• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek riser for UBR

nfoley

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Anyone know of a cheek riser that works for the magpul UBR stock? Had to add a badger 22 MOA riser to the rail to be able to dial in longer ranges, and now my cheek weld is off.

Re: Cheek riser for UBR

I don't know of a cheek riser that will work on the UBR and still allow operation of the CH, but if the stock is mounted on something other than an AR, then the CTR cheek risers will work on the UBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the CTR mount on the stock? </div></div>

They snap on to the slots on the CTR that are molded into the stock (on the UBR, they snap in place as well). They were originally designed for using the Magpul collapsible stocks on M1A/M14 rifles that accept AR furniture and where there is no issue with needing to charge the rifle with the typical AR charging handle (they have also been adapted for use on rifles like the XCR below). Because of how high the optics generally sit on the M1A, combined with the low comb achieved by most of the AR type stocks on that platform, the cheek riser was necessary.

Here is what one looks like installed (obviously not on an M1A, but an XCR):

Neat-Cammo-31Jul08.jpg

* - Credit to Robinson Arms for the Photo!

If a CTR riser will work on a UBR, take a look at this. It will still allow the charging handle to work.

RISR

The RISR will NOT work without substantial modification of either the stock and/or the mounting hardware (and then it might not work). While the Magpul factory CTR cheek riswers are a simple "snap on" design...the RISR has a much different mounting system designed specifically for the CTR's internals.

Think I will try the CTR riser and see how much of a pain it is to take on and off. Wish I had a side charger.

I was under the impression that both the ubr and ctr had the same slots on the side, which would allow the RISR to fit the ubr as well. I've been over 6700 miles away from my guns for the last few months so I cant verify.

Also, the cheek piece on a ubr does not move back or fowards, it is in a fixed position. So extending it all the way out will not work.

The UBR has a FIXED entry buffer tube. To adjust the stock back and forth, the only thing that moves is the lower portion of the stock while the upper portion attached to the entry buffer tube remains fixed. This is one of the big advantages of the UBR in that it allows the shooter a fixed, consistent cheek weld unlike other collapsible stocks where you may be half-on/half-off the stock with the remainder of your face on the buffer tube which can cause a variety of problems. If you install a CTR cheek riser on a UBR, it will have to be snapped on and off to operate the charging handle which is just a ridiculous thing to have to do IMO!! Anything that interferes in such a substantial way with the basic operation of the rifle is a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, but again...you may be in a vastly different position.

Back to the Larue RISR...as I have said times before...IT WILL NOT work without substantial modification to either the stock or how you mount it to the stock. Like I said before, the RISR isn't like the CTR cheek risers which just snap into place and then off again. It is semi-permanently screwed onto the stock/mounting rails. The RISR has..aw hell...here is a vid that will explain the mounting of the RISR to a CTR and for anyone who owns a UBR, you'll see why this won't work:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAxoK_k4zE4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAxoK_k4zE4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks, that video clears it up. I didn't realize the RISR used a nut plate behind the CTR to hold the screws. I thought the RISR itself had threads and the screws just gripped into the body of the CTR (been years since I had a CTR, forgot they had holes on the side whereas the UBR does not).

I agree with you ORD about it being ridiculous to have to take a riser on and off to charge, but I need something. Maybe I will sell the UBR and get the PRS which should solve the problem. Love the UBR though.

Maybe you could replace your scope mount instead of adding a rail riser and a cheek riser? LaRue makes a 10 MOA QD mount (SPR-S), the AADMOUNT is 20 MOA, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Only problem is the scope is an IOR 35mm tube. Pretty sure they don't make one for that fat tube.

Yep, just checked - the AADMOUNT come in 30mm and 34mm only.
Wish I didn't like the scope so much. And to be honest the cheek weld is really not that bad - another option is to just deal with it.

One quick (maybe stupid) question - with the larue 10MOA can you simply add 10 MOA to what your elevation? In other words, if I can only get 17 MOA up with my 0 MOA mount, should I be able to then get 27 MOA with the Larue?

Okay, got the badger ordnance riser (22MOA). Perfect cheek weld with the LOW rings. Problem solved. And valdada changed the rings out for free. Great CS. Here is a pic of the riser with scope:
pofelk005-1.jpg

I was curious about the B.O. riser. I'm going to send you a PM. Anyone else who is using one of these, please send me a PM so I can find out more about it.

how about some kind of a pad lightly velcroed to the comb so the CH will just pull it away