• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Tactical Stock for Savage model 12 LRP???????

jh26

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2012
IN
My father bought a Choate tactical stock: Choate Machine & Tool - Tactical Custom Package Savage Short Action Centerfeed Feed Stock - Product Details

My first concern is this is listed for the model 10. Upon speaking to my father he installed it and said that only 2 of the original action screws are being used, and the third does nothing on the new stock, it just threads into the stock according to my father??? He called Choate and they said no worries. I have read several threads on the affect of adjusting the torque on all three of these screws and its affect on accuracty. I also see that the model 10 only has 2 screws to begin with. I was planning on doing load development on this gun tomorrow, should I be worried about only 2 screws in the new stock? Any suggestions on the torque setting for just the 2 screws in this case?

Choate Tactical Stock for Savage model 12 LRP???????

Two-digit Savages are all short action, and generally anything that works for a 10 works for a Model 11, 12, 14 or 16 so long as action screw spacing is the same.

The "third screw" is probably the rear most trigger guard screw...thats only purpose is to hold the trigger guard.

Thank you for the info. I didnt want to assume the third screw didnt mean anything.

Good read, thanks. I think I will start 30 and 30, once I get a good load I will go back and run it though different torque specs.