• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cheytac barrel specs

6Dasher

Minuteman
Apr 25, 2005
Netherlands
Hi,

I've been following some of the CT threads and have pulled the trigger (mentally) on a CT rifle. The one things most have different opinions on is the barrel configuration. Short, long, 1:11.5 or 1:9, gain twist or straight, etc.

I would like to ask you 375 and 408CT owners if you would please let me know what barrel brand and specs you are using to drive your canonballs through the air.

The rest of the setup is pretty much settled on, a Lawton 8000 repeater in an XLR stock with CT mags and a 40moa rail to hold my SN3. The barrel is pretty much my only question mark up to this point, plus if it will be 375 or 408.

Thanks!!!

Re: Cheytac barrel specs

First thing to do is to settle on a bullet you can get consistabtly in The neatherlands. Then find the twist that stabalizes that bullets.

The safe thing right now is 1.10 in 29"-32" that will stabalize any magazine compatable bullet and not rip the 350 grn SMK apart. There are many new wonder bullets getting ready to hit the market but they are not all tested to their full potential.

Personally I shoot 355 grn SP bullets made by GSC in a 1.10.5 32" lawton SS barrel with a standard bore twist. Accuracy is very acceptable at the distances I have tested (710 yds)

Cheers,

Master Diver

i have a 1:10 Lilja and it shoots the 350SMK 1/2-1/3MOA @ 3200fps.

Id love to know if the SMK would survive from a 1:9 twist at this speed?

I think the best idea is to use the fastest twist barrel possible whilst still being able to shoot jacketed bullets and not have them fly apart. This way you are maximizing the potential to shoot very high BC solids when they become available, but also have the freedom to shoot a jacketed bullet aswell for the lower costs or for hunting etc.

I dont see any reason for a repeater in a long range non military rifle and the reduction in action stiffness from the magazine cutout does not help accuracy.

Haven't seen any sierras here over .338 in caliber. Bullet cost is not so much the issue with this rifle.

Yeah, the repeater is mostly a tacticool factor to be honest. Gives some body to the rifle which otherwise looks very lean and long.

Have you looked into the 338 snipetac? Basically it is the .408 case necked down to .338. Those bullets are a lot easier to get and there is a larger selection.

The actual Chey tac twist rate is 1:13
However the actual Chey tac barrel was produced by EDM long before the fallout then by a company that will remain nameless. The rifling comes under a patent along with the bullets for them as it is the "controlled spin" patent. Don't think you can get an actual Chey Tac now as it has been discoverd that they are in bankruptcy. From all the rumors the huge amount of ego's that came together could not stay together.

Groper, I fired the SMK from an 8 twist at 3200. I had no catastrophic failures;however, accuracy was not all that good and I suspect they were very close to coming apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The actual Chey tac twist rate is 1:13
However the actual Chey tac barrel was produced by EDM long before the fallout then by a company that will remain nameless. The rifling comes under a patent along with the bullets for them as it is the "controlled spin" patent. Don't think you can get an actual Chey Tac now as it has been discoverd that they are in bankruptcy. From all the rumors the huge amount of ego's that came together could not stay together. </div></div>

Any details on the alledged barrel patent? How do you patent rifling????

I would say get a 375 it is much better than the 408 in terms of projectile availability and it is closer to being a sporting round also i would get a 10 twist if you wanted to use most of the projectiles available now. in the future an 8 twist will be very benificual and i have just ordered a 40" 8 twist to do some testing of some amasing new projectiles just to see where the limit will be. dave Viers has also fired the 350gr MatchKings from the 8 twist in a 375 SnipeTac and they held together but the accuracy was no where near what is achieved in a 10 twist. Make sure you DON'T get the Lost river bore size because then the matchKings dont shoot realy well but if you want to wait until the next generation of projectiles are on the market then the 8 twist would be worth getting any solids will still work through the 8 twist and hopefuly we will have some 420gr Rocky Mountain projectiles this month to test through an 8 twist they should be awsome in the 375. the other thing to think about is do you want the CheyTac or SnipeTac i would have a look at the 375 SnipeTac and talk to dave Viers as he can furnish dies and cases for you. The snipeTac has a few advantages over the CheyTac case so if you are building a large rifle make all it can be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is called controlled spin. To make a very long process short it engraves the bullet in a way to slow its rotation much faster as it goes downrange so that it will nose down and thus become more aerodynamic as it go transonic and subsonic. Kind of like a good spiral on a football will nose down and fly farther.
link to patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=3r4MAAA...p;q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=6629669 </div></div>

Thanks,..exactly the answer I was looking for.

You can still get Cheytacs, you just need to go to the real people that make them. I can get them no problem. Probably $7000 or less. brand new and any caliber. Cheytac only raised the price they were getting the rigs for by the real guys.