• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chey-Tac vs EDM Arms -- what is the truth here?

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
Hi all,

At the risk of starting a total shit-storm,
grin.gif
--- what the hell is the difference between Chey-tac and EDM Arms?

I am hearing mixed reports -- I understand that EDM manufactured rifles for Chey-Tac at some point in the past, but the two companies split ways, maybe some bad blood there i don't know for sure -- just a sense. At this point Chey-Tac manufactures their own rifles? Or do they have an outside manufacturer? Is either system "better" in terms of accuracy than the other? I have considered purchasing a rifle from one of these 2 companies for the last few years, and would really like to know what the history is. I am DAMN sure there is some kind of a story here -- and I love a good story.

Can anyone here enlighten me please.

Thanks in advance,

Dark

Re: Chey-Tac vs EDM Arms -- what is the truth here?

Would go with EDM. Customer service is par none. Bill Ritchie will take care of any problems.

Man you are in Orem.. I live in Orem lol

You should come by Desert Tactical Arms and I can give you the insight
smile.gif

Thanks

Do a search - this topic has been covered ad nauseum. In a nutshell, EDM made some of the early actions, since then Cheytac has used some different manufacturers. Lawton has been making the barrels for quite some time. Both rifles are excellent - the M200 is more expensive but uses a different bipod system. The EDM rifle can be taken down much easier.

Re: Chey-Tac vs EDM Arms -- what is the truth here

I appreciate the votes for EDM, but i want the HISTORY of these two companies.

Later, I am interested in DTA as well, wouldn't mind finding out more about your company either.

Dark

I just explained it. EDM was involved in the early stages of the rifle's development, but at some point they ended their relationship, Cheytac had someone else make the actions and related parts while EDM marketed their work as the XM04.

Do a search - djd explained it in detail not too long ago.

If you're considering either system, I'll throw this out there from personal experience: both are very capable rifles. The bipod assembly of the M200 is superior to the XM04's which is too close to the rifle's center of gravity. However, the benefit of the XM04 is that it can be taken-down quickly and easily into a compact package. The take-down on the M200 is more involved because of the barrel shroud and bipod assembly.

Both are fantastic rifles but my personal opinion is that they are a bit overkill for the average civilian shooter. The action is BEEFY and honestly you can have a lighter, less bulky rifle built on a more standardized platform. For example, Cheytac sells a .408 in a McRees or McMillan stock as does Lawton and other rifle manufacturers.

If you're trying to choose between the M200 and the XM04, what I wrote above is the main difference along with price. M200 = more stable but costs more. XM04 has easier, quicker take-down capability and costs less.

But add 1 pointanother to EDM for customer service.

I really liked my EDM rifle and I agree Bill Richie is a top notch guy. There have been lots said about a lack of support from Cheytac but in all honesty things on the EDM side haven't been so good since the move to Utah. A close friend of mine bought a Windrunner based on how much he enjoyed shooting mine, but it has been a major headache for him - getting the rifle took the better part of a year, his hard case is still incomplete and he's discovered that some parts on his rifle aren't exactly built to precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Cheytac had someone else make the actions and related parts</div></div>

Is Stiller's Precision making the actions for Cheytac?

On a barely related note, it's kind of funny considering that the only person who was ever injured shooting my .408 Windrunner is the same guy who made the imagery Darkphage has as his avatar. Nothing major - just a case of scope eye that required some stitches.

Nah, he's not on here. John C - worked at Blizzard from about 1998-2003.

If memory is correct, Becker Machine for the M200 receiver & bolt, bipod(possibly other parts).
Lawton Machine for the M200 barrels, M310 actions and barrels.
I believe Lawton does their smaller claibers also.

Thanks John!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a barely related note, it's kind of funny considering that the only person who was ever injured shooting my .408 Windrunner is the same guy who made the imagery Darkphage has as his avatar. Nothing major - just a case of scope eye that required some stitches. </div></div>

Aha! I have you now! I thought I asked you specifically if that gun was ever in an accident and you said "NO WAY MAN!" I was expecting perfect groups and can only coax out .2's and .3's, and man, the scope petered out elevation wise at around 2000 yards and now you got me looking at Schmidt's and USO's in 25x just to break the 2k barrier. Dogtown, you SCOUNDREL!

Ha! Well I honestly must have thought it was my lightweight .308 at the time - that one banged up quite a few people who didn't pay attention. Not the Windrunner. Everyone who ever shot that thing seemed to expect it to be a cannon. But looking at your scope, can you see it cutting someone's eyebrow? The one one that slapped my buddy John was a NXS with no scope caps (ie razor sharp aluminum). I did the first 20 shots with that NXS before the IOR arrived. My mistake was taking off the ocular cap because the whole section rotated with magnification. Instead of getting smacked by plastic he was smacked by sharp aluminum. At least you got the rifle after I'd locktighted the scope base - that played havoc on me for about 50 rounds
wink.gif

The EDM 408ct is a cream puff and a joy to shoot. Anyone suffering a scope eye injury on it would surely suffer the same but worse on a .308. That rifle is as close to perfection on a big bore as I have seen or read about to-date (ok ok, .408-.375 is pretty cool, I'll admit).

I got a bud coming down for Springer salmon season fishing on the Rogue and I think I'll enlist his aid for the 2200 yd game I got planned. Logistics begin to matter at such ranges and the more the merrier.

Becker Machine does makes everything except the barrel, magazine,trigger, pistol grip, and butt pad. I have seen there work, looks first class to me . I am pretty sure Lawton makes the barrel, and then they are assembled at Cheytac.