• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheyenne Precision Rifle Hoedown - my first competition!

CybrSlydr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2021
Casper, WY
A co-worker and myself decided we were going to take the plunge and compete in the aforementioned competition between Cheyenne and Laramie WY. It was both of our first competitions, though a little over a year ago, I went to observe a match and took pictures.

I was squadded with my co-worker and two other guys - couldn't have asked for better squad mates! They were helpful, supportive, and darn good shots too! Good people.

I would say I was a victim of a lack of preparation more than gear or the conditions (it was breezy and mid to high 30s with snow moving in just as we were finishing up). With ammo as expensive as it is, I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I'd like. Then, when I find ammo like the AAC 140gr SMK, it goes out of stock for a month or more.
Thankfully, I'd saved up 120rds of the AAC 140gr SMK, which was enough for the COF for this competition (I believe 86rds was the total possible). However, I didn't have a local enough range to go out and get DOPE for the various ranges. This hurt me dearly.

The COF was nice and varied - no two stations were similar. Big tree, rocks, wood tank trap, tires, modified prone, etc. and all at various distances. Kudos to Sam Carlson, the event coordinator. Guy works hard and hosted an excellent event!

For those of you who do this often, this is going to sound incredibly stupid (and I agree) - I did this event without any DOPE. lol

I literally just guessed on my reticle as to what holdover I should use. I'd listen to what the spotter would say and tried to adjust, but with two rounds/target, if I wasn't on the first time, the second shot wouldn't be too great. I did manage to hit the farthest target at 900yds once. I knew it was zeroed at 100yds, but that was it.

So, in the end, I wound up hitting 11 targets out of 86 while my coworker managed to hit 12 out of 86. I also accomplished my goal of not being last! I was next to last. lol Not surprising since I was literally guessing with my reticle. I don't know if you can see this link but here's the Practiscore table. I'm Jordan Sampson - https://practiscore.com/results/html/fa1a67bb-aeb0-43ae-80dc-404db01f467a?page=class-combined

So what did I learn? I learned I had a really good time! The event had a lot of great people with fun stations. I also learned that I need to dig into my reticle and the like and start working up some DOPE so I'm not guessing anymore (I'm pretty amazed I managed to hit that 900yd target doing this...). I also made the mistake on the last station, which was shooting from the bed of a pickup truck with the rifle on the top of the roof, of not using my shooting bag. For some reason I thought I could just go up with the bipod and no bag and just shoot - bad idea. Too much motion so all of my shots were around the targets rather than on.

Thanks for reading and I hope I can help those of you who are considering doing this with being more prepared than I was. :D

Congrats on getting out an competing. Pretty sure I shot at the match last year when you were photographing. If so happy you committed and shot the match!

Sam puts on an amazing match, I wish it was closer to me so I could shoot it regularly.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Glad you took the plunge, it’s a great sport. It’s crazy you went to a match without having your dope, at least somewhat nailed down! You probably fared well considering that handicap. I would imagine you will trend to dialing the more competition shooting you do. Keep shooting, it’s amazing how much progress can be made in just one season of practicing.

I get any pics of you? :)

Yeah, I wish Casper wasn't so far. Either I spend an extra $150+ for a hotel or leave Casper at 0430 to get there in time to start and drive back the same day.

Same reason (other than gas and ammo cost) I've only been to the Laramie range once despite having a yearly membership.

Glad you took the plunge, it’s a great sport. It’s crazy you went to a match without having your dope, at least somewhat nailed down! You probably fared well considering that handicap. I would imagine you will trend to dialing the more competition shooting you do. Keep shooting, it’s amazing how much progress can be made in just one season of practicing.
I've purchased a Cole Tac cheat sheet v2 and dope cards since I got home. Should be more prepared next time. Lol

I get any pics of you? :)

Yeah, I wish Casper wasn't so far. Either I spend an extra $150+ for a hotel or leave Casper at 0430 to get there in time to start and drive back the same day.

Same reason (other than gas and ammo cost) I've only been to the Laramie range once despite having a yearly membership.
Yep, looks like you got a handful of my ugly mug haha. That was a great match, I remember it being VERY cold!

Well hopefully we meet again at one of the WYCO matches this year! If you see a tall skinny guy it will probably be me, come say hi

• Love
Sam puts on a great match and the shooters are awesome as well. It will definitely teach you how to read wind. There's a reason there's a wind farm in the back drop. Lol.

Were you guys able to finish up before the rain started today?

Sam puts on a great match and the shooters are awesome as well. It will definitely teach you how to read wind. There's a reason there's a wind farm in the back drop. Lol.

Were you guys able to finish up before the rain started today?
Kinda. Lol

It started blowing and snowing as we were on the last station. Otherwise, overcast and cold but wind wasn't too bad.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Yep, looks like you got a handful of my ugly mug haha. That was a great match, I remember it being VERY cold!

Well hopefully we meet again at one of the WYCO matches this year! If you see a tall skinny guy it will probably be me, come say hi

Why yall wearing coats, gloves, n beanies and shit it's almost May lol...

Congrats on the match that's awesome

If you go a little early in the morning, you can check dope and aim at the 900 yard berm to get dope. Sams a good dude, last I was tracking they had a range gun you can borrow as well.

If you go a little early in the morning, you can check dope and aim at the 900 yard berm to get dope. Sams a good dude, last I was tracking they had a range gun you can borrow as well.
The safety brief was at 0800 and my coworker and I got there around 0700. He wanted to do just that. I just put some rounds on the 200yd target. lol

Me and my coworker. :D

53684845436_b34ec2c5ac_h.jpg

Reactions: Baron85
Next time you go to a match, assuming you don’t have access to distance before, ask to borrow someone’s chronograph and get a speed for your ammo and ask for some help trueing up your data.

Do you have a ballistic app on your phone yet? It’s cheap and money well spent. My current favorite is strelok pro but I believe that has been banned or something. I have also used Ballistic AE and hornady 4dof. All of them will get you pretty close.

Next time you go to a match, assuming you don’t have access to distance before, ask to borrow someone’s chronograph and get a speed for your ammo and ask for some help trueing up your data.

Do you have a ballistic app on your phone yet? It’s cheap and money well spent. My current favorite is strelok pro but I believe that has been banned or something. I have also used Ballistic AE and hornady 4dof. All of them will get you pretty close.
My coworker has one of those on a little tripod - was really cool! I think the AAC was right around 2800 or so the couple I shot with it recording.

I have the Hornady 4DOF on my phone, but I've never used it or figured out how. It was always something I was going to do "later". lol

My coworker re-loads his 6.5 PRC and his .308. Guy has a bunch of cool gear. I did end up ordering a Cole Tac Cheat Sheet v2 so I'll have somewhere to write down and view my DOPE next time. lol

Reactions: Baron85
There is no 900 yard berm. It goes from 800, skips 900 because the land elevation drops below sight line, and then to the 1015 yard berm (depending upon where you range that target from).