• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Weld with Collapsible stocks

FWE

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
New York
I know that generally speaking, with collapsible stocks cheek welds are going to suffer. I had some thoughts about making my own stock for a Remington 700 only to look around here and find out that XLR makes almost the exact same thing I had in my head.
Sniperhide XLR Thread

My Question is, which cheek rest option is preferred?

Having the fixed portion of the stock and cheek weld close to the reciever which Magpul does with the UBR
UBR_Smalls.jpg

Or having the cheek weld portion of the stock close to the buttplate similiar to the Cheytac stock below of the XLR stock in the link.
CT%20085.jpg

Maybe I am comparing apples to oranges but it seems like you would have two totally different positions with the two stocks.

Re: Cheek Weld with Collapsible stocks

It depends how big you are.

Im tall, and have a long upper body, so my neck tends to crane forward a bit. The magpul UBR stock is comfy.

One thing to put into consideration is that with a UBR style cheek weld, your face will be in the way when you cycle the bolt. You'd have to move your face out of the way everytime you cycle the bolt, which would get pretty annoying pretty quick.

Reason why traditional bolt rifles have cheek welds pretty far back.

All these hours trying to come up with different ideas and I never really though about cycling the bolt. I feel kind of silly. Thats what I get for playing around with the AR too much.

oh crap, i thought this thread was in the semi auto section for a second.