• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock Remington 700 BDL

byrom1212

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
greenville tx
Has any one ever used this stock and if so what do you think of it?
578851.jpg

Re: Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock Remington 700 BDL

I have one, it is heavy but better than the injection molded plastic that came on my SPS-V.

m700borderweb.jpg

Plasters Disaster...Heavy, Ugly, hard on the hands...but every rifle I've ever seen in one was a shooter...

i run this stock on my savage and the rifle shoots. i like it. its stable and i like the rear monopod thumbwheel for vertical. its not sexy like the aics but...

Your showing the Ult. Varmit stock, the Ult. Sniper Stock is the one Jay5oh is showing. Personally I like the varmit one better.

Your post says "Ultimate Sniper," but the picture is of the "Ultimate Varminter" or whatever they call the varmint version. I'm not sure which one you're looking at. But I own an Ultimate Sniper, and it has a few disadvantages:
1. At six pounds, it's too fracking heavy.
2. The pistol grip is extremely large, even by my standards.
3. It's too fracking heavy.
4. The recoil pad is so hard it's more like a butt plate, which is a problem because the design seems to deliver a lot of felt recoil for something that fracking heavy.
5. It's too fracking heavy.
6. The stippling is designed for use with gloves, and has to be sanded down for use with bare hands.
7. It's too fracking heavy.
8. The steep angle on the forend makes the rifle a little unsteady on a Harris bipod.
9. It's too fracking heavy.

And did I mention it's a little too heavy?

The varmint version is a little lighter, at about 4+ pounds. It would still suffer from issues 2 and 4, and possibly 6. It wouldn't suffer from issue 8.

There are some things to like about it. The aluminum bedding block makes it easy to get good groups without having to do any bedding--just bolt the action in, torque it to 30 inch-pounds, and you're done. Spacers can give you a length of pull up to 16", which is very nice if you're not average-sized or smaller.

For a 700, I'd go with one of the new Bell & Carlson "light tactical" stocks long before I'd go with either of the Choates. If you need a longer-than average LOP, they can be special-ordered about an inch or so longer than standard.

have one on my 10fp tactical, bought it before i joined up here and get made fun of for it, but i like the heft, stability, honestly the grip fits me well, length and spacing work. Think i'll try one of these on my new remy project though...\
http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BEL2094
gets a lot of good reviews from some of the guys trying to tutor me in f class.