• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chinese products

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    We are in the process of buying light fixtures, ceiling fans, bathroom sink, bath tub, etc.

Are there any American made products out there like the ones mentioned? Everything at Home Depot is china shit.

Even the 16d nails I bought were soft shit steel that bent at the slightest amount of resistance.

Simple answer to your question is, wait for it.......Nope! I've been doing some home improvements and I can't find nothing with an American Flag on it. We have Menards stores here in wisc., but they are anti-2nd, so I don't shop there, but, their shit is all CCP. Home Depot, as you said, is CCP. I hope the U.S. will start making stuff again, we can only hope. Mac

Reactions: JMGlasgow

Any good electric motor shop should be able to restore this. And it will last 100 years once restored.

By the time it's done, you'll have spent $350 or so on it. It will last long enought that 5 $150 chinese fans will self-destruct.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Kamerad
    I never thought of looking at antiques. I do like the old Americana styling.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Big Ass Fan is made in Lexington, KY. Toto are made in Japan (at least not China). American Standard and Kohler claim to be made in North America.

Maax is north American made, mostly Canadian I believe. I'm sure there are custom light shops throughout also

Hey JM, I once seen a list of products for building a house that were all US made but for the life of me, I can't remember where it was. The listing said these products added (+ or -) 10% to the build if I remember right.

This is from 2011, so I don't know how accurate it still is. Sorry about the small print.
    Screenshot_2020-06-07 Where You Can Buy Made in America Building Products.png

Hey Sgt,
    Was just in the motion of posting that link as I remembered where I had seen it.
    JM hope it works as it seemed good back then

Reactions: Sgt47
    My French coffee maker "Gevalia" (made in China) just died this morning for no apparent reason. Trying to find a non-Chinese product will be very hard; just like trying to find USA made shoes.

If you are looking for hardware - pulls, hinges, knobs, etc. - I can highly recommend Horton's Brasses, in Oxford CT, established 1937 and still family owned (I believe). Excellent products made in CT (not an easy place to manufacture in anymore) and the service is top notch. I have used a bunch of their stuff for a bunch of different projects and all of it is high quality. Prices aren't insane either. I had one project in which a part broke due to my error. I called to order a replacement one, as it was my mistake, but they would not hear of it and immediately sent me a replacement all on their dime.