• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheyenne, WY Housing

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi y’all,

Might have a possible job offer up in Cheyenne. I’m currently in Alabama looking to change careers to personal training (currently a municipal cop).

Problem is, I need to have a yes or no answer for the possible offer on 5.24. My wife and I are not finding housing though. The issue with that is we have two 60lb dogs and a cat. We love the idea of moving up there but not having a roof over our head is definitely an issue.

We are not opposed either buying or renting but most of what we are seeing is out of our budget ($1.1k rent or ~$220k house) with me taking a pay cut.

Any of y’all know a place? Obviously if the employer declines me this post is useless. But I want us to be prepared if he is willing to hire me.

Any help is appreciated,
- PBWalsh

Reactions: Bender
Housing is insane here right now. You better be ready to offer over asking the day the house is posted. New construction? Better have started that last year.
It is windy AF here 9 months a year. I’m not making that up. It can snow 11 months a year. Our last storm was 30+ in two days. Luckily no major wind, 3 days before we got out.

people are great. Jobs are thin but very stable economy here.

if you for real want to move here PM me. But as for housing, you can not be picky at all. There are three people behind you that will buy it.

Housing in Cheyenne is hyperinflated and there is very little on the market. Your price range needs to be in the $500k range to make a realistic offer at this time. 1500sqft houses are selling for at least $450k.

Most of the rentals are overpriced, ran by property management groups that don't care, or low income apartments.

If you do move here, don't go around telling people about how that wasn't how it was done back home. Nobody cares, and we do things different here. And I hope you like the cold and wind. It snowed here last week, and can snow into June.

Good luck in your search.

OP, Bender and JMGlasgow are not kidding you.

I lived there 2008-2019.
My house sold within days and it was not a starter home.
Last I heard the USAF missile base was to undergo a major renovation and expected 3,000 plus workers to come to town.

Northern CO folks were moving to WY to flee CO laws .
Good luck finding housing there.
Seriously.

Oh, and the winter weather really sucks....

Can vouch for all the above. I’ve been doing some research on moving into the southern part of Wyoming in the next five years when I’m done with work here in Denver. The views of the mountains here are nice which is about the only positive I give Denver at the moment. Wyoming is more my speed and people.

And Weatherby is up north in Sheridan.

Magpul is headquartered in Texas, they ship from here because of I-80 and I-25. Most of their plastic molding is still done in CO last I knew. So they never really left there.

@Bender PM sent.

Yeah y’all are spot on. The housing there is kinda crazy. To replicate our house (3B/2Ba, 1200 sq ft), seems to be about $350k, we paid $189k for ours in small town (6-7k population) Alabama.

I'm not here to scare you but winters in Wyoming are brutal compared to Alabama. The only thing better about Wyoming is that you get more sunshine.

I recommend you go there and see what it's like before accepting a job.
Too many people see the romance of living there vs the reality.

I'd move there in a heartbeat, but I've lived in western SD and southern ID, so the wind and weather wouldn't be an issue.

Had a trip to Laramie 1.17. Fell in love with it despite the 40 MPH winds and -40* wind chill. The altitude of Laramie was the harder thing to deal with. Going from 800’ to 8500’ was tough.

Don’t let them scare you off, Cheyenne is not that bad and the winters have actually become more mild over the last 40-50 years. Winter storms can impact travel especially if you are driving between Rock Springs and Laramie (About 7200 elevation, not 8500 but Sherman Summit is around 8600) or driving to Laramie from Cheyenne or south on the 25 as it closes frequently. Wind is always a problem as the city was built on the plains and when the city was founded, it only had 12 trees in the town so that should tell you something. I get back to Cheyenne a few times a year but don’t think I would live there full time.

Housing prices are inflated everywhere but there are available homes if you have the budget. While Cheyenne has grown over the years, it still takes about 10-15 minutes to drive from the north side of town to the south side. Restaurants are average (although I do like an occasional Taco Johns...wife thinks I’m nuts) and any specialty shopping is still through the Internet. You can still drive to Denver in a relatively short time if needed. Medical care is not bad but some still drive to Ft. Collins or beyond for medical services. Many folks picture mountains and pine trees when they think of Wyoming but Cheyenne is not that, not even close.

Last edited:
Yes, they have had a run of rough hail storms. Had the roof on the house replaced a few times. Luckily, vehicles are in the garage. Even have the occasional tornado. I remember looking down on the airport and watching a tornado toss the C-130s around. Wyoming does not suck, it’s a great state; however, Cheyenne was dropped out in the middle of nowhere so it’s not for everyone. I grew up there so it was all I knew.

Two days of heavy snow does not indicate a severe winter. The 10 years prior they received a total average of 71 inches. The highest one year total was in 1942 = 107.4"

10-year snowfall averages at Cheyenne, 2010 to 2019
DaysInchesCentimetres
2.0January6.015.3
3.8February10.727.1
3.0March9.925.2
3.6April13.133.2
1.6May6.416.4
0.0June0.00.0
0.0September0.10.2
1.8October6.315.9
2.7November8.621.9
2.8December10.025.5
21.3Year71.2180.7

EwhmEueXAAEHfWH-1024x576 (1).jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Wyoming is wrecked now too? There are some spots there I love, and I thought of it as one of the last vestiges of the true west. I always knew Cheyenne would be at risk, far too close to the complete waste of topography known as Denver.

Reactions: rancher5
You might try Wamsutter, it's a straight line commute to Cheyenne and quite peaceful area.

• Love
Not living in Colorado. Not a chance am I giving up my standard capacity mags for karen. Thought about Nebraska, but thats still over 1.5 hours for the drive.

Kinda sounds like Wyoming is a closed door for now, unless something random pops up.

If Cheyenne is anything like Laramie, I am familiar with the staunch lack of trees and a wind swept plain.

And Weatherby is up north in Sheridan.

Magpul is headquartered in Texas, they ship from here because of I-80 and I-25. Most of their plastic molding is still done in CO last I knew. So they never really left there.
Alot of their molding is done in Riverton.

Wyoming realestate is insane right now, I have several neighbors with $600,000 small farms(40-160acre) and they're getting 2-3 million dollar cash offers. Realtor just roles around with them and they knock on doors with the client looking for places to buy, because nothing is on the market. Luckily for me most are good'ole boys and tell them to pound sand.

I'd love to sell my place for double of what I paid but currently cant replace it without spending a fortune.

Back in the day most men would only need a horse and a bedroll to live in Wyoming, what the hell happened out there ?

Not living in Colorado. Not a chance am I giving up my standard capacity mags for karen. Thought about Nebraska, but thats still over 1.5 hours for the drive.

Kinda sounds like Wyoming is a closed door for now, unless something random pops up.

If Cheyenne is anything like Laramie, I am familiar with the staunch lack of trees and a wind swept plain.
You dont have to give up your mags

I just bought standard cap mags today.

Doc

Hi y’all,

Might have a possible job offer up in Cheyenne. I’m currently in Alabama looking to change careers to personal training (currently a municipal cop).

Problem is, I need to have a yes or no answer for the possible offer on 5.24. My wife and I are not finding housing though. The issue with that is we have two 60lb dogs and a cat. We love the idea of moving up there but not having a roof over our head is definitely an issue.

We are not opposed either buying or renting but most of what we are seeing is out of our budget ($1.1k rent or ~$220k house) with me taking a pay cut.

Any of y’all know a place? Obviously if the employer declines me this post is useless. But I want us to be prepared if he is willing to hire me.

Any help is appreciated,
- PBWalsh

You better hurry before or available/affordable housing comes to an end.....the Kolorado Infestation is in full bloom! While still better than most places......the political complexion is rapidly changing!

Wells County Kolorado has been wanting to join Wyoming.....I’d rather see Laramie County go to Kalorado! And maybe.....Teton County can just go to Hell! Before they drag the rest of the state down with them! memtb

Last edited:
I was living in Wheatland Wy in 1980 during that snow storm. It will snow there that’s for sure.

Buy a travel trailer. Live it for a while. Look a round and find something better. Please don’t buy a huge trailer. A small tag n go will do. Good luck

If you consider SE Wyoming with that camper......you better use “hurricane straps” to keep it “shinny side up”! memtb

If you consider SE Wyoming with that camper......you better use “hurricane straps” to keep it “shinny side up”! memtb
Your right about that but I lived in one in wheatland. I worked on the Laramie Basin Power station. There were a few Hundred Trailers there. The roads were full of them. So it can be done.

Reactions: memtb

I would stay in Alabama if I were you

There is NO place I would move to in the western US. None AT ALL.

Laramie is full of woke Liberals ,buddy has a K9 outfit and he just shakes his head and drinks to deal with the idiots, there's a Collage in Laramie, and its Woke.

Hi y’all,

Any help is appreciated,
- PBWalsh
It's the same unfortunate situation everywhere. I've been looking and it's all the same in any given state or in BFE. Maybe wait for the bubble to burst, if the world as we know it is still around by then.

• Sad
Reactions: rancher5