• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheekpiece for m40a1

rogers0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Camp Lejeune and elsewhere
Hey guys in my review of my GAP m40a1 I stated that I made my own cheek piece due to the low comb of the a1 stock. This is very easy to do, and its cheap. All you need is some duct tape and a military issue sleeping mat. For the mat, you can find them on ebay and elsewhere on the internet...check out this link took me a minute to find.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPING-ROLL-SLEEPIN...=item3358e28267

Ok so once you have your mat, just cut 3 or 4 pieces off of it. Make each piece about 2 inches long. For the width, just make it as wide as the part of the stock where your cheek will rest. You dont want any extra hanging off the side because it just gives you something else the stock can snag on. Ok so now youve got your pieces cut. Here is a picture of the mat

photo22.jpg

Pull the bolt to the rear, and give yourself another half inch or so, because if you build the cheek piece too close to the front, you will be unable to extract the bolt.

photo21.jpg

Take your 1st strip of mat and tape it to the stock, where you will be resting your cheek. You want to pull down very tightly on the tape so that the mat is not going to have any play at all when you place your cheek on it. Cover the entire surface of the mat with tape that wraps all the way around. This waterproofs the cheek piece, as water seeping in may cause the mat to warp a little bit. Once your first piece of mat is taped down, just do the rest for as many other pieces of mat required to fit your cheek. If you plan on using an Eagle Cheek piece or similar, make sure you take that into account too.

The last thing you want to do is wrap tape around the front and back of the iso mat if there are any exposed pieces. As stated before, this will keep water from getting in.

This should be known on here, but the point is that you want to be able to rest your cheek comfortably on your cheek piece and with absolutely no scope shadow. Her is a picture of the finished product

photo23.jpg

And finally, here is a picture with it topped off with an Eagle cheek piece

photo20.jpg

Honestly, we still make these for our m40a3s. We all take the adjustable cheek pieces that come with the stock and keep them in the pelican cases. You never know if the screws can come lose, and having your cheek piece slip on you when you are about to take a shot on someone would be devastating. So this is a good method to use, and will definitely help you guys out.

This isnt a very pretty solution. Like I said though, my guns are not safe queens and are meant for field use, not for show. Bottom line is that this technique works.

Any questions, just let me know.

Re: Cheekpiece for m40a1

The only possible issue I see is, the cleaning rod might not line up with the bore guide from the rear of the action.

how about using some of that McNett camo form tape instead of the duct tape ?

Used a similar method, but cut the kydex sleeping bag pieces up to fit under the stock pack, used velcro to attach them to the underneath of the pack and its simply on and off. In the past I have also used cut lenghts from a bicycle tube and layered them to get the correct height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A slice of mouse pad works, too. </div></div>

That's what I have used for the past decade, but lately I haven't found any of the thicker mouse pads to make another one for some other rifle.

Or one could always have Red Tac Gear modify an Eagle stock pouch and add the required padding. That's what I did and it works great.

Pat

How does the tape hold up in the heat? Does the glue sweat? Seems to me it may get extra sticky?

Still good idea...