• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chipped bolt lug help

Reaper 31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2018
    Texas
    Noticed the rear part of the bolt lug is chipped after a range session today. Wondering if this is a big deal and what the remedy is? I do keep the lugs greased up so not sure what happened
    This is on a trued 700. Hopefully ya'll can make out the picture. Anything helps, thanks

Attachments

• 20221021_131208.jpg
      20221021_131208.jpg
      210.6 KB · Views: 233
    The remedy would be to braze on a new bolt nose or buy a new bolt.
    I would have the lugs checked for hardness, likely won't have an effect, but it would bug me.

Thinking this might be a nice time and just get a replacement like the Mack Bros they have in stock. I already have their short action and am happy with it

Noticed the rear part of the bolt lug is chipped after a range session today. Wondering if this is a big deal and what the remedy is? I do keep the lugs greased up so not sure what happened
    This is on a trued 700. Hopefully ya'll can make out the picture. Anything helps, thanks
    Some custom rifle builders charge for a chip like that. You might dress it up a little with a file.

Why isn't the chipped area shiny, are you sure this is new?

Honestly since it's on the back of the lugs I'm not overly concerned as much now. Sounds just cosmetic

• Wow
    Reactions: DIBBS
    Honestly since it's on the back of the lugs I'm not overly concerned as much now. Sounds just cosmetic
    Ummm, yeah, but that's the mating surface with the lug in the action body.

I would be less concerned if the "chip" was in the front of the bolt lug.

What am I missing ?
    I’m not sure what chips even actually being pointed out. If it’s the angled surfaces on the antibind rail then that’s normal as has been said.
    BCF895D6-0E3B-49BF-AF7C-97DCC8643A2D.jpeg

If you have another chip we aren’t seeing point it out because what you have circled is intentional. Nothing should be standing up proud of the back surface of the lug.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    I'm baffled i didn't notice this before :unsure:My years in having this action it never stood out to me. Either way I'm going with the consensus and driving on. I do appreciate everyone's response.

Reactions: spife7980