactical for my remington because I like the idea of having extra storage space for tools and ammo. I guess these two bolt rifle projects are bigger than I imagined when I started out on them. Oh well there are worse things to waste my money on I guess.

So I contacted stockdoc on here and he quoted me 200 for everything so ill be sending him my work instead of McMillan. Ill post pics when it's all completed