• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chesty Pullers Birthday

I did a lot of pushups for Chesty when I was in boot camp.......Happy Birthday.........

Most powerful NCO the USMC ever had. His Squad just kept getting bigger and bigger and those fancy clusters stars and birds never really matched the stripes he once wore.

Back when I was living in NJ in the early nineties, one of my pastimes was my weekly visit with an old Marine finishing off his lifespan in a hospital bed in a nursing home. Fred Becker was a Veteran of the Banana Wars, already out and retired before the Second Great Unpleasantness. He had barely avoided the first one, he had not been quite old enough for that.

His stories mostly featured his Squad Leader, a certain Louie Puller. The guy was genuine. Fred had outlived all his friends and relatives, and I may well have been the last person left who gave a damn about him.

Good Night, Chesty; wherever you are!

Before that, in the 1970's, I'd visit former grade school classmate, Victor Martinez; a Marine who came home from 'Nam a quadriplegic and was being sustained on the local VA Medical Center's old age floor. He was 26 at the time. That was always a gut wrenching visit.

Kennedy said we do the hard things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. He was the last Democrat President I really revered. It's the hard things that are truly worthwhile, and so few live up to that these days. It's largely about stepping up and doing the things that may not improve our images, but will always improve our self respect.

I was active in the MODD, the Military Order of the Devil Dogs. Our mandate was to assist the VAVS (Veterans Administration Volunteers' Association). We were also the Marines in Blues who went to (the then) Giants' Stadium each year and collected toys for the Toys For Tots campaigns. Every Christmas Morning we'd get to distribute them wearing the uniform to the kids in the Hospitals. Dear Lord, how it must have felt to be kid stuck in a hospital on Christmas.

How many of us can take the time to do a little of that once in awhile? Maybe more of us should try that instead of bitching and moaning about stuff that is really happening outside our own comfort zones.

When I see Gerry and others pissing on the Marines I just sigh and take the next step...

There are none so deaf as those who will not hear...

...And maybe there's a lesson in that.

We are all loyal citizens and patriots in our own ways. When we draw lines and split hairs about the you and the me, all we are really doing is further implementing the commie tactic of dividing and conquering. They are getting closer to winning, and they are doing it with our help; it's all really just another manifestation of identity politics (AKA Divide and Conquer).

We can do better and we should start as of now.

Starting right here in the one place we can still call our own; The 'Hide.

Greg

Last edited: