• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Tactical Stock Bipod Issues

SmokinAce

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
AZ
So I am running a Choate Tactical Stock on my Savage 10FP. It is a great stock but when I mount the Harris on it and shoot a few rounds it seems that the harris keeps moving forward till the mount slide out the end of the rail after 50 or so rounds. Any ideas how to get it to stay in place better? If I crank it down anymore something on the bipod is going to bend so I rather not damage the bipod but I am tired of having to adjust it all the time. Anyone else have this issue with the mount slowly moving in the rail system? What are the fixes? Thanks

Re: Choate Tactical Stock Bipod Issues

I have the same stock and noticed immediately that I would have a problem when it came to mounting the Harris bipod. The Harris is designed to cradle a ROUNDED fore arm, the Choate has a FLAT fore arm. The Harris will also rotate easily on the flat fore arm. As a machinist, I made a thin rounded aluminum adapter that fit between the two. It has a hole for the stud and a tang that fits the rail on the Choate. I also drilled 4 SMALL holes in the thumb wheel of the Harris to be able to use safety wire to keep it under tension. I WOULD post pictures, but this is the only site I visit that will NOT allow me to upload directly from my personal files (WTF). I live in Cave Creek, are you going to "Big Sandy" www.mgshooters.com next month?? I hang with the TCB guys on the 50 yd line. Joe

Not sure if I will make "Big Sandy" as I have a work trip coming up shortly that is in the works at the moment. Anyway you could email pics?

If its got the rail adapter for the bipod, toss it, and install a sling stud with some spacers under it, to get it out of the rail cut out. Mine was a rocky POS, until I did that. The curved adapter would work too, especially if you could mount it permanantly.

Another option (which I'm considering) would be to just drill and tap a set screw on the sliding piece. once you install the bi-pod it will not allow the set screw to come out. Just a suggestion but that will be my quick fix

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option (which I'm considering) would be to just drill and tap a set screw on the sliding piece. once you install the bi-pod it will not allow the set screw to come out. Just a suggestion but that will be my quick fix </div></div>

ding,ding,ding.....you are the winner imho that is the best option...I did it to mine and it hasnt slipped any in at least 300 rounds....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option (which I'm considering) would be to just drill and tap a set screw on the sliding piece. once you install the bi-pod it will not allow the set screw to come out. Just a suggestion but that will be my quick fix </div></div>

ding,ding,ding.....you are the winner imho that is the best option...I did it to mine and it hasnt slipped any in at least 300 rounds.... </div></div>
ditto did it works better

Yea I was going to the screw route but wanted to see if there was something else out there prior is all.

I just love it when someone comes up with a simple, cheap fix to things. Common sense isn't dead, and fixes don't have to be complex or expensive if you are creative and just use common sense.

Nice job!

Thanks for all the agreement guys. Glad it's working out for others. Now I won't be worried about doing it. And yes, Common sense is still alive, at least I like to think so haha!Glad you got your answer and some evidence to go with it SmokinAce

I just did this last week. I took out one of the screws holding that rail in(10-32) and I put a sling stud(10-32) in it's place with a small washer/spacer under it to get it up high enough for the harris to attach. Got the sling stud from this Kit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dps50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just did this last week. I took out one of the screws holding that rail in(10-32) and I put a sling stud(10-32) in it's place with a small washer/spacer under it to get it up high enough for the harris to attach. Got the sling stud from this Kit </div></div>
This is exactly what I tried to describe, no drilling, done in a few minutes
laugh.gif

Thanks guys for the help. I have a few ideas past what I was thinking so we shall see what I come up with.

Thanks guys for the help. I have a few ideas past what I was thinking so we shall see what I come up with.

I simply attached the bipod to the adapter that came with the stock, pushed it back behind one of the screws, loosened the screw until it rested againts the front of the bipod, tightened down the bipod until it wouldnt budge back and then tightened the screw against the bipod until it was wedged in place. the stock is angled back so now it wont budge.