• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Risers - Best One?

EastCOYotes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Idalia Colorado
My savage rifle that I’m using as my learning rifle getting into long range doesn’t have an adjustable cheek riser on the factory HS Precision stock and its beginning to get real annoying. I’m thinking about putting one of the Triad Tactical stock pack risers or maybe a Kydex riser from Amazon on it. What is everyone’s recommendations?

As a little background I’m trying to upgrade this gun to be a good starter competition gun while being budget minded. I have a Bighorn action and McMillan stock stock on the way for a nicer build so I don’t want to get too carried away throwing money into the Savage. The Savage shoots awesome and I think if I can upgrade the ergonomics a little I won’t have any gripes.

I struggled with a cheek rest on one of my rifles because I needed a considerable amount of height added and in the quest to find what worked I tried several stock packs and check rests. What I ended up with was quite comical as it was stuff I had laying around the whole time. I took some paper towel rolls and folded them up and then taped them together to build the height I needed, then I took some hockey tape (the fabric kind used for taping up sticks) and then wrapped the stock like a hockey stick with the riser in place. This was not only perfect because I could just cut it off if I needed to (I need to do this to run a cleaning rod) but it was infinitely adjustable in firmness and height. Really works well for me. Its not the best looking but honestly its not as bad as I would have thought it would be. Ill pull the rifle out of the safe tomorrow some time and take a picture if you like.

I struggled with a cheek rest on one of my rifles because I needed a considerable amount of height added and in the quest to find what worked I tried several stock packs and check rests. What I ended up with was quite comical as it was stuff I had laying around the whole time. I took some paper towel rolls and folded them up and then taped them together to build the height I needed, then I took some hockey tape (the fabric kind used for taping up sticks) and then wrapped the stock like a hockey stick with the riser in place. This was not only perfect because I could just cut it off if I needed to (I need to do this to run a cleaning rod) but it was infinitely adjustable in firmness and height. Really works well for me. Its not the best looking but honestly its not as bad as I would have thought it would be. Ill pull the rifle out of the safe tomorrow some time and take a picture if you like.

Yeah now I’m at least curious. I’ve considered doing something like that before but never really tried. My thinking was that some of the bags and adjustable kits are fairly cheap and maybe worth a shot

Here you go. Currently in the process of putting a new optic on this one (had a direct mount before that was for a 30mm tube) so it looks a little funny with no scope base and scope but you get the idea.

Reactions: EastCOYotes
Or, you can be like me and do search for a kydex cheek riser on Ebay or similar, grab hold of your manhood, and drill a couple 1/4" holes in your Manners T4 MCS :)

IMG_20190502_1807262.jpg
IMG_20190502_1807498.jpg

I need to get some neoprene to put on top of that.

70 rounds of 7mm RemMag in one day left my cheek looking half chipmunk. ????

Last edited:
Reactions: sofdefuzer
I like a stock pack, hard to beat a Triad. To me it's very comfortable, soft, warm in the winter and good grip / texture

I've had the kydex DIY risers and a Triad. The Triad wins hands down for overall comfort and can be adjusted just as well in my opinion, even if it takes a few more minutes to get right.

The pack comes in handy for dope cards, small oil bottle, whatever.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna give the Triad stock pack a try. Worst case scenario if I don't like it I'll just put it on one of my hunting rifles and try something different on the Savage.

Wiebad mini stock pad is nice

Mini Stock Pad
They are but OP said he's putting it on a HS stock that isn't adjustable. The mini stock pads are to throw on something that is already adjustable since these can't be raised/lowered (as intended) as far as I know. I'm sure you could mod them to work with some foam underneath if you were really set on going with one of these though.

Reactions: EastCOYotes
They are but OP said he's putting it on a HS stock that isn't adjustable. The mini stock pads are to throw on something that is already adjustable since these can't be raised/lowered (as intended) as far as I know. I'm sure you could mod them to work with some foam underneath if you were really set on going with one of these though.

Exactly. The Wiebad ones look nice but I don’t think they’ll wrap around my entire stock, more meant to add padding to a riser I think.

Reactions: IowaGeologist
I have used it in what I would consider light rain. It did not make a noticable difference. But I have never been out in a steady moderate to heavy rain with it so I cant really say in that aspect.

Reactions: JC0352
Give @jducos a shout.
If your going to do it do it right the first time and get a real adjustable cheek rest with KMW loggerhead hardware.

Hell yes! I was fortunate enough to meet Terry at some local matches, and at the risk of sounding like a kiss-ass, I had to tell him how much I appreciated the ingenuity of his hardware. It’s been around awhile, but I’m new to having decent equipment, lol.

Reactions: XLR308
Exactly. The Wiebad ones look nice but I don’t think they’ll wrap around my entire stock, more meant to add padding to a riser I think.

They won't....they are for stocks with a cheek pad to improve comfort. I have one on my AT and it is really nice. Make sure you have some downward adjustment though as it is thick so the cheek riser will need to come down from its present position.

1507348863793-1642260755.jpeg

Found Bradley's to work pretty well. If the Triad doesn't do you I've got the same model as in the attached pic sitting in my closet collecting dust.