• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Weld / Riser On Savage MKII FVT

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Well it may not be pertty, but it ought to work. It feels right.

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

For years I've shot this rifle without the proper cheek weld, but after getting educated on a youtube video about building up your cheek rest to where it needs to be in relationship to ones eye and their scope alignment to their eye, I'm ready for a field test come Thursday morning. If I did everything right, this rifle should now be comfortable to shoot from the prone position, as well as all shooting positions. Eye alignment does seem right to me and much more centralized.

Eventually I'll buy a cheek riser for this rifle, but this build up of dense foam and cut PVC pipe wrapped with duct tape and electrical tape will do for my testing, and get me by for now. It's secure to the stock, that's for sure.

Anyone else go this route before buying a cheek riser?

Re: Cheek Weld / Riser On Savage MKII FVT

Why does Savage do this, makes no sense as gun must have a scope as barrel has no sights. I switched my stock to a Boyds and solved the problem that way.

Actually this rifle did come with an aperture sight setup, but I'm sure the MKII FV does not, and they are the same rifle and stock.

I'm seriously considering a Boyds stock in the future, but for now I don't want to shell out the money in this weak economy. Who knows, we may not be working tomorrow???

Thanks for the tip on the Triad Stock Pack, DF.

I never thought about my old mouse pads, which I still have laying around. I need to do this same setup (similar) to my Marlin 925. Think I'll use an old mouse pad. Another good tip!
smile.gif

i went this way, under 50.00, has a ton of adjustability and more palatable in the looks dept:

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - basic stock modifications and cheek piece

it can be removed and put on another rail equipped rifle, and hash marks on the side keep any adjustments for the switch locked in for either rifle, that is if adjustment is needed.

but there's nothing wrong with mousepads and ducttape either.

dip makes a nice kydex cheekpiece for even less $, all you need are two holes in the stock.

I remember you doing that TP, and that's a nice set up for sure. You know, I also wondered about using Bondo, (or Bondex - not sure I'm calling this stuff by the right name) it's a fiberglass auto repair kit, but I've never worked with it before. I'm still thinking about that idea...
smile.gif

After sleeping on the ideas, I'm leaning pretty heavy towards the Triad Stock Pack. I do like the features it offers, and the pack itself for carrying small items like allen wrenches and other little items that may be needed quickly. It also gives a pleasing look while covering up my home made build up cheek riser. I just like the idea of the Triad Stock Pack.

Was watching one of the NSSF videos with Ryan Cleckner and he had a neat mod for cheek weld. Basically took a block of wood with 2 dowel rods that fit into 2 holes in the top of his stock. Sanded down the block of wood until he had the cheek weld he wanted under a basic stock pack. Made it easy to remove/return to the right position when time to remove the bolt. Cheap mod too.

I wound up switching my MKIIFV over to a Boyd's Tacticool stock and still had to use a stock pack with a layer of foam underneath.

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE&feature=plcp

Thanks,

Charles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> after getting educated on a youtube video </div></div>

Charlie, this is the exact video I was referring to in my opening post. Thanks for posting the link to it, as I did not save it to my favorites last time, but I did now!
smile.gif

By the way, I'll edit this post shortly with a few pictures of my test run targets, before and after the modification I made to my rifle.

Ok, the target on the left is <span style="text-decoration: underline">before</span> the new modification on the rifle pictured above in my opening post, while the target on the right is what I shot this morning - with the rifle above and the new ( <span style="text-decoration: underline">present</span>) modification.

No shots were thrown out of the 9 Ring on todays target. To me, this is the first step in the right direction, now I need to get comfortable with the modification through more shooting to tighten up the group. I'm pleased with the early results. It should only get better.

001-2.jpg

Ok, I chucked the idea of the foam, pvc, and tape, as I added about 5/16 to 7/16 inches more build up, and guess what,,, it looked good, cheek weld felt good, good sight picture just like we like when looking through our scope, but,,, I couldn't get my bolt out to clean!

So... I just removed everything and re'installed the peep sight set up that this rifle came with. I then went to the range this morning and zeroed it for 200 yards (prone) with the stock aperture sight setup, and I am pleased as pleased can be with the results.

I'll do a new post with some pictures tomorrow of this morning's sight in (working my way out from 25 yards to 200 yards)... I'd do it today but I have my grandson here right now - so family first.
smile.gif