• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock

gatorglockman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Alabama, US
Greetings gentlemen. New to the forum/first post. Excellent website...can't believe I missed it....but then again, you were all donned in ghillie's.... hiding in sniper fashion.

I have a Savage 10FP in .308 with modest glass on top as my primary "target rifle". Anyone have opinions on Choate's Ultimate sniper or varmint stocks? Worth the scratch vs value?

Just trying to learn. My primary shooting is IDPA pistol matches, military long arms and my hunting rifles. May buy more/compete locally and have some fun.

Thanks in advance if you have beat this topic into the ground already.

Re: Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gatorglockman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anyone have opinions on Choate's Ultimate sniper or varmint stocks? Worth the scratch vs value?
</div></div>

A friend built a long range hunting outfit using the Choate's Ultimate sniper stock and while the rifle was accurate enough, it was damned heavy..Actually, it was really damn heavy!

All told I think there are better out there..

First we need to know what your shooting desire is and more importantly what your budget is. I do not own a Savage but have been around my fair share. Unless you are broke, the Choate is not the best choice, not by a long shot.

Again though, your budget and your shooting "desires", i.e. hunting, target, prone, bench, etc. would really help us give you better advice.

Thanks. We have a benchrest matches (100 yds) and target matches locally here (up to 440 yds). Right now, I have a standard Savage stock on it, a blackhawk cheek rest and a 10-40x 50mm scope with high rings and a bipod. It is a solid basic setup IMHO (can use it on those long open powerlines for whitetails at dawn/dusk too).

I don't want to spend more than $250 on a stock if I even do this, as I would rather spend on a new weapon at that point. Pretty envious of some of the collections on this site.

Just wondered if the Choate is indeed functional/of value or purely "tactikewl".....well I give it points there already.

My Choate works. On my .300 Win Mag, I would get sore shoulders when firing with the OEM stock. When I bolted on the Choate, the recoil force got redirected so it became much more comfortable to shoot.

My gunsmith bedded the recoil lug on my Savage Choate and I am able to pop 0.25 MOA groups with it. It works almost as well as my twice the price Sharp Shooter Supply Varmint Tactical stock.

The main issue with the Choate is I have to shim the magazine to the proper height to feed. It was designed for the attached magazine.

I have my 300WM in one as well, & can shoot .3 moa with it. It's heavy, & ugly, but functional. The only thing i'm going to do to it now is shave the bottom off smooth. I also used some filler to fill in the web reinforcing in the forstock so it wouldn't catch desbris.

I just purchased one. It is heavy but it is going to primarily be used on a bench or on the ground. I like some of the features so I am looking forward to seeing how ot functions.

try the choate tactical A5 copy. its gotten pretty decent comments from those that have tried it. its under $200 i think

I have the varmint stock on my 10fp 308 and I placed 13 in the fall ASC new shooters match.

I tried it, but on my SPS Tac it was 13lbs, a bit too heavy for me. I bought the choate tactical and like it so far.

i just went through the which stock decisions. After looking at many reviews on the choate sniper and the tactical a5 copy. I found the Bell & Carlson a3 medalist now i have the B&C on backorder at stockys. They say lead time could be 4-6 weeks. WONDERFUL

I think Midway had them in stock for a little more money.

It's a nice, stiff stock with a "no bedding needed" chassis and Vblock mounting system in it. It is a surprisingly accurate rifle with this stock on it.

I have one on a Savage Model 12. I'm pretty sure the stock weighs more than the rest of the rifle does.

I agree that there are better options out there for stocks for the overall package, however, I do think that the value gained for the money is worth it. If you can't afford to spend $500 or more on a Manners or McMillan but you can deal with a heavyier stock, then this is a good option.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks gents. Great insight. Went and searched Choate and did see the newer (since last visit) tactical stock they have.

Gonna mull it over. The rifle will be used for shooting house/rail supported hunting or benchrest matches. For the price of either of the Choate offerings discussed....seems like the group indicates it is good value to price. Weight seems to be the primary "concern" point of the product I inquired about. I am a large feller' and prior service....so toting a heavy piece around is not too much of a burden...but while I still workout...not sure I would want to tote a 10-12lb weapon on patrol like when I was a younger buck
wink.gif

I want to get this weapon dialed in/done and then move on to my next. Really waffling on a potential AR10 purchase or build.....but that is another thread or more research as I really dig into the info on the site.

Thanks again for the comments and welcome.

I had one on a Savage 300 Win. At that time there were not too many choices in a good solid stock.
The Choate as pointed out is HEAVY. It also took all the punishment out of my rifle and was superbly accurate. It was ugly, the barreled action was coated green by Birdsong, so the all OD made it "The booger shooter". My cousin still has it, all that he has changed is the barrel.
We did contour the grip though.

IIRC the F T/R Class world champion in 2009 is a UK shooter, his F T/R rifle has this stock on it. I think it was in a relatively recent (last 4 months) of Precision Shooting, and I was a little surprised after hearing some people speak negatively on it. My experience has been excellent with mine as I mentioned above.

I did notice the the texturing on some of the areas was sharp enough that I plan on hitting them with some 320 grit just to take the sharpest of the peaks off.

I have one of these stocks on a Remington 700 heavy barrel Varmint rifle .223. I bought the rifle new c. 1989.

From day 1, the rifle suffered from moving POI. It would sight in and with handloads shoot under a dime at 100 yards. Then next time you go shoot it, impact had moved 2 - 3 inches! All due to factory wood stock and damp NC weather. Ultimately, the gun went into a cabinet where it stayed for 10 years.

In about 2003, I put on a Plaster stock. It transformed the rifle. It's still a tack driver but now the POI never moves. Ever. It's been my only varmint rifle until recently when I got a Pre 64 70 in .220 Swift (which just may be too nice to shoot... ) But for woodchucks, crows, coyotes, foxes, etc. around my farm, the 700 with plaster stock has been deadly.

They are also very popular in the LE sniping community, so have been tested extensively in the field.

Advantages: Gun is transformed. Ergonomics are good. Stock is built like a brick outhouse. It didn't break the bank. It fit the rifle w. no modification. Looks pretty good.

Disadvantages: Heavy. The "stippling" is rough and benefits from some filing to take the edge off. The magazine well doesn't always work great (follower tilts). The cheekpiece(s) can benefit from some raising/lowering as fit is limited to high or low.

Overall, I am very happy with it and would recommend.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Very nice write up sirhrmechanic...thx!

Just got word I will be able to get into a hunt club I have been wanting to get into. It has some reclaimed land that will offer some excellent longer range shots on hawgs, deer and coyotes. I am pretty stoked.

May have to get the Choate and give it a go.