• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate stocks??

Msprink05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
WNC
So i know i saw a post that showed a new choate stock with the look and fit of a mcmillan, but cant find it with the search feature. Im thinking of upgrading the savage 10fp tupperware so i was looking for the choate. I know its not the best but funds wont allow to much. Any pics or opinions will be appreciated.

Re: Choate stocks??

I wouldn't darken the doorway of the guy who was selling those on here. But the stock didn't look too bad for the price. I'd say get one if you can find it, then give us a review
wink.gif

i put one on my first tactical rifle. it was a savage 110p tactical. the gun shot great. and the stock held the gun nice and tite. i ended up filling the front and rear space with lead and kind of turned it into a bench rest platform. i thought it was just find. they look like shit and they are not "mil-spec" or anything but for the price you can't go wrong. i would stick with the varmint stock though. the sniper stock is set up to look cool but the varmint feels better.

hope this helps.

remember it's not about how it looks it's about how it shoots. stick with what you can afford. but don't go cheap on glass.

I just out one on a Savage 10FP & will be doing a write up soon (May get it done this weekend).

End result: decent option for the center feed short action, esp at the price.

Jim

i like the varmint by mr. plaster. i beat mine up and then respray my krylon pattern of the month on it and seems to work fine. i like the thumbwheel monopod thing at the rear for adjusting elevation.

I've got one of the new style Choates. Not bad, nearly 4 pounds of plastic and aluminum. Palm swell is nearly the same as my old Bell and Carlson Medalist. Mine is mouunted with a Savage 12 Action and McGowen 26" 7mm-08 barrel at the moment. Shot it with a factory 308 barrel while waiting on the McGowen. The stock feels good to me. A few things that I've noticed with the stock was the rear tang area looked awful. A lot of mold marks and uneven sections. I had to clean up the rear tang area with Devcon epoxy then sanded it smooth. The side swivel mounts rattles a little bit in the rear so I fixed that too. I need to get a couple more spacesr for the rearpad and try a cheek rest. Savage is selling a complete rifle with this stock at Cabela's right now. I think it may be a special item since its not on their website.

Here's a pic of the stock with the 308 barrel:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...9005#Post949005

here's one with the new McGowen barrel.

New%20McGowen%20Barrel%201.JPG

Mine was apparently the 'old style' Choate "Plaster Design" stock. It's still a tupperware stock, just with an aluminum bedding block.

The block still needs to be bedded to reach it's maximum potential. The tupperware still flexes like tupperware, badly. It's possibly a move up from what you have but it still won't perform like a Manners, McMillian or AI. Hold out for better.

I've never handled the other Choate stocks but its probably the same. It does have the feel of plastic, not fiberglass like my Bell and Carlson. It doesn't seem to flex too uch but it does have springiness? in its design. I had the bipod mounted under the front swivels but was getting a lot of vertical groups. Some, in a perfect straight vertical line. I moved the bipod back just a few inches and the vertical shrank from 1.25 inches to near .3-.4 inches. Same load, same shooting session. Just moved the bipod. I think its a good stock for the money and I needed a stock to fit a Savage Centerfeed DBM action (those are few and far between at the moment). I'm saving up now for a Manners or McMillian but I'm happy with it for now.

Mike

I am the one that originally made the post about the Savage stocks by Choate.

I do have these in stock, and they are not cheap plastic. They are full bedded aluminum. The construction of these stocks feel very similar to the HS Precision LTR or PSS stock. I currently have the Savage center feed model, and detachable mag model in stock. I should have these available for the Rem 700s this week also.

If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM.

Soul Assassin,

Are these new stocks of composite construction, i.e. fiberglass and/or other fibers laid up in an epoxy matrix, or are they still injection molded?

To clarify above post, the aluminum bedding block is probably one of the best 'generic' bedding systems, meaning that it will give the best action to bedding fit (less stress = better repeatability = better accuracy) short of a custom individual gun glass bed.

Most aluminum blocks will still benefit from a 'skim bed.' (See the AICS skim bed thread) I haven't skim bedded my AICS because I want to be able to fit different Rem 700 actions into it for testing. The accuracy differences between a good aluminum bedding block fit and a well bedded composite stock are practically none existant and even a bad aluminum block fit would give results probably too small for the majortiy of shooters to differentiate.

The above comments still have the value of about 2 cents. DC

I am not certain exactly how these are constructed, but I know these do not flex. I will definitely ask about the exact construction tomorrow when I speak to Fred.

Here is a cutout pic of these stocks:

tacstockwithblock.jpg

I am sure, as with many other stocks, these will perform best once properly bedded.

i have the choate side folding stock on my 10 fp, im going to se it though, not my thing, i like the looks of that one, kinda resembles the mcmillan in design, but im sure it cant touch it in quality?

Thank you to all that posted, Does anybody have pictures of the varmint style stocks?

I got one with a Savage. I thought for $500 why not get one in a 308. Well, now I see why it was so cheap.

Took the action out, and like others have mentioned, the tooling marks and mold release was crap. Yes, it may have an aluminum frame, but it just does compare anywhere near to other stocks I have had. The biggest thing that bothered me was the cheap machining of the "bedding" of the AL.

I would say buy once and cry once. After all, for just a little more you can get a MCM or something soo much nicer.