• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Piece Adjustments

ScottVA

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2012
From a proper technique standpoint, once the cheek piece positioning has been set, should it be readjusted with changes in bipod height or leg position configuration or remain in the same location? The question pertains to prone shooting with adjustable bipod. Thank you.

My opinion is to set the cheek rest height to a height that is comfortable in various shooting positions with the default position being prone with the bipod legs extended one notch and a rear bag. The goal for me is to not have to dink with the cheek height constantly and potentially make things worse for myself. I can make small adjustments for comfort with small head adjustments and compensate not being in the ideal position by making sure my parallax is set properly. I would not recommend adjusting the cheek height every time you make a change in bipod height or leg position unless it was some sort of extreme circumstance.

Yea, at times some adjustments may be beneficial. Just as the butt pad height isn’t the same if you can rapidly adjust.

For the most part I set up rifle for the use it will see the most, then deal with the small differences. For example I set up prs rig off a barricade and then deal with the small differences prone as it’s pretty easy to fudge prone.

I’ve always found it interesting when people set up positional rifles in prone and then spend 80% off the time off their belly.

Reactions: ScottVA
Yea, at times some adjustments may be beneficial. Just as the butt pad height isn’t the same if you can rapidly adjust.

For the most part I set up rifle for the use it will see the most, then deal with the small differences. For example I set up prs rig off a barricade and then deal with the small differences prone as it’s pretty easy to fudge prone.

I’ve always found it interesting when people set up positional rifles in prone and then spend 80% off the time off their belly.
I actually do this, set it prone. The reason is that it’s much easier to adjust my head forward when standing than rearward when it prone, and I can hold a forward adjustment much longer comfortably than turtling backwards.

OP, I don’t notice a riser height change in different positions, but maybe I just have a more generous exit pupil (PST G2 5-25x), so it’s a set and forget for me.

I set it lower and index on my chin. Slide your chin down until the scope is clear edge to edge. Allows flexible in a many positions.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses. Good stuff