• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheekweld without the punch in the face?

TrooperBrian

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Idaho, USA
I was just itching to try out my new Bell/Carlson A5 today, but after about 20 rounds and getting a good cheek weld, it felt like someone ran up and punched me in the face.

Is there a way around this, or am I just doing it wrong?

Re: Cheekweld without the punch in the face?

Sounds like it doesn't fit quite right. To be of more help, it would be nice to see a pic of your mug on the cheek piece.

I have a B&C "A5" on my 338 edge and LOVE it. Repeatable positioning and very comfortable to shoot.

either you are posistioned wrong or have never really been punched in the face! only way i could see it hurting is if you are not tight in the shoulder, other than that your stock really shouldnt move that much

An Eagle or Blackhawk stock pack can never hurt the issue either. Like LoneWolfUSMC said though, you might want to check your shooting position.

Trooper,

What you getting is called "face slap". It is common to shotgunning, less common in rifle shooting. It is caused by the pitch on the butt-stock being wrong (too much negative pitch)for your body type, when your shoulder is square on the stock: like when shooting offhand or from the bench. Since the rifle butt is not square on your shoulder, when you fire it, it slips up just a little, and your taking recoil on your cheek bone.

So if your shooting technique is ok, (have somebody watch you shoot) then this might be the product you need:

Linky: Pitch spacers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trooper,

What you getting is called "face slap". It is common to shotgunning, less common in rifle shooting. It is caused by the pitch on the butt-stock being wrong (too much negative pitch)for your body type, when your shoulder is square on the stock: like when shooting offhand or from the bench. Since the rifle butt is not square on your shoulder, when you fire it, it slips up just a little, and your taking recoil on your cheek bone.

So if your shooting technique is ok, (have somebody watch you shoot) then this might be the product you need:

Linky: Pitch spacers </div></div>

I used to have this problem with my Benelli M2 while shooting skeet until I corrected the pitch/drop/whatever it's called.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trooper,

Linky: Pitch spacers </div></div>

+1 I have the same problem with my Caesar Guerini O/U. Every time I take it skeet shooting I come back looking like I got in a fight.

Hows this?

Send_It_VI_by_GlockGuy.jpg

These pitch spacers would work with the A5?

Naturally a SEAL buddy told me to "put a tampon on it".

Pitch spacers and an adj butt (no comments) made my O/U a lot easier to shoot. The spacers are oversized so you can grind them to fit your stock. I had a Win pump that made it through ONE round of trap before I sold it due to beating the snot out of me.

I'll probably go ahead and get just some neoprene pad and glue it on there, and try repositioning the stock a bit and see if it helps.

Don't forget, you can raise and lower the pad on that stock to help with fit. Just remove the two allen screws holding the pad on, then loosen the slider and position to comfort, tighten it all up, put the pad back on and you're back in business.

Take a short video from the side of you actually shooting. Post that and you'll get a much better diagnosis.