• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Riser for a fixed stock

Kamkaze

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2013
Texas
the M110 is my duty rifle I need a cheek riser for it that won't interfere with the charging handle. I was told my solution of padding and tape was unacceptable as well as switching out buttstocks. With that said anyone have any luck with cheek risers for a A2 style stock more specifically the the M110 stock? Thanks in advance.

For those not familiar

m110.png

I saw this adapter/riser for the sopmod stocks, they way it mounts to the sopmods made me think that it might just work for your stock. Although you'd probably have to call battleline industries and ask them if it is possible.

Attachments

• 8887109521_6e18a2e718_m.jpg
    8887109521_6e18a2e718_m.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 97
If your CO says "NO" to the mousepad/tape solution, as well as a simple stock swap to something akin to the Magpul PRS, then WTF precisely is he/she willing to permit?

I only ask because no matter what you do, it'll be "modifying" the rifle to one extent or another. If you really need more comb height to get setup on the rifle properly, then the best course of action is to lower the scope (whether by a new mount or rings) to achieve the proper cheekweld for you.

If that's a no-go, then the options are extremely limited and may ultimately need to be modified themselves to work properly. Those include "clamp-on" type cheek pieces (adjustable and otherwise) like the old "Delta" style cheek risers, those modified Deltas like the Masen design and those from B&C like their CVT offering which may or may not work on the M110 stock because of its LOP adjustment system. See the following links for more info:

John Masen Cheek Rest AR-15 A2 Buttstock Synthetic Black (may or may not give enough clearance for the longer, AR-10 CH to fully retract rearward)

Adjustable Cheek Piece for AR (may or may not work with the M110 LOP adjustment system)

Aside from those options, you have a variety of different strap-on options like the stock pack that cal50 mentioned. They come in any number of different configurations, styles, etc., but again...depending on how they mount up/attach and how far back you have get them mounted to clear the CH, you may or may not actually achieve better positioning on the rifle.

One last thought...and again...its going to involve drilling holes in/modding your M110 stock...is to source a Karsten style, two-bolt type kydex cheek riser assembly and installing that which will give you all the adjustability you could want, but may also need modded to permit the CH to clear/operate freely.

Would a Bradley cheek rest work? It is easily removed and non-permanent.

Possibly, but the Bradley may run into the same issues as the others I mentioned above with regard to the LOP adjustments/mount-up on the M110 stock, as well as possible interference with the CH depending on how far back you can get it mounted, etc.

The other "possible" solution that I failed to mention above...Kick-eez or other type products that are a peel-n-stick type adhesive backed synthetic product available in a variety of thicknesses (can be "stacked" if you need more than the thickness offered) that achieve the same mousepad/100mph tape effect in a cleaner, "nicer-looking" package. Same deal though with trimming it/installing it so its out of the way of your CH's operation but yet still an effective riser for you. See here:

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/cheek-eez.php

Last edited:
Blackhawk makes a nice strap on style cheek riser. It's soft and works perfect on my Remington 700 5R it's inexpensive too

I saw this adapter/riser for the sopmod stocks, they way it mounts to the sopmods made me think that it might just work for your stock. Although you'd probably have to call battleline industries and ask them if it is possible.

This is a great idea I will contact them and see what they think, I know they have them for the magpul versions too.

If your CO says "NO" to the mousepad/tape solution, as well as a simple stock swap to something akin to the Magpul PRS, then WTF precisely is he/she willing to permit?

I only ask because no matter what you do, it'll be "modifying" the rifle to one extent or another. If you really need more comb height to get setup on the rifle properly, then the best course of action is to lower the scope (whether by a new mount or rings) to achieve the proper cheekweld for you.

If that's a no-go, then the options are extremely limited and may ultimately need to be modified themselves to work properly. Those include "clamp-on" type cheek pieces (adjustable and otherwise) like the old "Delta" style cheek risers, those modified Deltas like the Masen design and those from B&C like their CVT offering which may or may not work on the M110 stock because of its LOP adjustment system. See the following links for more info:

John Masen Cheek Rest AR-15 A2 Buttstock Synthetic Black (may or may not give enough clearance for the longer, AR-10 CH to fully retract rearward)

Adjustable Cheek Piece for AR (may or may not work with the M110 LOP adjustment system)

Aside from those options, you have a variety of different strap-on options like the stock pack that cal50 mentioned. They come in any number of different configurations, styles, etc., but again...depending on how they mount up/attach and how far back you have get them mounted to clear the CH, you may or may not actually achieve better positioning on the rifle.

One last thought...and again...its going to involve drilling holes in/modding your M110 stock...is to source a Karsten style, two-bolt type kydex cheek riser assembly and installing that which will give you all the adjustability you could want, but may also need modded to permit the CH to clear/operate freely.

That the exact thing I said to him too. They said I can do no permanant mods to it and that the tape would damage the finish when taken off (gotta love gov't BS) I am going to try one of the sleeves or strap on risers first but I am concern with CH clearance, if that doesn't work I am going to contact Battlelink.

Possibly, but the Bradley may run into the same issues as the others I mentioned above with regard to the LOP adjustments/mount-up on the M110 stock, as well as possible interference with the CH depending on how far back you can get it mounted, etc.

The other "possible" solution that I failed to mention above...Kick-eez or other type products that are a peel-n-stick type adhesive backed synthetic product available in a variety of thicknesses (can be "stacked" if you need more than the thickness offered) that achieve the same mousepad/100mph tape effect in a cleaner, "nicer-looking" package. Same deal though with trimming it/installing it so its out of the way of your CH's operation but yet still an effective riser for you. See here:

Recoil Shock Pad - Rifle Recoil Cheek Pad | Kickeez Products

Thanks for that link as well I like the idea.

That the exact thing I said to him too. They said I can do no permanant mods to it and that the tape would damage the finish when taken off (gotta love gov't BS)...

Typical BS indeed! I had a feeling that was how this one was shaking out, but there's more than one way to skin a cat thankfully. Hopefully at least one of the other fixes above will get you where you need to be.

Good luck and God speed, brother!

All the strap on cheek risers mentioned above are for bolt guns, except for the ones ORD linked, and the Blackhawk one shown on an A2 stock with AR15 shorter travel charge handle. There is significant charge handle clearance consideration with the M110, and the only real solutions are tape and pad, PRS, CAA Sniper Stock, etc.

SOCOM allows use of the PRS on their rifles, and they are one of the organizations that has driven its development since the early 1990's. I would contact someone in Ranger Regiment in a Sniper Section and ask for the letters they may have used for Commander's authorization of use of the FDE Magpul PRS, which is also a much stronger stock than the issued M110 stock.

Your armorer could easily perform the swap with a screwdriver, if they don't trust you to do it. How I miss the big green pickle machine...

All the strap on cheek risers mentioned above are for bolt guns, except for the ones ORD linked, and the Blackhawk one shown on an A2 stock with AR15 shorter travel charge handle. There is significant charge handle clearance consideration with the M110, and the only real solutions are tape and pad, PRS, CAA Sniper Stock, etc.

SOCOM allows use of the PRS on their rifles, and they are one of the organizations that has driven its development since the early 1990's. I would contact someone in Ranger Regiment in a Sniper Section and ask for the letters they may have used for Commander's authorization of use of the FDE Magpul PRS, which is also a much stronger stock than the issued M110 stock.

Your armorer could easily perform the swap with a screwdriver, if they don't trust you to do it. How I miss the big green pickle machine...

Unfortunately I am not dealing with the Military, it is with a federal agency and everyone making decisions has no idea what they are doing or understand anything I am saying. If i was allowed to swap a PRS I would do it in a second. I have already spoke with Bradley and Battleline, Bradley is currently prototyping a riser with the CH in mind and I am attempting to get an extra LOP piece from a KAC stock to send to battleline to see if they can make something work. Thanks for the input.

I pulled a Beartooth comb raiser onto an A-2 stock. Cut a small slit near the toe and R & R'd the rear sling swivel through the slit. Holds the comb raiser in place pretty well. I had placed the stackable pads under it so that the CH just clears across the top of it. Not perfect, but a good fix for me that didn't modify the rifle in any way. Very comfortable and helped make a decent cheekweld. I think it was about $35.

Tom

image.jpgI use water pipe insulation, the black or gray foam stuff, and black sports tape. The tape sticks good to itself but not to my stock and leaves no sticky residue on the stock.image.jpg

Last edited:
Two things:

Your CO is a twat.

Tactical pants knee pad and some Gorilla Tape. Just did it to an ARFX stock. Cost? About $0.30.

Good Luck.