• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chen SI Mag/Mainspring Issue

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
Ive installed several of the Stan Chen One Piece Mainspring/Magwells but ran into an issue Ive not seen before. I was installing it on a Les baer Concept V but the mainspring wont seat all the way into the frame. I only get about 1/3 hole over lap. Anyone else ever seen this?

Yes unfortunately this is common with les baers. A lot of baers aren’t to the actual spec of let’s say a standard 1911 (Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson)

I’ve seen some luck on a few models where a Stan Chen or S&A magwell will line up but these are the exception and not the rule.

Odds are your gun had the mainspring pin hole on both the frame and mainspring housing drilled for each other during the build process.

Another possible issue is the mainspring channel can be too shallow on baers causing insufficient space between the mainspring housing and the sear spring itself. Thus not letting your magwell go up high enough to fit squarely with the bottom of the frame and the holes not lining up.

Custom smiths run into this issue a lot with baers used as base guns for full custom builds or mods.

ETA: spelling and grammar

A few minutes with some 1000 grit got it to slide up but alas the pin holes do not align. Reallt frustrating

Screenshot_20211225-134612_Gallery.jpg