• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choices

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
My buddy is in the market for a new rifle, and has narrowed it down to 2.

badrock south fork
Seekins ph2

either way it will be a 6.5 creedmoor due to barrel life…he doesn’t give a damn about weight…and this gun will be flat out tortured..it will likely need a new tube in its first year. He will do every class he can take and hunt with this thing.

also, try as I might I can’t get him to budge on just building his own. So, that’s out of the question.

personally I think both are good..but I have no real experience with either except being on a wait list

Hunting and shooting out a barrel in a year aren't typically the same rifle

I think the badrock is probably the better choice. Factory heavier barrel and weight kit for target and get a dedicated barrel for hunting

Hunting and shooting out a barrel in a year aren't typically the same rifle

I think the badrock is probably the better choice. Factory heavier barrel and weight kit for target and get a dedicated barrel for hunting

I think you missed the part about "taking every class that he can"

Training + practice + a few hunts, yeah a dedicated rifleman can definitely burn a 6.5 anything in 365 days

Training + practice + a few hunts, yeah a dedicated rifleman can definitely burn a 6.5 anything in 365 days
I burned out a 7mm and a 260 barrel last year.
Definitely doable if you shoot a lot.

I’d definitely be looking at the bad rock.

Thats my point though. Not a lot of guys burnout out a hunting barrel in a year

Id rather burn out the barrel that comes on it with classes and throw a proof prefit or similar on it for hunts

Thats my point though. Not a lot of guys burnout out a hunting barrel in a year

Id rather burn out the barrel that comes on it with classes and throw a proof prefit or similar on it for hunts

The OP's friend does not want to build a rifle (even though that's what OP first recommended), so it sounds to me like he's the kind of guy who doesn't enjoy screwing around with guns. Sounds like he just wants a solution ready to go, and if something needs to be done he pays someone to do it.

So I don't think he'll be receptive to DIY barrel changes, no matter how easy they may be to you or me.

Or I could be completely full of shit........we'll see.

Reactions: b6graham
I have no experience with either action, but the Badrock comes with a better, more adjustable stock.

Who builds the actions for the Badrock rifles?

Are there still Seekins coupons out there? If so that'll help a lot with the cost

If I was your friend, I'd take a look on the PX.

Great deals to be had and probably better components for his rifle. The action *almost* doesn't matter. The barrel and stock will make the most difference. The rifles you mentioned may not use high quality barrels like Bartlein, kreiger, etc...

The OP's friend does not want to build a rifle (even though that's what OP first recommended), so it sounds to me like he's the kind of guy who doesn't enjoy screwing around with guns. Sounds like he just wants a solution ready to go, and if something needs to be done he pays someone to do it.

So I don't think he'll be receptive to DIY barrel changes, no matter how easy they may be to you or me.

Or I could be completely full of shit........we'll see.
Yeah, he ain’t that type of dude

Reactions: 308pirate
Badrock Bravo if it were my money.

The Badrock has one of the coolest actions Defiance makes IMO, it's a Tenacity with a coned-nose bolt, controlled-round-feed, and sliding extractor. If you get the Bravo version you have access to all the multiple KRG assecories like weights and ARCA stuff, and kitted out it'll hang with anything out there. The MDT chassis they offer is a dog because the upgrade options are few, with MDT it's either buy the ACC or forget it IMO.

If you look around, the Seekins rifles don't really have the greatest reputation... they're certainly not junk, but they don't exactly have a bunch of glowing reviews either. IMO the Seekins rifles are more geared towards and would be a great choice for a dedicated hunting rifle, IDK about beating on one for classes though.

Last edited:
Sounds like he just wants a solution ready to go, and if something needs to be done he pays someone to do it.
There’s a lot to be said for a solution ready to go. When its right, its right, and done, especially for fellows who are short on time due to age or other commitments.

Our son builds his own and does a great job. For me, at 72, I need to go out and shoot. Reloading takes enough time as it is (plus grass mowing, home maintenance, staying fit by cycling and getting in a sail because its both exciting and relaxing at the same time).

Life is short. If you are 30 or even 40, it is shorter than you think. Prioritize.

(And don’t forget the family)