• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Tactical or B&C Tactical Medalist

LSOSGT1109

Demoted by the change
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
London, KY
Okay, I'm not big on these which is better threads but I'm torn here. I'm in the market for a replacement stock for a new 10FP and what I really wanted was a duramaxx and I planned on bedding it but B&C does not and will not make a duramaxx for the new center feed Savages. I want to stay under $300 for the stock as I am spending WAY more than I had planned on a scope for it. I had almost settled on the Tactical Medalist even though I'm not overly fond of the extra wide fore end. Then I read a review on here of the new Choate Tactical stock and it seemed pretty good. I'm a little leery cause I've always associated Choate with cheap wanna be crap but this stock acutally looks pretty good. I know that HS Precision makes a good stock for this rifle but no one has them in stock and there seems to be a pretty long wait and I considered Stockade as well but I read that there is like a 14-16 week wait and I don't want to wait that long. Anyone see an area that one of these two stocks shines over the other one?

Re: Choate Tactical or B&C Tactical Medalist

Kind of a one sided reply as I don't have a Choate, however I have nothing but good to say about the B&C Medalist. 700 Remy, 20" Brux,223AI, absolute pleasure to shoot. Everyone who has got behind this rifle has commented about the "feel" ( by the way it shoots! ) I'd say it's hard to go wrong for the $$$ I bought this one slightly used here on the 'Hyde! Gotta love it!

Mmmmmmm hard to say as i havnt shot both...

However I do hear alot of people complain about the choate... Im not sure why... maybe its not comparable to a much more expensive stock but regardless it is still an affordable stock and has been used in many a good rifle...

Check this out

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek096.html

ive heard the choate is better as a flat bench gun, while the b&c is a good for everyhting stock. NOt sure how true this is. I have handled the choate but never shot one and i own a b&c. love it btw

I have 2 of the Choate stock on my Savage center feeds and I like them. They add a little weight and they definitely seem to add stability to the rifle. In fact I have 4 of the Choates one on a Savage 110 action, 3 on my Model 12s they work for me and thats what counts.

Ive owned both. The choate tac stock is an excellent prone/bench stock. The downside is its heavy but if weight isnt an issue and your not carryiny it through the woods all day its a great option. I love my B&C Medalist. This isnt the target tactical but just the standard B&C Med. It holds a Remy700 SPS Tac well balanced and is perfect for carrying around all day in the woods if need be. Figure out what exactly your goin to be using it for and go from there. Both are excellent stocks.

Weight isn't really an issue. This will be my go to deer rifle but, I'm always up for a good workout so I don't care about the weight. What's more important to me is the quality of the stock. I know that the B&C is a nice rigid stock as I have had a few of them. I'm just not real fond of that huge fore end. I like the design of the Choate because it is similar in shape to the A5, I just didn't know how good of a stock it was.

When I did own a savage 10FP-LE, I put it in a B&C medalist stock.
It was much stiffer than the tupperware one, and not too heavy. The gun shot more consistant with the B&C.
I think you would perfer the medalist stock over the choate unit.

Both stocks are going to give you the rigidity you need for accuracy.

The Choate stock is definitely the heavier of the two, probably by about 1/2 a pound. The B&C stock will come with a better finish, but IMHO the Choate stock has a better forearm. It is a hard choice for most, but either choice will give you good results.

I chose the Choate on my last bolt gun, and I had no complaints. If you want a pretty gun with a fancy finish go B&C. If you're gonna spray it with Krylon and shoot off hand more get the Choate.

I vote Choate simply for the forearm design.

I'm considering one of the Choate stocks as well. I have one of the B&C tactical stocks and it is not very comfortable to carry over your shoulder for any kind of distance. The wide, square forend seems to dig into my shoulder.

As mentioned, both are stiff as 2x4s, and shoot well, but the B&C is a much lighter stock, and actually has less felt recoil over the choates. I don't miss the two choates, I had on mine!
001-1.jpg