• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chey Tac M200 in 375ct or Thor M375

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
Can someone please explain what the heck the difference is between the Chey Tac M200 in 375ct and the Thor M375! Are they both the same gun made by EDM Arms?

Thanks!

Re: Chey Tac M200 in 375ct or Thor M375

The M200 was developed as a modification of the Windrunner initially, by scaling down the M96 receiver into what became the XM04 receiver. Cheytac modified it in a few areas, particularly the barrel and bipod assembly, but then a falling out happened with EDM. Many of the M200s were built by other manufacturers against EDM's wishes.

Thor is essentially Knesek Guns, a company with a checkered past. Over the last few years EDM has spun off some of its product line to other companies. Nemesis Arms now makes the .308 Windrunner, for example and apparently Thor is making the XM04.

This is where it gets a bit confusing as Knesek is/was a Cheytac dealer, selling M200s. So now they are building XM04s per EDM's specs, but also apparently building an M200 copy. I'm not fully aware of what the situation is, but from what I've heard they are making two different receivers as EDM-spec receiver does not accept Cheytac 7-round mags, but the M200 copy does. It's quite possible that they are selling the rest of EDMs volume of XM04 receivers while manufacturing the Cheytac-spec receivers now.

It's really confusing and honestly, I'd stay away from both. As far as I know, EDM never made a .375 variant, but you can find EDM built XM04 .408s for sale on the various forums (including this one). There are so many better platforms to build a .375 on.

Interesting. Sounds like a cluster! So what are the better platforms?

There are a number of actions you can get (Defiance, Stiller, etc), barrels (Benchmark is highly recommended) and chassis systems (MCrees, XLR, etc) to build a .375 to your specs. For ultimate versatility, DTA just started shipping their HTI which can do both .50BMG and .408-based cartridges.

As per Dogtown, I too advise to stay away from anything made by THOR or sold by Knesek.

After troubleshooting the XM408, whose functionality and accuracy comes with a "lifetime warranty," I have yet to hold a better group than 7MOA @100 meters. Yes, you read that right. 7MOA @ 100 meters. I've been trying make use of that warranty by returning the rifle but Knesek Guns insists they have a 3 day return policy. If you research the company on other shooter forums you'll find other shooters have had similar experiences.

I'd stay away from both companies. It's my suspicion that the products listed on their website are at a severe disconnect with the real inventory in the warehouse. It appears that they'll take your order (and your money) and then begin the process of finding the product for you. That of course takes a long time and should the customer decide to back out of the order (who wants to wait 6 months for something that was supposedly in stock?), Knesek will charge you a 50% restocking fee.

I'm sincerely surprised that Knesek and Thor have stayed in business for as long as they have. Every business has a bad day but the consistency of problems here brings the integrity of the company as well as their employees into question.

Take Tribebreaker's advice. STAY AWAY from Knesek Guns Inc. & Thor Industries!
He speaks the truth. I am still waiting for products purchased from Larry Knesek, who finds some new excuse why the products have not been shipped every time I call. (Waaay longer than his dated posting above.) Now beyond the patients of a biblical prophet in the desert, I've been requesting a full refund without a reply.
If Tribebreaker purchased a THOR M408 please take a careful look at the positioning of your bipod mount: Is it clamped on the barrel nut over the barrel shroud & handle? If so, that is the point of poor accuracy. Harmonic distortion my friend. Something never discussed in the glitz publications. Go direct with Bill Richie at EDM and bypass the headaches. I've run out of Excedrin.
I would like to compare notes with Tribebreaker on his dealings with KGI.
Serpent

And now this old thread is going in a loop....weeeee!