• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate rifle stock question?

lonegunman762x51

MSgt USAF ret.
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I'm on the hunt for something left handed and affordable. Choate makes a "tactical" Remington long action stock with an aluminum bedding block, is it worth using?

Any ideas for left-handed stocks under $500 bucks?

Re: Choate rifle stock question?

i have had 3 Choate's over the years, still have 1, they are heavy and ugly, but i have never had any isues, all have been great, i can pull action out and back in and it wont lose zero, and i love the ergonomics of these

this is the 1 i still have

sspx0211.jpg

I just sold one of the "ultimate sniper" stocks that came on a gun I bought. I had mixed feelings on it.

The rear tang stuck up about 1/8" above the stock. The FAQ on their website says this is normal. With the aluminum v-block the mounting locations should be the only thing touching. Makes sense in theory, but I didn't care for it. It looks bad in my opinion as well, like it doesn't fit right.

All the sling studs, bipod rail, and buttpad were well fit and solid.

They're ok if you're on a budget. If you can afford a little more, there are better options out there.

You can see the gap here

DSC_5873.jpg

DSC_5875.jpg

DSC_5871.jpg

What are those "other options"?

Left-handed long action Remington model 700 around $500.00 for the stock. 338RUM, light-weight stocks are not the goal. Aluminum bedding block, good fit and quality product for less than the house payment is the goal.

I already did the $900.00 XLR for another rifle, it is nice but spendy. I'd like something different for this one.

Thanks for the help.