• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Choices for new hunting scope on AR10?

hrearden22

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2010
TX
New to the forums, but have been hunting for some time now. Most of my experience has been with Nikon Monarch, but have also used a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest on my AR for the past year or so.

Read about some good options beyond the Nikon and Zeiss on this site including the Vortex Viper, Millett, Sightron, Trijicon, Falcon and others. Also aware of more common alternatives like Bushnell 4200 and Leupold VX3, but wanted to poll the experts here.

The scope will go on an AR-10 that will be used primarily for white tail hunting / hog hunting a few times a year and then 5-7 trips to the range in the offseason during the year.

In a nutshell, key requirements are:
- $300 to ~$600 (willing to spend more for right options)
- medium power (12-16x)
- biggest functional requirement is low light (dawn and dusk) when I'll take most of my shots
- shots will usually be 150-200 yds with low chance of up to 300 yd shots (100 yd day time target shooting in offseason)
- mostly still targets so picking up movement not as important

Pretty sure that means I don't need the first focal plane or some of the slick parallax / windage adjustments, but would be nice to have illuminated reticle if I can find it.

The glass I have for the gun now is way overspec for what I need (Mint NF NXS 5.5-22x56 with NP-R1). Planning to sell to fund the new scope.

Re: Choices for new hunting scope on AR10?

I have a Zeiss Conquest with target turrets and side focus on my AR-10T, I have been happy with it.

Just use the nightforce. It's a good scope and only about a half pound or so heavier than most hunting optics out there. Also, if it's going on an LRT SASS you won't be carrying that thing very far (15-20lb rifle depending on what mags, scope and stock you have on it).

Brother I think a Millet will serve you fine. I have Sh#t load of expensive optics and my shooting buddy swears by Millet. Well he shoots as good as me and sometimes better (not saying much). Well I can tell you that they seem like a really great deal and well within your price point.

Love the idea of all the features you get in the Millett at that price point, but seems like some of the online reviews (the "official" ones) rate the glass as just below vx2, while others claim it works very well. Have others used it? How does the glass compare to the Monarch?

I have not looked through a monarch but I have heard excellent reviews on their glass so I would not expect the Millet to be better or the same ( I believe monarchs are a bit pricier however if you want them with similar features). I can say that the I have seen the Millet out to 600 yds(though on a sunny South Florida day) and it was very good considering the price point. BTW my shooting buddy has four of them 1-hunting rifle , 2-Target rifles, and 1- .50 rifle and none of them have given him any problems. I can say that if I needed a scope in there price point or slightly above I would not hesitate on a Millet. Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSituation</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In a nutshell, key requirements are:
- $300 to ~$600 (willing to spend more for right options)
- medium power (12-16x)
- biggest functional requirement is low light (dawn and dusk) when I'll take most of my shots
- shots will usually be 150-200 yds with low chance of up to 300 yd shots (100 yd day time target shooting in offseason)
- mostly still targets so picking up movement not as important
</div></div>
Nikon or Leupold have plenty of choices that will fit your requirements. Up to 300 yards, you don't really need exposed turrets: shooting within your point blank range. The Leupold VX-3 line is superb and their scopes are lightweight: important for hunters that stalk and/or hunt in hilly terrain.

For low light you might consider illuminated reticles, but most decent scopes with illumination are outside your stated price range. Instead, just get a scope with a low-end mag range: less that 2.5x..this will give good low- light performance because of the low magnification.

Just picked up a Trijicon TR22-2G for a hunting rifle. I have been impressed with its low light clarity. Does well at dusk. Its a little over your price point. I went with the 2.5-10 over 3-9 for the bigger tube and OBJ for better light gathering.

Well, bad news, I finally had a chance to take a look at the NF tonight and all I can say is wow. I'll be doing side by side off the bench compared to the Monarch and Zeiss Conquest this weekend, but I might be begging the wife to let me keep it after all.

We have 2 of those cheap leupolds on a preban & stag 15; 223. They are great for shooting logs & sticks at high water in the Yukon and targets but have something to be desired for hunting off snowmachine & atvs; for what it's worth.

Got a 4X32 Acog red dot/horseshoe ghost ring on the 6.8 stag and killed a caribou at over 600 yards a month back. Hit him twice outta 5 quick shots and he went down. Bad thing was the ghost ring was as big as the animal at that distance, hard to really hit the kill zone, just aiming at animal. Pretty sweet for low light & right after dark though.

Ordered an armalite 338 fed and really think that I'm going to go with one of those brackets that mounts dual sights/scope. Thinking about an eotec on top and a cheap monarch mounted to the left for longer range.

You can't go wrong with the SWFA super sniper scope if you want to stick with fix power. It can't be beat for a $300 scope.

I would keep the Nightforce since its a great scope and you already have it. Might not be the prototypical hunting scope but should work fine for what you have described. If you decide to get a new one, I have been happy with the Bushnell Elite series for the money and my new Vortex Viper looks promising. The Zeiss Conquest is good too but a little more. The last time I looked at them you could get a low end Swarovski for just over your price range, not much in the tactical features but great glass and a good hunting scope.