• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choice of Brass

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Out of the mainstream, more widely available stuff, Winchester, Federal, etc which seems to be the most consistent? I haven't been able to bring myself to buy Lapua yet but I'm sure I will soon. I have been using Federal and it seems to be holding up fine. Is it a weight issue? I know Winchester is known to have a little more capacity.
Please share your experiences.

Inconsistent brass is not consistent so finding the most most consistent inconsistencies isn’t going to have any positive effect. It’s a bit like which type of herpes is best to have.

Get good brass, not the best bad brass. It makes everything easier when brass isn’t the source of any problems.

I've had good results from Hornady factory ammo ... and reloading the brass after firing the factory loads. Also had solid results from both Peterson and Lapua. I think bullet, powder, load, sizing, annealing, etc. all probably have more impact than the specific brand of brass ... IMHO.

I’ve had good results with Winchester.
It’s not nearly as nice as my ADG brass though.

Last edited:
Lapua is the most consistent. Nosler is 2nd, IMO from experiences and weight tests. Mainstream non-premium brands, Winchester gets my vote. Hornady Match is phenomenal stuff, too...If you can find it. I've got a bunch of once-fired .308 Win Hornady Match (stamped Match on headstamp) from 15-20 years ago. Love that stuff. Produces results just as consistent as my Lapua .308 Win brass.

I would stay away from Federal & FC stamped brass for anything larger than .223. I've had more case/head separations from Federal brass than anything else.

My choices:
Lapua
Nosler

Lapua is well worth the cost. Nosler is what I use for my 300 WM. Which Lapua announced they’ll be making 300 WM this year

Many times when searching for a new caliber/barrel to try the first thing I’ll do is check the availability of quality brass.

ADG, Peterson, Norma are some others

For me if Lapua brass is available for a caliber I want to run my search ends there. I consider it very reasonably priced for the quality

ADG Lapua Peterson Nosler Alpha Norma Starline winchester hornady remington federal - not necessarily in that order but pretty much. If you are buying and its available get the good stuff. Cheap crap gets loose primer pockets, split necks etc sooner than the good stuff.

If it matters I'm talking about 5.56 and .308.
Been using Lake City for 5.56 and Im happy with it.
Ive also thought about the inconsistencies being inconsistent themselves. Makes sense. Probably going to grab some Lapua for the .308. Im on 4-5 firings on Federal .308, primer pockets still feel good and the necks and rims look good.

If it matters I'm talking about 5.56 and .308.
Been using Lake City for 5.56 and Im happy with it.
Ive also thought about the inconsistencies being inconsistent themselves. Makes sense. Probably going to grab some Lapua for the .308. Im on 4-5 firings on Federal .308, primer pockets still feel good and the necks and rims look good.
Lake City for 5.56 and cutting them down for .300 BLK is about the best (and strongest) you can get. It's what I prefer to use for mine.

For .308 Win, Lapua is the best, and worth EVERY penny. Old Hornady Match (if you can find some) is great stuff. Nosler is good. And if you're looking for brute strength, the Lake City 7.62x51 NATO brass will work great after some concentricity work and headstamp, year, & weight-sorting.