• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chinese nested spheres.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I think I read about these in a National Geographic magazine when I was a kid, in the '70s. As fascinating now, as it was then.

Reactions: BCP and Maggot
    can the carve something like that into

1670206175649.png

that would take skill .

i traveled to hong kong and the new territories for work back in the 90s and without thinking, brought home some ivory pieces as gifts...lol.

I think I read about these in a National Geographic magazine when I was a kid, in the '70s. As fascinating now, as it was then.
    Thats where I first saw it. I can barely cut two 2x4's the same length.

Reactions: jmp1 and BLEE
    Love ivory as a material... I just try and not buy anything 'new.' The way Africa has mis-managed the elephants (as a resource) is criminal... there won't be any more sooner or later. Oh well... the Africans did it to themselves.

baby elephant.jpg

baby elephant 2.jpg

Nothing like a good set of antique ivories on a Colt SAA... 'Merika!!

Sirhr

Love ivory as a material... I just try and not buy anything 'new.' The way Africa has mis-managed the elephants (as a resource) is criminal... there won't be any more sooner or later. Oh well... the Africans did it to themselves.

View attachment 8014324

View attachment 8014325

Sirhr
    I have one full pre-ban tusk left, several sets of slabs, and about 20 lbs of scraps. There is no other material like ivory when it comes to feel. The closest I have seen is Resin Ivory from guitar parts.

I don’t offer it anymore for grips because I’m hoarding it all for myself. Love the material, but obozo really put a hurting on the supply side in the U.S.

All the cool shit is illegal now, lol. Ivory, whale oil, tortoise shell, sperm whale teeth, etc. I almost bought a full walrus tusk from Russia but couldn’t establish provenance to satisfy import criteria.

People think dealing with the ATF on NFA and suppressors is hard? I lol at them after years of dealing in CITES and ESA shit. Fuck up and you end up financially ruined and/or in prison getting turned out over a feather.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    On the topic of ESA, I stopped at a tannery once to drop off something and they had a show room with a large number of different species but in the middle on a pedestal was a snow leopard. So naturally when presented with a taxidermy Endangered species I did the logical thing and asked the guy what the story was. His response was “we don’t talk about that one, I almost went to prison over that”.

View attachment 8014324

View attachment 8014325

Sirhr
    The fucked up part is that you can buy all the mammoth ivory you can afford... So once elephants do go extinct you'll probably be able to buy elephant ivory again.🤪

People just can't wrap their heads around the fact that management of a species actually benefits the entire species and everything else in the surrounding ecosystem.

Conservation programs beat preservation programs every time... Whitetail deer, beaver, otter, etc... But people want to let feelings override logic.

Mike