• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Chinese and like scopes

raythemanroe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2012
NY
I have looked at most companies and Burris is making almost all of there stuff in China (sad). Viper I don't know if they was ever made here, Leupold already outsourced Redfield very quickly not to mention there binocs are foreign made now. Well, I guess what I'm getting at Viper is pretty expensive and not cheap for a China product..Burris is not cheap for a Philippians scope:( Is it me or do other people feel even if the product has the same quality you know it is costing much less to produce and I have a hard time buying Chinese junk for what American and German products cost...Japanese make good stuff also. Just saying at these price points don't everybody think it should be made here at least 51% enough to be called American?

Re: Chinese and like scopes

The vortex viper is made in the philipians. Scope in the vortex line made in china is the crossfire.

Unfortunately, you are never going to get away from stuff being made overseas.

DK

No doubt, except usually you don't pay U.S made prices would be were I'm getting at...

The revolution is made here and the revenge which is gonna be Redfields main model with the most options is made in the Philippians..I believe, if a company buy's the name and advertises it as an American company come back to us like some great story book tale then does a bate and switch it's pretty low...Redfield (leupold) and Vortex along with others try to hide that fact very well..The fact of not being American made that is.. I would like to repeat this is not about bashing or anything like that but I do believe that we are getting ripped of by dirt low Chinese, Philippians or who ever is building it for pennies...How much did a Vortex Razor HD cost to build in the Philippians? My guess no where even remotely near $1999.95 right? Is it that much better then a Nightforce? Which last I new was still made hear and ruffly the same price..

You need to do some research before stating things as facts. The razor is made in japan, not the Philippines. I do agree that leupold tries to hide where their scopes are produced, but vortex makes it obvious. Of cource a razor does not cost 1999.99 to be made, how many companies in history strived to break even. Not only that, but do you think vortex sells the razor to its dealers for 1999.99 and they break even selling to you? If so do shipping companies deliver to dealers for free because they are doing a nice thing? I'm sure all the advertising, sponsering, etc you see them doing is free as well correct? Companies have to make money do do these things.

Bottom line is you are paying prices equal to products made in the Philippines, Japan, or China. What your not happy about is the amount of money It would cost to actually make a scope in the us, and if such a scope was made everyone would say "Ya but is it 2000 dollars better than a Nightforce"

Yeah, I remember there was a thread last year about Leupold not being made in the US, no markings on the scopes or boxes. They must have picked up on that, as my new VXR has the "designed, machined, and assembled in the US" right on the bell. Also The Razor is made in Japan.

All in all, I think more scopes and glass would be made in the US if it was not for the environmental impact.

Even S&B has plants in Hungary http://www.sb-optics.com/start.htm, far from a Chinese company, but outsourcing and globalization is a standard operation in the optics industry.

raythemanroe...you do realize the guts of the (probably not inexpensive) computer you are typing this on are made in (horrors) China, don't you?
My point being: a lot of quality companies have moved their production to China yet kept their quality control.
Look around you house...the electonics in everything from you TV to fridge to car come from China...you likely couldn't afford half the stuff you have if not for that fact.
Sure...you gotta be wary of the cheap knockoffs and crap companies...but a Viper made here or there is very likely going to be the same.

Its just simple economics. Although i do think companies should be upfront about where products are produced. Leupold almost seems to blur the line ...Only just ordered a pair of Binos before reading that they did in fact move that production to China.

Who kicks up a fuss about quality control apple products? ..if your getting the product as described, functioning correctly all is well IMO.

42769vette Your right about vortex to a point, they build there upper model in japan like most companies and there junk in China correct but like some others Redfield revenge, Burris fullfield and others come out of the same plant in the philippians. I was wrong about Nightforce being American made but I guess if your charging $2000 for your scope you don't want to outright tell everybody it is now imported...Wouldn't most people expect a lower price now there made in Japan? I would expect a little more loyalty from a shooting crowd also:(

about a decade to 15 years ago, the same conversation was at the forefront....but replace the word china with japan.

most of your lower end stuff is made china these days, appears most are the same structure and turrets, just a different name printed on the side.

will there be a day a china made will get a thumbs up? probably, just as the japan stuff once was considered garbage all the way around.

as long as the import / export / tariff laws stay the same, the market will continue to be flooded with these things.

on the same token, if you think your chevy or ford is american, think again. i believe there are more toyotas truely made in america than chevy. some of the american scope makers....is it that just their address is in america like chevrolet?

to pose another quetion --- american gun makers---where are they getting their steel, wood, aluminum, etc from?

Ya, imports are making it into American gun company's. Far as Ford and Chevy at least for gm there about 70% China at the moment..Honda makes about 80% of the accord here for there world market..

These conversations always crack me up. Everyone wants to say that it is important to support American made companies but then bitch about pricing. It amazes me that companies like USO can survive given that they are in the USA and California no less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: augnmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These conversations always crack me up. Everyone wants to say that it is important to support American made companies but then bitch about pricing. It amazes me that companies like USO can survive given that they are in the USA and California no less. </div></div>

I have always said, if China had the same regulations and labor rates as the US they couldn't compete, even with all their rip-offs of technology developed elsewhere.
The Economist ran a seriesof articles, is the US economy better off because of goods manufactured in China and the answer was an undisputable yes.
back on topic, looked at a Minox last week: glass from Germany, parts from Japan, assembled in USA.

The truth is augnmike is we want to buy from American companies and then bitch about the price because so much of the retail price is paying for labor. If USO was made in Mississippi they would probably be about $1000 less.

I don't mind paying more for American goods but to pay the same for China is ridiculous..Take craftsman tools as of now one box may say china and the other USA but the same price always.

Chinese and like scopes...Hmmmm....USA and hate scopes...Although some like to hate snopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4276vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The vortex viper is made in the philipians.</div></div>They do have a long-standing scope-making tradition: Paul visited Philippi for the first time on his second missionary journey from 49-51 AD.

Fascinating Thread....
grin.gif

Graham, your bad, I almost sprayed pop on my keyboard. I picked up on that one earlier but let it slide. Hold on, gotta catch my breath....laughin so hard.

So basically Japan builds one of the better scopes these days or all of them?

How many people have looked through Japan's March line of scopes? If so would you say there worth the money cause if Nightforce is now Japanese why not buy a March? Cause if there worth the money then they would be clearly better then a cheaper scope.

Only problem with Chinese women is that you're horny and hour later.

Haven't had the luxury to try there women out but I have heard that they suck you long time.

Not everything made in China is junk. Depends on the QC the parent company imposes, I have several Apple products that are made in china that are a few years old and have never had a problem of any kind. My brother has a Knous Pro M30 6.5-25X44 scope that he has been using on his Remy 308 SPS Tactical for almost 3 years that has excellent resolution, tracking and clarity. Glass is supposedly imported by the Italian parent company from Europe and strict QC is mandatory. On the other hand most of the other Chinese scopes are junk. Think NC Star and Famous maker.

Glass on the USO is outstanding. As far as quality of products I don't buy American because of quality as much as I don't like supporting other countries before my own. I was talking with a Brit the other day and I asked him how the USA differs from other countries and he said without even a moments delay, "Americans are the most patriotic and loyal people I have ever met." Having done a bit of traveling he was most impressed by our love of country. I know I pay more sometimes and other times there just isn't a like product that I want but I will always strive to buy from my own people first and then move outside the country.