• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Weld While Prone (Problems...)

JoeBUtah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Yesterday I was out shooting and when I took my .308 Rem 700 R5 Milspec (factory stock) to task, I had a horrible time getting a any kind of cheek weld in the prone position. I couldn't get proper eye relief for my scope and couldn't hit a 400 yard target to save my a**. My shooting partner had his portable bench and while it's too short to use with a bipod, I was able to at least get some confidence back with the gun supported with a front bag.

I have a Harris 6-9" bipod; my scope is a fixed 10x SWFA HD. I'm using a Str8 Laced rear bag. Off a range-bench I get a good cheek weld and my longest hit to date is 800 yds.

If I 'rear-bagged' the stock up to my cheek, I would lose the target as the barrel dove downward. I tried varying the bipod adjustment but that didn't seem to help at all.

Can anyone please offer some advice to a fledgling long distance shooter? I'm all ears!

Re: Cheek Weld While Prone (Problems...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBUtah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterday I was out shooting and when I took my .308 Rem 700 R5 Milspec (factory stock) to task, I had a horrible time getting a any kind of cheek weld in the prone position. I couldn't get proper eye relief for my scope and couldn't hit a 400 yard target to save my a**. My shooting partner had his portable bench and while it's too short to use with a bipod, I was able to at least get some confidence back with the gun supported with a front bag.

I have a Harris 6-9" bipod; my scope is a fixed 10x SWFA HD. I'm using a Str8 Laced rear bag. Off a range-bench I get a good cheek weld and my longest hit to date is 800 yds.

If I 'rear-bagged' the stock up to my cheek, I would lose the target as the barrel dove downward. I tried varying the bipod adjustment but that didn't seem to help at all.

Can anyone please offer some advice to a fledgling long distance shooter? I'm all ears! </div></div>

You appear to have gone about building the position correctly, the barrel will point down until you either adjust the bipod height or, with non firing hand on the forend, allow non firing arm from elbow to hand to establish rifle's height. With bone supported position you may need to stretch to complete the position.

What I suspect is your bipod does not have enough adjustment range to use from prone position.